Author Topic: Refurishing an old wood turning lathe  (Read 14788 times)

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
Re: Refurishing an old wood turning lathe
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2020, 10:13:05 PM »
Today i primed the parts from yesterday and finished the headstock blasting and priming. I finish disassembling the lathe. The wood platform it sits on will be sanded and coat with Polyurethane. The motor I will replace with a three phase with VFD. I did find the step pulley on Ebay and bidding on it and I will find out friday if I get it or not. Now need to get the bed to get it blasted along with the legs. I also ordered locking casters for the lathe to be able to move it around.

Don

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2020, 12:54:22 AM »
Thats moving along fast!.    What kinda paint are you using?
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2020, 01:40:42 AM »
Hi Dave so far this is just primer. I haven't decided on the color yet i will be checking different colors to see which looks best. I have attached the bed platform it had cracks in it i need to glue before i start sanding it,

Don

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2020, 01:52:16 AM »
Wow, huge difference!   :popcorn:

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2020, 11:11:57 PM »
i received all my parts ordered. New motor, speed drive, caster, tailstock wheel and V belt. The headstrock, tailstock and assorted parts have been painted final color. The motor mount assembly has been blasted and primed. I passed a MT2 reamer in the main shaft and Quill to remove high spots if any. I passed the shafts on the buffer to shine them and as you can see there are marks on them from abuse but all high spots carefully removed with needle file. I buffered the lathe bed to remove the rust and it is now ready to go to the blaster to remove paint and rust. That will be next week before it happens.

Don

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #35 on: January 31, 2020, 02:42:11 AM »
Making good headway Don.  :ThumbsUp:  It's nice to see this machine coming back to life.  :)

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #36 on: January 31, 2020, 04:18:56 PM »
Thanks Jim, not much to show just the platform sanded and polyurethaned with three coats. The platform still has some character marks in it to show its age.

Don

Offline awake

« Reply #37 on: January 31, 2020, 04:42:16 PM »
Don, in photo # 25 (reply # 30) above - it looks like you painted over the ball oilers. Maybe just the lighting ... ?
Andy

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #38 on: January 31, 2020, 11:32:44 PM »
Hi Andy your are correct they will be cleaned but not used. The bearings are double shield. Today I managed to assemble the tail stock and completer the tool rest. The headstock I ran into a problem. It seems the bearing are not direct replacement. The bearings were made to order i was told. The old bearing inside diameters are 25.2MM while the new bearing are 25MM.  To tight a fit and I need to think about this hard because trying to chuck the shaft in the lathe and remove .2 MM is going to be a chore. Alignment of the shaft to take .2 MM of and keep it true to the MT2 taper will take some doing. I can  chuck the front in a four jaw independent chuck but the tailstock end is the problem. I have a self centering live chuck but don't know how true it will run. Tomorrow I will check to see if I can put a four independent adjustment chuck to the live center if it doesn't run true at least that's my plan. The motor mounting assembly was painted.  I did a trial run on one of the chisel on the buffer and it cleans up great photo below.

Don
« Last Edit: February 01, 2020, 12:59:18 AM by Don1966 »

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #39 on: January 31, 2020, 11:36:15 PM »
Amazing how much better those parts look!

Offline john mills

« Reply #40 on: February 01, 2020, 07:58:46 AM »
the spindle bearings  how does the out side dia fit the housing  they weren't original imperial 1" inside  and 2" out side diameter were they.  Progress looks great.
    John

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #41 on: February 01, 2020, 03:27:10 PM »
Hi John, the bearings fit perfect in the housing but not the shaft. Measuring the inside race shows .2MM difference on the inside race. The shaft is  a 25.4MM shaft. Giving .4MM smaller then the bearing inside race. The bearings I bought would fit a Rockwell wood lathe who bought Walker Turner. These were the only bearings I could find because the original ones didn’t cross and the book said made to order so go fig.

Don

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #42 on: February 01, 2020, 10:42:50 PM »
Great thread Don. Just getting caught up with your progress to date. Bummer as to the bearings though, hope you can sort that out.

Bill

Offline derekwarner

• Wollongong ...... Australia
« Reply #43 on: February 02, 2020, 12:04:41 AM »
Don...are you using a telescopics to gauge the bore, then crossing over to a micrometer to confirm the dimension?.......Derek
« Last Edit: February 02, 2020, 04:06:02 AM by derekwarner »
Derek L Warner - Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op - Australia
www.ils.org.au

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #44 on: February 02, 2020, 04:26:21 AM »
Hi Derek, no using calipers but it’s very obvious the difference when I put the calipers on it. .2MM is almost .008 of a inch quiet a lot. Haven’t decided what I am going to do about it I will keep looking for exact replacement but they we made for that lathe from what a bearing dealer told me. I may have to make another shaft.

Bill thanks for looking in buddy!

Regards Don

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal