Author Topic: 3D printer - cheap as chips  (Read 20825 times)

Offline Mike Bondarczuk

Re: 3D printer - cheap as chips
« Reply #135 on: January 22, 2020, 03:31:03 PM »
Hi Mike,

Looking forward to hearing about your experiences with this printer and comparing your trials and tribulations to Jo's thread on the same subject.

Mike
"Everything I can't find is in a totally secure place"

Online Vixen

• Hampshire UK
« Reply #136 on: January 22, 2020, 03:36:29 PM »
Hello Mike,

It's almost the same machine as Jo's. Hopefully Jo will have tramped down all the long grass before I get there.

Mike
It is the journey that matters, not the destination

Sometimes, it can be a long and winding road

Offline nj111

« Reply #137 on: January 22, 2020, 04:25:19 PM »
Interesting read, I had always dismissed getting involved in having one of these, but at that small investment I have changed my mind and have to agree a very useful addition to the workshop. Thank you for Jo for the info. Nick
Nick

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #138 on: January 22, 2020, 05:03:46 PM »
It will be interesting to see if the printer they deliver matches the photos on Fleabay  :) Mine didn't  ::)

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Online Vixen

• Hampshire UK
« Reply #139 on: January 22, 2020, 05:16:04 PM »
It will be interesting to see if the printer they deliver matches the photos on Fleabay  :) Mine didn't  ::)

Jo

I doubt if most e-bay sellers of cheap Chinese imports, have ever opened a box to look inside. They use stock photos or copy the next guy's advert. At that low price you pays yer money and takes yer chance.

Mike
It is the journey that matters, not the destination

Sometimes, it can be a long and winding road

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #140 on: January 22, 2020, 08:58:57 PM »
There is a superficial 'look a like' to it until you really look closer - then hardly anything is like the Prusa ....

The bed is no way near the fantastic original - but then again, that part alone cost more from Prusa than the whole printer shown here .... I will guess that most of the chassis and the moving parts are OK in comparison.
Other "missing bits" are the self leveling features on the Prusa, regular Firmware updates, etc... but I am a bit surprised that they can do it this cheap  :headscratch:

I hope you both will have some nice experiences with them  :cheers:

Per

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #141 on: January 22, 2020, 09:17:59 PM »
Per, I still see it as a cheap introduction to 3D printing which if it was no good it can go in the bin without loosing a fortune.

Jo

Offline JC54

• Grantham, Lincolnshire, UK
« Reply #142 on: January 22, 2020, 09:40:18 PM »
Good evening Jo and all,
                   SWMBO has decided that you are a wicked Lady Jo, enticing us innocents into going down the 3D rabbit hole.  I have bought almost the same printer as you and Vixen. Got it assembled without too much trouble with a chinglish dictionary.. :lolb: Hopefully will try to melt some plastic tomorrow. There are several parts that will need replacing/improving as you found but I want to see if it makes bits before spending a lot of time on it. One part that is baffling me is the 5 screen buttons. :killcomputer: they appear to have a will of their own and do what they like, nothing repeatable. Contrary to SWMBO so far I am enjoying the ride. John  :old: :DrinkPint: :DrinkPint:
When the Fun Stops,, Stop!

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #143 on: January 22, 2020, 10:12:31 PM »
SWMBO has decided that you are a wicked Lady Jo,

:facepalm:

I have never achieved been called that  :lolb:

The buttons  :Doh: Press the one in the middle to select something (you may need to press it twice   ::) ) the ones on the outside give access to the menus like with pull down menus but they don't pull down.

Lets try to explain this  :thinking: From the top screen press the middle button until the screen changes. Then use the bottom button to go down to "prepare" then press the button on the right to go to the lower level screen (I know you want to use the middle button to select it but it doesn't work that way). Use the bottom button to go down to "Home" and press the middle button to select and the machine should home to the front left side of the bed but make sure you have set the Z axis stop before you select this so the print head does not crash into the bed  :toilet_claw: .

(I hope I got that right but the machine has been put away for the evening and any intrusions into Surus' domain late at night will be seen as a possible attempt at Casting stealing  :paranoia: and that will cause the entire casting collection to be moved around all night while he checks nothing is missing  )

Jo
« Last Edit: January 22, 2020, 10:28:20 PM by Jo »

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #144 on: January 22, 2020, 10:14:36 PM »
It wasn't meant as a negative comment - more my astonishment over something this cheap can have so much superficial resemblance to the 'original'  :o .... and as you have say (more than once) - the price is low enough, not to worry  :ThumbsUp:  - but it will provide you with more work to get it useable.

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #145 on: January 22, 2020, 10:49:57 PM »

In your case Jo................. I think SWMBO means "Surus Who Must Be Obeyed".    :LittleDevil:

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #146 on: January 22, 2020, 10:52:15 PM »

In your case Jo................. I think SWMBO means "Surus Who Must Be Obeyed".    :LittleDevil:

Jim

:lolb:

But you're wrong.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline JC54

« Reply #147 on: January 23, 2020, 04:38:07 PM »
Many thanks Jo  for the explanation of the buttons, they do not seem logical to me. Pleased its not just me having to press buttons several times to get them to react.
        I would not dare argue with Surus he would be checking my workshop for castings and leaving footprints in the butter. :old: :DrinkPint: :DrinkPint: John
             Oh yes melted some plastic today  :cartwheel: :pinkelephant: :whoohoo:

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #148 on: January 23, 2020, 05:09:05 PM »

Well done John, do we get to see some pics?  :)

Surus has shown little interest in normal dairy butter however Peanut butter is another matter: since he discovered it I have not found any in the house   :disappointed: irrespective of however many jars I thought I had purchased :noidea:

Jo

Offline JC54

« Reply #149 on: January 23, 2020, 09:35:17 PM »

Well done John, do we get to see some pics?  :)

Yes will try to post some pics tomorrow. Just spent 1 hour 45 mins watching printer do it's thing, :shrug: I know but TV is C**P , then realized  thingiverve person had only listed 3 out of 4 necessary files.... What a waste of time and filament. Got to go now, the "MEN IN THE  LITTLE WHITE COATS" have come to take me away.. Why is SWMBO holding door open?  :old: :DrinkPint: :DrinkPint: John

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal