Author Topic: 1/4 Scale Cosworth DFV Engine  (Read 11989 times)

Offline gerritv

• St Catharines, ON
Re: 1/4 Scale Cosworth DFV Engine
« Reply #60 on: July 29, 2020, 06:09:40 PM »
Ferrari 308 method:
Single helical gear on crank driving 2 cam drive gears with pulleys. Good for repeated 7500 rpm from my experience :-)
Don't confuse activity with progress

Online steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #61 on: July 29, 2020, 06:36:21 PM »
Or...even just a single reduction gear off the crank to a single timing belt pulley driving two belts, with a larger diameter so more tooth engagement....but if you have 6 teeth engaged at 180....you're probably fine....just looks small.

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline JonC

« Reply #62 on: July 29, 2020, 08:27:19 PM »
Hi Steamer, I agree it doesn't give much engagement but working back from the cam pulley size restriction it's the biggest I can get on the crank.

The bouland engine below is 1/3rd scale and looks like its using a 12.7mm single belt driving both cam shafts from a similar small crank pulley.

Jon

Mike and Jon,   What size is the crank shaft pulley?.....

Dave, it's 3/8" diameter and cam pulley 3/4" diameter

Jon
It's not what you know, it's not who you know.
It's what you know about who you know

Offline JonC

« Reply #63 on: July 29, 2020, 08:31:13 PM »
My usual starting point for actual designs (when I am not winging it) is: https://sdp-si.com/D820/PDFS/Technical-Section.pdf

6 teeth seems to be minimum wrap. Belts that are wider than diameter of pulley give tracking issues. Short belts also give tracking issues. Roundinsh profiles have less cogging action and don't tend to ride up the pulley as much. But their profiles are generally proprietary although the sdp-si manual conveniently gives the related patent numbers for further educaation. They can apparently be approximated using ball nose end mills and cnc. :-)

One suggestion might be to gear drive from crank to the large central pulley, then single belt from there around al the cams. Outside idlers are preferred over ones riding on teeth.

Gerrit,

Some useful info, thanks. I think having two belts running next to each other may cause problems if they don't track perfectly and there's no room for a central flange to separate them.

A take off from an intermediate off the crank sounds like a plan.

Jon

Offline JonC

« Reply #64 on: July 29, 2020, 08:48:27 PM »
Hmm, problem.
I need to keep the top centre pulley running at half crank speed. It drives the auxiliary pullies for the water and oil pumps as well as the distributor.

Lucky old Mr Duckworth didn't have this problem before the invention of toothed belts.

Online steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #65 on: July 29, 2020, 08:49:56 PM »
Hmm, problem.
I need to keep the top centre pulley running at half crank speed. It drives the auxiliary pullies for the water and oil pumps as well as the distributor.

Lucky old Mr Duckworth didn't have this problem before the invention of toothed belts.

You could gear drive off the crank to the intermediate pulley and drive everything else with belts from there....

That's what I was getting at ....

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline JonC

« Reply #66 on: July 29, 2020, 08:56:59 PM »
Got it. I'll have a play with some layouts.

Thanks Dave  :ThumbsUp:

Online Vixen

• Hampshire UK
« Reply #67 on: July 29, 2020, 09:34:49 PM »

I think having two belts running next to each other may cause problems if they don't track perfectly and there's no room for a central flange to separate them.
Jon

Would you have enough room to fit two plain toothed pulleys ( i.e. without end flanges) onto the crankshaft with a thin 10 thou (0.25mm) washer between them to act as a combined flange, to stop the two belts rubbing and fighting each other?

Mike
It is the journey that matters, not the destination

Sometimes, it can be a long and winding road

Offline JonC

« Reply #68 on: July 30, 2020, 07:52:36 PM »
Mike, yes that would work or maybe just slice them to bits  :Lol:

I cant do anything in the way of an intermediate arrangement off the crank and then another off to the cams as this inevitably creates a third step in the train.

I've ordered some standard pullies 9.55mm Diameter and 19.1mm diameter and will mock up the arrangement to see what sort of load it can take.

Online Vixen

• Hampshire UK
« Reply #69 on: July 30, 2020, 11:18:15 PM »
Mike, yes that would work or maybe just slice them to bits  :Lol:

Ummm!!! a Cosworth powered bacon slicer    Interesting idea   :facepalm:

Mike

Offline JonC

« Reply #70 on: May 07, 2021, 08:36:07 PM »
Hi all,

I haven't posted for a while. I hope everyone is keeping well.

I've been working on the moulds for the belt driven DFV and have been on a bit of a journey of realization that although something can be drawn to look like it will work, the reality can sometime be very different.
I drew up the belt driven version with some modifications ie cylinder stagger to allow for 6mm belts etc but thought it best to then replicate what would be the finished machined version from it. I then realised that there were numerous issues with clearances and wall thicknesses that had to be rectified.
The result has been countless toing and froing between mould and machined in order to achieve something that hopefully is a viable working model.

Online Vixen

• Hampshire UK
« Reply #71 on: May 07, 2021, 08:59:12 PM »
Hello Jon,

That looks to be a very practical solution to the staggered cylinders and belts.  :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp:

I assume the crankshaft pulley has the two belts running side by side.

I am impressed with your idea of building a plastic mock-up to tease out all the tolerance and clearance issues before you commit to the castings. You cannot afford to find problems, once the die is cast, as they say.

Mike

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #72 on: May 07, 2021, 09:14:33 PM »
An interesting development. As I recall the Cosworth developments were first the FVA (four valve Anglia based on the Ford engine) then came the BDA (belt drive Anglia, heavily developed for rallying) and the DFV (double four valve Formula 1 engine). There was also a development of the Ford V6 with belt driven four valve heads.
Best regards

Roger

Offline JonC

« Reply #73 on: May 07, 2021, 10:17:28 PM »
Hello Jon,

That looks to be a very practical solution to the staggered cylinders and belts.  :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp:

I assume the crankshaft pulley has the two belts running side by side.

I am impressed with your idea of building a plastic mock-up to tease out all the tolerance and clearance issues before you commit to the castings. You cannot afford to find problems, once the die is cast, as they say.

Mike

Mike,

the block moulds are printed in six different parts, hence the elastic bands holding it together, it's the only way to produce the waxes. I have splits the "machined" print in the same way in order to try and maintain accuracies (less support area etc)
because this produces a much better quality print of a complex shape, I'm also applying it to the "true" DFV model (geared etc) meaning that it should be easier for people to print themselves. Also there's less likelihood of scrapping a print because one area failed.
Maybe your cheap Chinese printer might still be able to produce a decent model?

Jon

Offline JonC

« Reply #74 on: May 07, 2021, 10:55:46 PM »
An interesting development. As I recall the Cosworth developments were first the FVA (four valve Anglia based on the Ford engine) then came the BDA (belt drive Anglia, heavily developed for rallying) and the DFV (double four valve Formula 1 engine). There was also a development of the Ford V6 with belt driven four valve heads.

Hi Roger,

Yes you are correct. Maybe this is the FVBDA and not DFV ? I'm sure Mr Duckworth would've preferred to work with belts rather then multiple gear trains?

jon

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal