Author Topic: Workshop heating  (Read 8117 times)

Online Twizseven

Re: Workshop heating
« Reply #75 on: January 13, 2021, 10:37:04 PM »
I remember a fair few years ago using big two handed grinder to clean a weld up whilst i was in the garage.  After a short while I could start to smell smoke and hear  slight crackling noise.  Turned round to find a big paper bag full of a fine wire wool was glowing merrily away and burning away the bag it was in.  The sparks from the grinder had landed in the wire wool and set it off.

Luckily this was only minor and easily sorted.  My worse fire was when my gas fluxer attached to my oxy-acetylene kit failed big time and fireballed me and the garage.

Colin

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
Re: Workshop heating
« Reply #76 on: January 14, 2021, 03:47:44 AM »
Fortunately I have no experience lighting fires accidentally. Just lighting the grill to cook a steak. But me and my brother used to fill the wood box for the furnace that heated the house. That meant splitting the stuff that was to big to fit in the stove, the colder it was the easier it split. :old:
Art
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

Offline Caber

Workshop heating
« Reply #77 on: January 14, 2021, 10:27:23 AM »
Folks I think we have missed an opportunity here. Should we not revert to an old fashioned Cornish or Lancashire boiler, put in line shafting and a steam engine using exhaust steam through radiators for heating and a small generator from the line shaft  for lighting? Feedstock for the boiler can be gathered from local builders skips and we instantly get rid of electricity and gas bills so more to spend on castings and tools

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal