Supporting > Boilers

Flash Steam Generator (slow burning thread...)

<< < (2/6) > >>

gary.a.ayres:
The blowtorch arrived. Monitor 134:

It's a beauty - small but heavy and solid. Oozes quality.

But will it work?

It's of the self-pressurizing type - no plunger. It says on the reservoir 'benzolene and petrol only'. There's a spirit cup to preheat the burner. Scary...  :Mad:

I suppose I'd better try it out at some point. Will report back here...

:)

gary

gary.a.ayres:
Disassembled the blowtorch tonight. It looks to be in pretty good condition. I gave the parts a clean in kerosene and replaced one perished fibre washer with an o-ring. Overall it's a lovely bit of kit and as long as the wick - which I didn't remove - is in ok condition I can see no reason why it shouldn't work.

Also ordered a cheap plastic jerry can from Amazon so as soon as that arrives I'll go along to the garage, get some petrol, and try the torch out.

Alyn Foundry:
Hi Gary.

That's a nice lamp, I've been a collector in the past but with more interest in lighting, Tilley etc.

It is indeed a spirit lamp and will run well on the unleaded fuel available today. For a clean start use Methylated spirit in the cup and only fill the tank to between 2/3 and 3/4 full.

Light the Meths and let it heat up until most has gone before gently opening the control valve whereupon the vaporised fuel should ignite and burn quite cleanly.

From experience and stories I'd suggest an outside area, clear of combustible items to test your lamp. Point it away from anything that can be caught up to six feet from it because if the fuel hasn't quite vapourised a burning stream of fuel could very quickly change the title of your thread....   :)

Cheers Graham.

Post script.

I've attached a picture of one of my rarest Tilley lamps, an IL33. ( Doughnut tank ) These were used to illuminate without casting a shadow. It was recommended by Tilley that 3 should be used to fully illuminate a Billiard table. They hold a large volume of Paraffin and were pressurised by the use of a bicycle pump.

gary.a.ayres:

--- Quote --- ... a burning stream of fuel could very quickly change the title of your thread....   :) 
--- End quote ---

Yes indeed!   :Lol:

Thanks for your thoughts, Graham.

I had most of the bases that you mention covered apart from how much petrol to put in, so thanks for that.

However I do have a couple of other questions:

Do I put the fuel in the safety valve/butterfly nut opening at the top, or does it go into the opening at the bottom (I suspect the latter but don't actually know)? Or is either ok?

Also, when I take the bottom cap off, the opening seems to be totally occluded by a fibrous material which I assume is the bottom of the wick. Is it normal for it to close off the hole like this? And will the petrol soak into it easily despite it being pretty dense?

Other than that, I think I'm fairly clear about it.

Cheers,

gary

:ThumbsUp:

Alyn Foundry:
Hi Gary.

Yes, you fill it from the top. I'm not really sure what the plug fitted underneath was for, never found a lamp that came with instructions. Possibly to drain water, who knows?

Now, before I forget. The main reason these lamps got removed from service virtually everywhere was the fact that many who'd used Paraffin lamps had the habit of turning them off by releasing the pressure at the filler. With a Petrol version this practice is disastrous!! It results in a " fireball " not good at all.

Be safe, cheers Graham.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version