Engines > From Plans

30ft 1890's navy steam launch 1/6th scale

(1/227) > >>

tghs:
seeing this all started with the 1900 navy plans, found the navy boat 1900 that had the hull and fittings plans, contacted a full size steam guy who has several on the engines.. he provided engine plans and boiler/ engineering drawings.. 1/6th scale was selected because the Stuart Turner compound launch engine kit could provide the engine cylinder block,, the navy engine was design onto itself framework and bed wise.. I made masters for the needed "navy" parts , molds made,waxes cast, brass castings made,, other brass boat parts made (soldering, milling, turning,) last Jan.. things made a big jump with the arrival of a LMS 3990 mill,,my shop space was moved taking about 2 months time but now I'm back up and working..

Vixen:
Hello tghs and welcome,

You are setting the bar very high with this navy steam launch.  Very impressive, and excellent workmanship on the brass castings and waxes, Likewise, nice work on the sternpost and rudder.

Looks like you have a good set of lines and drawings for the hull. Do you have the full size launch nearby? You did not say which part of the world you are from or who's navy the launch belonged to.

Mike

PS    Ha ha, I have always wanted some "white oak futtocks" (second to last photo)

tghs:
 I'm located in central North Carolina,, the boat is a US navy steam cutter,, in 1900 the navy printed a plan book to standardize boat building at the shipyards,, everything from 6ft work punts to 40ft steam cutters,, the rare book room at the university where I work has copy,, my full size steamboat contact has 2,, one that is unbound so he could send me flat copies,, (he is pushing me to do this correct) the only known existing example of this type of boat is a 40ftr  for the early version of the battleship New Jersey,, several years back it was restored to it's original fitment.. the restorers have been great about supplying me with any needed info.. this  "beast" has been in the planning for years..  most of the story can be found here..
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?3018430-US-navy-28ft-steam-cutter
this will be a long term project, it wouldn't have got this far without the great help from others..

crueby:
Excellent work on the parts so far!!!

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Chipswitheverything:
Thanks for posting the project photos and information, this looks like being a most interesting build with a lot of character and prototype realism.  Admire the work that you have done so far.   Dave

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version