Supporting > Casting

Casting brass

(1/2) > >>

Jim:
I have an unlimited supply of brass such as taps, tap spindles and other plumbing parts.

How hard is it to cast brass into barstock for turning on the lathe? Is it within the realm of a backyarder?

steam guy willy:
I think you may have to add various other things to the mix like flux and stuff but not too sure....
Willy

Pete49:
If cast iron can be done in the backyard I can't see why not. There is a forum, whose name escapes me at the moment..???avenue?, and backyard metal casting are 2 from memory.

Bluechip:

--- Quote from: Pete49 on July 21, 2019, 04:51:08 AM ---If cast iron can be done in the backyard I can't see why not. There is a forum, whose name escapes me at the moment..???avenue?, and backyard metal casting are 2 from memory.

--- End quote ---

http://www.alloyavenue.com/vb/forum.php                       ??

:thinking:

Dave

Mcgyver:

--- Quote from: Jim on July 21, 2019, 12:36:49 AM ---How hard is it to cast brass into barstock for turning on the lathe? Is it within the realm of a backyarder?

--- End quote ---

I would say no.  The casting part is possible (but is challenging given the zinc wants to burn off before the copper is melted).  More the issue is what do you end up for bar stock.  Lots of brasses are no fun to machine, its 360 free cutting brass that is the brass we know and love.  imo there's about zero chance of taking a bunch of basically mystery yellow metal and getting something that will resemble turning the brass (360) you want. 

I think you'd be ahead take what you've got to the scrapper and buy 360 bar stock.  I guess it also depends on where you're at - if an experience foundryman with all the tackle its a little different proposition to try than from a standing start

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version