Author Topic: A Blast from the Past  (Read 2128 times)

Offline Captain Jerry

• Summerfield, FL USA
A Blast from the Past
« on: October 31, 2012, 11:57:20 PM »
After I got my 4 1/2" flywheel finished for the unCorliss, I still hadn't finished reworking the valve rod so I pulled another engine down from the top shelf to run it on.  The first engine I grabbed was the vertical overcrank engine that I built last year.  I always thought that engine needed a bigger flywheel but I never got around to it.  Not only did it look better, the performance was much better.  All of the engines on the top shelf began to jump up and down and shout "Now do me!"  I couldn't resist.  They all got a turn and they all ran better except for the 4 cylinder Weeble that is the oldest engine on the shelf.  It uses a rotary valve on the shaft and has some hours on it and the weight of this flywheel causes some air leak.  It ran better if I laid it over so the valve was vertical but it was happier with a lighter flywheel.

Here is a compiled view of all four engines.  If you wonder why you don't hear the air compressor kicking in, wait until the last segment.

Jerry
NOTARY SOJAK

There are things that you can do and some things you can't do. Don't worry about it. try it anyway.

Offline Bezalel

Re: A Blast from the Past
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2012, 12:16:28 AM »
 Hi Jerry

Some interesting engines there,

Thanks for sharing  :ThumbsUp:

The title just makes me think  :disagree:  the last thing you need with that compresser is for the presure relief valve to operate!   :LittleDevil:

( did I say that out loud?   :facepalm: )

Cheers
Queensland - wet one day, humid the next

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal