Author Topic: Excel Die Filer  (Read 3601 times)

Online Twizseven

Excel Die Filer
« on: May 23, 2019, 08:20:09 PM »
I have recently obtained an Excel Die Filer.  It runs almost silently.  I have had to top up the oil reservoir and have also fitted a Stop/Start/NVR switch.  I have obtained a few parallel files which require some modifications to enable me to use them on the machine.

It came with the Saw overarm but not the File Support arm (and roller) or pillar.

The pillar is easy to replicate its just a piece of 1.25" round bar.  The roller support arm and the hold down clamp appear from the couple of photographs I have seen to be identical castings but fitted the opposite way to each other on the pillar.  The support arm has round bar inserted/clamped in the end which is possibly around 1/2" in diameter and which has a roller on the end.  The second casting has a possibly similar sized bar which is belt to form the hold down arm.

Does anyone have any good pictures of these items and could provide me with the dimensions.  I would like to try and get a pattern made and have a pair of arms cast.

Thanks in advance.

Colin

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
Re: Excel Die Filer
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2019, 05:37:04 PM »
Don't have drawings, and nothing for the Excel filer...but I've been looking at these for inspiration

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2019, 05:59:46 PM »
The second to last picture shows a die filer that is mounted between centers, and driven by a lathe.    MT2 taper shank on the right, and a crank drive on the left.

I have the Martin castings, but I have no bench space to spare for a die filer and a motor to drive it.    So I'm modifying my build to follow the lathe driven solution.

That way the whole thing goes in the lathe cabinet when not in use, and I'll have variable speed drive.   

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Online Twizseven

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2019, 08:03:39 PM »
I now have pictures and dimensions for the missing arms :ThumbsUp:, so need to get a drawing done and make a pattern.  Can then get a couple of castings done and make a set of arms which will hopefully look a bit like the original ones fitted to the machine.
Colin

Offline stvy

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2019, 05:14:16 PM »
Hi,

I too have an excel filing machine. Would you be interested to make some measurements of the saw overarm?

Thanks,
Steve

Online Twizseven

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2019, 12:17:15 PM »
Steve,

Sorry only just seen this post, will sort out photo and some measurements.

Have just collected my castings, ended up with a few extras.

Just waiting for the third casting to be done.

If anyone is in the market for a set of arms for an Excel Die Filer please PM me.

Colin

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2019, 04:26:31 PM »
Those look like nice castings Colin  :) Which foundry did you use to do them?

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Online Twizseven

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2019, 04:55:52 PM »
Purbright Castings in Willenhall.  Very pleased with them.  At least have a spare or two in case (when) I cock up machining a pair.  Just waiting for another casting to be done which should hopefully have next week.

Are you going to Midland Model Show in Oct?

Colin

Online Twizseven

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2019, 09:48:44 PM »
A week after I collected the first batch of castings I was able to collect the castings for the pillar base.  The first picture shows a set of the three castings. :)

Now finally managed to make a start on the castings.  The cast iron machines beautifully and with no hard spots.  My parting off of the base from the chucking piece, did not quite go to plan.  Glad I had goggles on as my HSS parting blade shattered and sent bits all round the workshop. :censored:  It had to stick out quite a bit from the holder to clear the large boss on the casting.  Reverted to plan B and put it in the bandsaw.

The support arms I am doing on the Bridgeport clone. They faced off nicely and I reamed the first one, having gone through several drill up to 13/16", then had a go at boring out a little further prior to reaming it 7/8".  It cam out just a tad loose.  The second one I bored out all the way from the 13/16".  This came out much better. :ThumbsUp:  Live and learn.  Do like the auto downfeed on the mill and the auto-retraction once it has got to depth.

Then fitted the new horizontal milling attachment to drill and slit the support arms, only to find the R8 arbor would not fit.  Checked all my arbors and R8 collets and only found 3 that would fit, around a further 20 would not insert. :thinking: Of the three that fitted, one was a few years old and the other was brand new and came with the horizontal attachment.  The bore in the horizontal attachment was absolutely on size to the R8 spec.  Almost all the other collets and arbors were a couple of tenths over spec and had to be polished with a bit of emery in the lathe.  A couple of them then wanted the keyway cleaning up with a file.  Got there in the end.

Just need to sort out the alignment of the horizontal attachment and then set the castings up for my first attempt with a slitting saw.  Keep your fingers crossed.

Second photo shown arms bored out.

Colin

Online Twizseven

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2019, 08:51:58 PM »
They are now all done bar a coat of paint.
Quite pleased how they have turned out.

Even my attempt at heat treatment of the roller worked.  Last time did this is was for my dad about 30 years ago.

Colin

Online Twizseven

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2020, 01:32:00 PM »
Steve,

Sorry about the delay.

See attached pictures of saw overarm, and annotated pictures.  For simplicity I have measured in mm.  But it is all Imperial.  The various bars are standard Imperial sizes.  Threads can be whatever you wish.

Colin

Online Twizseven

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2020, 01:33:45 PM »
More Pictures

Online Twizseven

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2020, 01:35:09 PM »
More Pictures

Online Twizseven

« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2021, 03:21:08 PM »
All my first batch of castings have now gone out to various people on this forum and Model Engineer.  I have been asked for a further set, so currently I am waiting to collect three sets of castings from the foundry, with one set promised this leaves two sets available to anyone who is interested.  Please PM me for further details.

I see there is a Die Filer for sale on Ebay at present for anyone who may be looking.

Regards,

Colin

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal