Author Topic: Alexander/Deckel Cutter Grinder  (Read 3809 times)

Offline gerritv

• St Catharines, ON
Alexander/Deckel Cutter Grinder
« on: May 05, 2019, 04:29:25 PM »
I recently acquired for a very good price an Alexander 2CGD in very good condition.

I need to make wheel hubs and a motor mount platform but other than cleaning and lubrication the machine is fine.

While taking, or rather trying, to take the work head apart I have run into some issues.
1. I can't get the collet spindle out without what seems to be excessive force. It is very stiff to turn in its working position, when pushing it out of the casting it gets stuck. I can't feel any burrs in that spot but I will deburr anyway to see if that gets it out of the casting. I really don't want to scar up the inside of the casting!

2. how stiff should it be to turn the collet spindle when in use?

3. The collet spindle has a partially graduated collar, is that supposed to be turn-able without rotating the collet holder? It seems to only turn that way in concert with the black knurled knob right behind it.

gerrit, still patiently waiting to get ignition going for my Ridders Glass Engine :-(
« Last Edit: May 10, 2020, 12:21:32 AM by gerritv »
Don't confuse activity with progress

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
Re: Alexander/Deckel Cutter Grinder questions
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2019, 08:13:55 PM »
The Collet spindle should rotate easily in the holder.  The pull knob above the face of the collect locks it into the dividing wheel.

You should be able to unscrew the knurled knob and remove the collet, then the collet spindle  has two locking nuts that are locked together to adjust the friction pressure on the spindle.

Jo
« Last Edit: May 05, 2019, 08:18:40 PM by Jo »
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline gerritv

• St Catharines, ON
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2019, 10:02:19 PM »
Hi Jo,
Thank you, I removed those 2 locking nuts and the spindle is still very tight. Perhaps the grease/lubrication is my age and also locking up a bit more every month.
Will soak overnight in something and go from there. Knowing it should rotate easily is good news and now my goal.

Is the LH graduated wheel supposed to move independently of the middle knurled wheel as well (D7 and T7 in your diagram)? D7 seems to be threaded on, perhaps it is too tight. None of the manuals seem to describe those graduations. I had to soak and release the traversing knob and graduation wheel so thinking this other one should move as well.

This is a beautifully built machine and while not with Deckel on the label it seems equivalent care was time during its build. No sloppiness at all.

gerrit

Offline gerritv

• St Catharines, ON
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2019, 02:59:01 AM »
Success!! Your diagram is the clearest yet that I have seen of this assembly.

I got the graduated dial/lock ring/detent assembly apart, cleaned, lightly oiled/wiped and put back together correctly (the knurled locking ring had been put on backwards). I can now lock the collet shaft, unlock the dial, move the dial some # of degrees and lock it again.

The collet spindle also turns easier after cleaning out the ancient oil/gum. Still a bit stiff but much more usable. I might take it apart again and soak it overnight in paint thinners.

Next step is to carve out some hubs!! Thankfully I have a bunch of 2" Atlas SPS at hand. I think it is like 1144 stressproof.

gerrit

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2019, 06:52:12 AM »
Well done Gerrit  :)

The manual for these grinders is available on line: http://www.neme-s.org/Shaper%20Books/DECKEL%20OPERATING%20INSTRUCTIONS.pdf

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2019, 10:15:55 PM »
Thanks Jo that book helps with my Tool cutter grinder! I had bought this one from northern tools years back look almost like a Deckel!

:cheers:
Don

Offline Mcgyver

• Toronto
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2019, 11:42:19 PM »
did you get the depth of cut assembly apart?  Been waiting for some brave soul to go first :)

They're beautifully made.  i don't use mine too often (have 2 T&CG's for regular work), but figured one day I'd be able to get through the manual without the head hurting.  Hasn't happened yet

congrats on a nice addition

Offline gerritv

• St Catharines, ON
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2019, 12:24:11 AM »
Thank you, it is incredibly well made. Not used to that at all :-)

Do you mean the traversing knob on bottom lh side of machine? I had that off to get the graduated dial to turn for setting zero. I need to make hook wrenches for some other disassembly, using screw driver and hammer to loosen those off is just not the thing to do on this machine. Then the whole traversing shaft will come out for cleaning so stay tuned.

Clearances are tight enough that dried up lubricant will seize things up!

Offline gerritv

• St Catharines, ON
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2019, 01:22:48 AM »
First wheel collet almost completed. I made 2 jigs/holders so far, 1 or 2 more to do before starting 'production'.

Offline gerritv

• St Catharines, ON
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2019, 02:20:16 AM »
Some more progress, almost ready for routine use.

I ended up making 9 wheel hubs, 6 regular, 3 for thicker backed wheels. These were made production style, operations broken down into setups that required fewer changes of settings etc. The TouchDRO got a good workout in the whole process. I also got a lot of practice single pointing the threads, internal and external.

Some were heat blackened, soaking at 450F for 25 minutes then dumped into oil. The last 3 special are not, I had already installed the 2 pins in each so heating them up would have undone that effort.

I ordered a 16mm 355E collet along with an ER16M collet chuck. This will let me do four facet grinds on drills and other items. This avoids having to buy a whole range of original collets. Similar to what Stan did for his setup.

The last bit is to mount it on a wooden platform and add some shielding to contain the dust. Also will be adding a clamp to hold the vacuum cleaner hose while truing wheels.

The switch box and switch  are appropriately made by M.E.M in UK :-)

Gerrit

Offline gerritv

• St Catharines, ON
Re: Alexander/Deckel Cutter Grinder
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2020, 12:25:27 AM »
Adding some more work I did on the grinder. It is one of the gems in my workshop now, finding more and more to use it for.

Examples here: Four facet grinding using the methods shown by Stefan Gotteswinter. To make smallish drills visibleI built a 20x right angle magnifier. It works well enough, but I will likely do a second revision to better clear the wheel shroud for smaller bits.

Offline gerritv

• St Catharines, ON
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2020, 12:32:02 AM »
To avoid buying a lot of collets I instead bought a 16mm E355 collet from Aliexpress along with a straight shank 16mm diamter ER16 collet chuck. The shank was shortened and the main part of the chuck turned down to get the chuck further back into the 16mm E355 collet. The end result is very little increased stick out, by backing off the main slide.

This lets me use my set of ER16 collets to hold drills etc for grinding.

The grinder came with a small set of imperial collets. I added 6, 8, 10 and 16mm ones from Aliexpress. These turned out to be very good quality, with minimal runout. I also drew up and printed a holder for the collets.

Offline animal

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2021, 03:16:08 AM »
Gerritv,  I know this isi a old thread . I ended up here from a Google search . What ca you tell me / us about that sweet pillar drill ?
thanks
animal

Offline gerritv

• St Catharines, ON
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2021, 04:32:34 PM »
I bought it at an auction. I was in the process of building one using cast iron pipe fittings when it became available online.

The UPT I have is built from a kit of castings, still available from Hemingway or Martin Model depending on which continent your are on.

I find it superb for tapping small diameter holes. and for drilling. Fully built the kit provides for engraving degrees on the edge of the rotating surface, allowing you to fairly accurately drill hole patterns as well.

Gerrit

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal