Author Topic: Tangler's Air Cooled Farm Boy  (Read 19223 times)

Offline RReid

• Northern California
Re: Tangler's Air Cooled Farm Boy
« Reply #105 on: May 06, 2021, 12:36:11 AM »
Very nice work Rod, looking good. You may be able to have a combined first Pop and second Jab party.  :DrinkPint:
Regards,
Ron

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #106 on: May 06, 2021, 07:15:08 AM »
Not long now Rod, will you test run before painting?

Offline tangler

• Christchurch, UK
« Reply #107 on: May 15, 2021, 03:17:28 PM »

Yes  :)

[youtube1]https://youtu.be/btT6ixnrIq4[/youtube1]

Well, that was quite a surprise  :o  That's the easiest first run I've ever had,  pretty much first pull on the flywheels.  I was actually feeling quite good about it - after grinding in the valves the compression felt good and bouncy but there did not seem to be any movement of the inlet valve.  I made a new and much weaker spring and got a good "parp" as I pulled the flywheels round.  The Hall sensor is positioned to give a spark on or slightly after TDC.  The cylinder is hand hot after 5 minutes so I think I'll do the fan thing as Jason suggested.

Thanks for looking in, I'll post some more pictures when it's painted and, perhaps, sitting on a trolley.

Rod

Offline RReid

• Northern California
« Reply #108 on: May 15, 2021, 03:37:47 PM »
Sweet! Gotta love the sound of a smooth running Hit-n-Miss in the morning. Congratulations!
Regards,
Ron

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #109 on: May 15, 2021, 03:52:15 PM »
Looking good and running well Rod, look forward to seeing it with the fan and a lick of paint and I'm sure you will do a nice job on a wooden sled or cart judging by your other woodworking exploits.

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #110 on: May 15, 2021, 04:22:44 PM »
Congratulation! Your engine is running first time, and very well!  You should be excited about that!  :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp:

Here's my non-IC guy question:  I hear this engine hitting 4-5 times in a row, then missing 4-5 times, then hitting again.   Is there a way you can vary the hysteresis in the governor?   I've heard some hit & miss engines that hit 1 or 2 times, then miss a bunch, then hit again 1 or 2 times.  What changes the number of hits vs misses?  (I mean, beyond the obvious speed of the flywheel.)

Thanks,
Kim

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #111 on: May 15, 2021, 06:24:04 PM »
Kim---you can change the ratio of hits to misses by changing the weight of the counterweights or the strength of the springs that hold the counterweights in place.

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #112 on: May 15, 2021, 06:36:26 PM »
The flywheels also have quite an effect with larger heavier ones storing more momentum so the engine can run longer between hits and combined with that the strength of the hit as a weak firing engine won't put as much energy into the flywheels as one that hits with a big bang. New engines can also be a bit tight in both the ring/piston fit as well as the bearings so you often find an engine will run longer between hits as it beds in.

The model engines seem to suffer the "double hit" more often than the full size sometimes it can be fuel draining back or the different air volume through the carb as the first hit is when the engine is running slow and the second when faster so it draws the air faster and opens the valve better

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #113 on: May 15, 2021, 10:14:24 PM »
Congratulation is in order here - very impressive first run and on your first IC too  :praise2:

Now time for a happy dance   :pinkelephant:

Per

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #114 on: May 15, 2021, 10:17:35 PM »
Rod,
Glad to tune in and see your farm boy running so well! :ThumbsUp:
Art
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #115 on: May 15, 2021, 11:20:13 PM »
Thanks Brian and Jason.  Appreciate your responses.

Great work on the engine Rod!  It's fun to watch a hit & miss that both hits and misses! :)

Kim

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #116 on: May 15, 2021, 11:31:40 PM »
Thats first run? Amazing!  :whoohoo:

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #117 on: May 15, 2021, 11:39:20 PM »
Awesome…..  :Love:

:cheers:
Don

Offline Pete49

• top of the gulf SA, Gateway to the Flinders Ranges
« Reply #118 on: May 16, 2021, 03:58:23 AM »
Excellent work Rod or as we say down here...beauty cobber....well some of us ....a few of us.... ok just me.
I used to have a friend.....but the rope broke and he ran away :(....Good news everybody I have another friend...I used chain this time :)

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #119 on: May 16, 2021, 06:48:31 AM »
Excellent  :praise2:  :praise2:  :wine1:

We will have to work out how to calibrate a 'parp' for successful suction inlet valve  :headscratch: That seems to be the cause of many peoples problems  :thinking:
Best regards

Roger

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal