Help! > Tooling Review

Proxxon FD150/E

(1/3) > >>

Roger B:
I had previously looked at the Proxxon FD150/E for it’s 5000 rpm and ER11 chuck. I initially decided against due to the problems fitting my floating reamer holder.

One of the local suppliers had a very good offer on so I decided to give it a try. It’s a very small, low cost, machine weighing 4.5kg. I didn’t expect Cowells/Sherline quality but was interested to see how good/bad it was.

It was delivered together with the ER11 chuck, tailstock drill chuck and set of 6mm HSS tools. The 3 jaw SC chuck and revolving centre are included with the lathe.

The initial impression was good. The 14mm shaft of the floating reamer holder fitted into the tailstock body with the quill removed, problem solved. The initial accuracy was not so good. I questioned this with the supplier and they confirmed that it was within their tolerances of 0.03mm runout for the ER11 chuck and 0.14mm runout for the 3 jaw chuck. The chuck register and collet cone were both better than 0.005mm.

I investigated further and found that the extractor ring on the collet nut was contacting the groove in the collet rather than the front cone. I skimmed 0.4 mm off which significantly improved the accuracy. Using the jaws from my Proxxon RT in the 3 jaw chuck improved the runout to 0.07mm.

There are various video clips of this on my YouTube if anyone is interested.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGp9EsVu04M

Jo:
My personal experience of Proxon stuff is that it is very good until the electrics fail  :( I hope they have done something about them.

I think that bottle of wine is looking very lonely and unloved and you really need to do something about it :wine1:

Jo

Admiral_dk:
Congratulations on the new toy tool and I love that you improved it so much with such a minor modification  :cheers:

derekwarner:
Roger...Proxxon according to their YouTube media advertising, pride themselves on their attention to quality & detail

From your description, it suggests a CNC setting problem over a CAD tolerancing issue......do you agree?

[You mention discussing this issue with the Supplier...do you actually mean the manufacturer?]

I would be inclined to send a tidy copy of your YouTube video with a  :happyreader: story  & marked to the Proxxon Quality Assurance Department

It can do you no harm, the worst that could happen is for Proxxon ignore you.......however considering the extent of Global YouTube media spread, I doubt that

Derek

sorveltaja:
I have drooled over that PD150 for some time. If it only had a cast iron bed and guide ways, it would definitely end to my shopping list.

What comes to Proxxon's electrics, I have a PF 230 mill, which started to blow a main fuse of the apartment, when it stalled. I took the circuit board out, but couldn't find any burned parts.

So I sent it to electrician. It worked for some time, but again the same situation. Sent it to electrician once more time, and it worked again for some time.

When the next fail happened, I simply pulled the circuit board out, and ditched it. I replaced it with a rectifier, that was in my electronics junk box. It was rated at 220/240V.

That was about 15 years ago, and since then, not a single problem about burned main fuses, even if the motor stalls.

However, I do NOT recommend that, unless the person knows, what he/she is doing, with the mains supply involved.

The PD 210 lathe I have, never had any problems like that. Anyways, It doesn't have any circuit boards in it neither...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version