Help! > Machines, Tools and Fixtures

Atlas 7B shaper restoration

(1/14) > >>

vdubjunkie:
Hello all.

It was suggested in my 6CI engine post that I post my shaper restoration here.  I was having trouble finding a sub in this forum where I thought it would fit, and felt like it would be white noise on other sites.  So, here we go.  Like many others, a while back, I started seeing some people using shapers, and became infatuated.  I finally found one at a price point that made sense, and the pictures will follow to help me tell the story.

b.lindsey:
Looking forward to following along.

Bill

crueby:
Was looking at the pictures of it on the other thread - is it a model of a shaper, or just a small one?

MJM460:
I am another glad that you are posting here and who will be following along.  Interested to learn more about shapers, but also interested in following the restoration techniques as I am sure many would be applicable to all sorts of machine restoration or even normal maintenance.

MJM460

vdubjunkie:
Let me just start by saying you guys are all so awesome.  Also, I consider myself to be a very enthusiastic novice.  I learn from others, and then try it out.  The machine is not a model.  It is a "full size" Atlas 7B.  That being said, these are considered small shapers, and that is why they have become so popular.  A guy can fit this in his garage, and also have other tools.  The 7 refers to the length of travel of the ram.  More typical shapers would be maybe 16", and MUCH heavier.

Also, please feel free to let me know if you'd prefer to have more or less explanation, pictures, etc.  I'm putting this together the way it occurs to me, but my primary objective is putting something out there that others find useful and/or interesting.

With that, here goes.  On 10/11/18, I stopped by my local Fastenal to pick up this shaper I purchased from the East Coast. 

Doesn't it look cozy in the back of my little Subaru?!  It's a bit rusty, and as I found out, it was rusted immobile!

I removed the inspection plate to have a look inside, and see if I could get any motion out of the ram.  No such luck.  At this point I am buzzing with anticipation, and I can barely contain myself.  I just have to do SOMETHING to this machine right away!

Just look at all that beautiful filth.  Later I would decide there was a second paint job applied to the machine over the top of the original.  Here you can see the original color seemed to be a standard machine gray.

At this point, it is still my intention to just get this machine "cleaned up" and ready for operation which won't degrade bearings, etc.  Later, my ambitions would change drastically.

At this point, I've removed the tool post, clapper and swivel assembly, knee, feed and ratchet cover.  Those were relatively quick and easy.

Here you can see that the motor, and bracket has already been removed.  I decided to focus on getting the ram loose, and I would learn that this was much more involved than initially suspected.

In order to separate the ram, I learned that the ram block, lever, and link had to remain connected initially.  Here is that whole assembly removed.

Certainly many others will not be impressed, but I was happy when it didn't take me long to come up with this solution to not having any tool around intended for this part.  Naturally, it was important that the size of the hex keys was a fairly tight fit.  However, this part, and it's cousin on the other side both turned relatively easily, so that also made me very happy!

Here I'm using my longest bent flat blade screwdriver to persuade something internal.  This shot gives a decent idea of just how cramped is my workspace.

Here is that cousin part.  Due to the shaft sticking out, I had to make an adjustment.  If memory serves, I just used a wide blade screwdriver or something to get the twisting effect needed.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version