Author Topic: Amateurish Engine  (Read 2114 times)

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
Re: Amateurish Engine
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2023, 08:34:05 PM »
Before I continue the build some new information has surfaced which puts the original article at a some what earlier date of 1881 (Thanks Pat)

The last few parts comprise the head and valve assembly.

As mentioned at the start the article calls for a cast head with passages cast in though the detail was not really clear enough to see exactly what was intended and the overall shape was quite boxy. I drew up something a bit more appealing to my eye and used the CNC to translate that image into cast iron. Without removing the partially machined head from the 5C block I transferred to the manual mill to drill and ream for the sleeve and drill & tap the inlet exhaust pipe connections.

Some more doodling with Alibre came up with a valve design that I thought would work, here is a section through the head. There is an inserted sleeve that has what would be the port faces on a slide valve engine milled into it, drilled passages down into the cylinder. There is then a stainless steel spindle with a flat milled onto it that will open and close the ports and connect the open one to the cylinder as it is rocked by the eccentric rod.

This is the sleeve with the larger exhaust slot on the left

Once the sleeve had been Loctited into the head the two holes were drilled

This pic shows the valve spindle having had it's flat milled a 1mm hole was drilled through it's spigot and the actuation arm so they could be pinned together

From an early stage I had decided to leave this engine in bare metal which I did with the exception of the "cast" surface of the flywheel which was done in a Rustoleum cast iron effect paint. I did think of bead blasting it but it would have been prone to rust so went with the paint. A piece of mahogany that I took out of a clients 110yr old house provided the base.

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2023, 08:41:44 PM »
Well that's another one crossed off the list of "future projects" but the list still seems to be getting longer :-[

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bM0uk01DL-k" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bM0uk01DL-k</a>

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2023, 09:46:22 PM »
Great engine!  Really like all the little details on the parts.

And its a sign that you are hooked when the list keeps getting longer...   :ThumbsUp:

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2023, 10:12:12 PM »
Another fine runner from you Jason  :ThumbsUp:   :ThumbsUp:

Love the extra details - my mind would never come up with those (lack of imagination I guess) - but it fits the Period  :cheers:

Per

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2023, 10:31:03 PM »
That's a pretty cute little runner, Jason!
I don't know where you come up with all these.   You've certainly done a very nice job on it!

Kim

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2023, 11:25:19 PM »
Nicely done Jason!
I do like all the colors and textures of the natural metals.

Dave

Offline RReid

• Northern California
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2023, 12:13:00 AM »
Very nice, and a great runner. The overall simplicity of the engine seems to make the details and the fine workmanship really stand out. :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp:
Regards,
Ron

Offline Michael S.

• Germany, Saxony-Anhalt, Magdeburg
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2023, 12:37:45 PM »
And again an old historical model steam engine perfectly remade.
It looks good in its natural coloring.

Michael

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal