Author Topic: Cheapo sandblaster upgrade  (Read 4706 times)

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
Cheapo sandblaster upgrade
« on: March 09, 2019, 04:49:02 PM »
Along with my new compressor came a cheapo sandblaster  :mischief:

I have been told that the main problem with these is that after about 10 seconds you are trying to blast through a sand storm so cannot see anything   :Doh: This could be solved by putting a vacuum cleaner the other side of the filter but that seemed like hassle so I opted to add an old test equipment fan that I had laying around. This provides the necessary howling gale out of the side of the cabinet  :ThumbsUp:

The next job is decide how to run the electric string  :thinking:

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
Re: Cheapo sandblaster upgrade
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2019, 06:51:22 PM »
Jo, that may help but the other issue I have had with similar units in the past if the filter clogging up which can render that fan or even a vacuum much less effective. Hope you have better luck.

Bill

Offline gerritv

• St Catharines, ON
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2019, 09:23:35 PM »
I have a similar  unit and will be putting a cyclone dust collector in between the cabinet and the vacuum. Media drops into a bucket, so I can reuse, and the vacuum cleaner filter stays relatively clean. Already have one set up for my table saw in the garage.

Gerrit
Don't confuse activity with progress

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2019, 09:28:11 PM »
Gerrit, in doing that do you remove the filter inside the cabinet?

Bill

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2019, 09:32:38 PM »
I have a similar  unit and will be putting a cyclone dust collector in between the cabinet and the vacuum. Media drops into a bucket, so I can reuse, and the vacuum cleaner filter stays relatively clean. Already have one set up for my table saw in the garage.

Gerrit

Bill
I have the same thing (Dust Deputy units) on my wood shop and metal shop vacs, the cyclone captures an amazing range of size material, from fine dust to big chops. A little bit of the fine material will occasionally make it into the vac, also once in a while it will suck up a bit of paper towel that will go through into the vac, so I would leave the filter (a clean one) in place. The only time I've gotten a lot into the vac is when I didnt notice the bucket was full, and everything after that went to the vac.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2019, 09:37:14 PM »
The issue I had with clogged filter inside the cabinet was that when blasting, it would tend to inflate the cabinet a bit and dust/ media would get out through the seals.

Bill

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2019, 09:39:18 PM »
Sorry bill, on my reply I was thinking of the filter in the shop vac, forgot about the one in the sandblasting cabinet!    :Doh:

Online Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2019, 10:15:56 PM »
If you put a vacuum on the cabinet it is also a good idea to have a place for the air to enter, so you have a constant flow through the cabinet. This is the way the industrial units operate.
My little home built unit has vents above the lights where the air can enter. There is no filter inside the cabinet.

I picked up the nicely made stainless steel cyclone separator form a friend who was scrapping out some hi-tech manufacturing equipment.
I need to make and install a baffle plate over the exhaust intake because the way it is now some of the media gets pulled out of the cabinet.
Not a big deal, I just pour it back into the cabinet form the cyclone.

Dave

Offline gerritv

• St Catharines, ON
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2019, 10:18:24 PM »

Bill
My cabinet didn't come with a filter. The filter in the vacuum cleaner stays clean for a long time. As noted, the majority ends up in the cyclone bucket.
LeeValley now has a nifty type that replaces the lid on a 5 gallon paint bucket. Less money as well. I think one of those will go on my tool grinder soon with a BucketHead to provide the suction.
Don't confuse activity with progress

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2019, 07:56:46 AM »
Thanks Guys this is a new toy for me so all suggestions welcome. I did consider making a cyclone but they increase the size of the unit. This is important as I will be using the blaster in the garden not in the workshop  :hellno: so there is a need for the entire unit to be compact as well as portable. The back of the cabinet already has a vent for the air inlet  :ThumbsUp:

Electrics wise the LED lamp is a 12v unit same as the fan so I may try just hooking it up on a old 12V car battery to avoid running mains cables. I will have to run the air line out to it but that is sorted as I have brought myself :naughty: up a auto retract air hose for the new compressor   

My current plan is the unit will be used sat on my workmate with the blasting media housed in a bucket under the cabinet with the gun suction hose poked through the hole in the bottom of the cabinet into it.  :noidea:

Jo

Offline Bluechip

• Derbyshire
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2019, 09:32:36 AM »
Hi Jo

Found a piccy.

This is the one I had all those years ago ...  :old:  Don't remember mine having the 'go-faster' stripes on it. Just blue .  :thinking:

http://www.simmomach.co.uk/used_machine_tools/miscellaneous.php?pid=1149

Dave

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2019, 10:14:04 AM »
 :thinking: I don't think even I could lift that in and out of the garage if I wanted to use it Dave.

Electrics done on the cabinet so time to hook up the compressor lines in the main garage.. all except the last bit as I am still waiting for the tail  :-\

Jo

Offline Bluechip

• Derbyshire
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2019, 10:49:11 AM »

:thinking: I don't think even I could lift that in and out of the garage if I wanted to use it Dave.

Jo

Didn't have to.  :ThumbsUp:  No dust came out of it ... ( providing it was used in accordance etc. etc.    ::)  ).

P.S. Do you have the neoprene gauntlets to go with the set-up or were you contemplating going down to the bone on your fingers ???    :thinking:

Dave  ........  Sun's shining now    :)  Snow's just about gone. Might just venture outside.  :noidea:
« Last Edit: March 10, 2019, 10:53:18 AM by Bluechip »

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2019, 11:06:38 AM »
These cabinets come with the rubber gloves. You couldn't make and fit out a blasting cabinet for the price of these units.

Jo

Online Vixen

• Hampshire UK
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2019, 11:26:06 AM »
These cabinets come with the rubber gloves. You couldn't make and fit out a blasting cabinet for the price of these units.

Jo

I bought my blasting cabinet from a motorcycle importer. He usually imports a shipping container full of motorcycles at a time. They only occupy the floor level so he fills the space above with big boxes of light stuff, usually sand blast cabinets and engine parts washing  bowls.

Mike
It is the journey that matters, not the destination

Sometimes, it can be a long and winding road

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal