Author Topic: S. Charlesworth slide valve mill engine  (Read 15747 times)

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
Re: S. Charlesworth slide valve mill engine
« Reply #60 on: April 25, 2020, 12:03:46 PM »
Cheers John,       Temporary assembled pics as promised.      Terry

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #61 on: April 25, 2020, 08:43:24 PM »
Eccentric finished

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #62 on: May 02, 2020, 09:31:49 PM »
Got sidetracked again, this time adding a disc sander to my collection of budget home made equipment  :)  Works well.   Started to make studs for various engine fixings, a pain with no collets. I shall use a bit of tapped bar to hold them when I thread t'other end.    Did a quick mill of the fabricated cylinder feet to ensure flat, etc.   Last job today was to make a start on the eccentric rod clevis end.  On the prototype this end has a bronze insert which will be a bit tricky. (see earlier post) at that time I said I would not copy it on the model. However I am tempted to try.     Best Wishes        Terry

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #63 on: May 07, 2020, 09:00:20 PM »
I cannot put it off any longer......the time has come to progress the power take off pulley. I have already made all the bits (see earlier posts)  I have put an old faceplate on the Atlas and machined a shallow groove such that the pulley rim "wrings" into it and stays put. Next I turned a stepped boss / mandrel to hold the hub concentrically. A couple of securing screws as a precaution and a set up check. Next move will be a thorough clean and transfer to my brazing hearth. I am hoping that the fixture does not take too much heat away and have drilled out the centre to help. If my torch is not up to the job it will have to be post-lockdown when I can get to work :-\   What do you think?      Terry

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #64 on: May 07, 2020, 09:34:21 PM »
Would it be worth putting a little Nicrobraze or Whiteout on the surfaces that you don't want any solder to flow to/into, just in case it decides to wick over to the nuts/bolts or other joints? Would be quite tough to get it apart again if it did.

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #65 on: May 08, 2020, 07:31:23 AM »
It will be interesting to see how things go as that ring heats up and expands.

Heat will depend on what torch you have as to how much heat you can put into it, I'd probably have set it up on spacers, easy enough to bolt a few blocks to the faceplate and then groove them or just clock it true using clamps alone.

Is the hub bored to finish size? always easier to lightly finish bore after soldering to true up any issues.

Offline Zephyrin

• near Paris, France
« Reply #66 on: May 08, 2020, 08:57:23 AM »
if the whole thing stands on its own mechanically, why not just a soft soldering? This assembly could withstand future use of this pulley.

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #67 on: May 08, 2020, 09:41:22 AM »
Thanks Folk,

Chris.     Hadn't thought of that!   I will do something.

Jason.    May try spacers.  My limited equipment makes clocking it tricky.    Bore is a midges undersize.

Zephrin.         Soft soldering not considered until now :thinking:   My small torch may decide that's the way to go.

Regards        Terry

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #68 on: May 15, 2020, 12:34:42 PM »
Having bought viton o-rings, I decided to fit a CI one. However I made it slightly too narrow :cussing: Thinking that there were enough bits made I loosely assembled the engine (with narrow ring) and put an air supply to it...it ran right away :cartwheel:  It was good to confirm the basic internal design was ok, especially as it was based on my limited knowledge of full size valve events and no drawings!! Next job is too dismantle, remake bits that I'm not happy with and paint both engine and base.  I ran it a second time with a camera in my left hand, air gun in my right. The result is a short video that I hope I can upload :atcomputer: :headscratch:   The knock from the narrow ring is quite audible.    Terry.[youtube1]https://youtu.be/UXy6wmTgNoQhttps://youtu.be/UXy6wmTgNoQhttps://youtu.be/UXy6wmTgNoQhttps://youtu.be/UXy6wmTgNoQ[/youtube1]

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #69 on: May 15, 2020, 02:17:40 PM »
It's alliiiivvve!!

Offline Johnmcc69

• Erie Pa., USA
« Reply #70 on: May 15, 2020, 02:23:29 PM »
 :ThumbsUp:
 Excellent! It does run smoothly!

John

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #71 on: May 15, 2020, 04:31:29 PM »
That first run is always satisfying especially when it's one you have designed yourself :)

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #72 on: May 20, 2020, 09:09:12 PM »
 :Mad: :cussing: :Mad: :cussing: Had a disaster trying to silver solder the pulley shown in reply 63. Thinking I had too little heat I did not use the heavy jig that it is shown mounted on. Instead I just set it up in my firebrick box. Half way round things were going well, but of course it moved and ended up a right mess. I have managed to rescue some of it but have decided to try a different design. The hub and spoke ends will be threaded, then It can be screwed together and just the rim ends soldered.            Terry

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #73 on: May 20, 2020, 10:21:52 PM »
Congratulations on the runner, Terry!   :ThumbsUp:

Bummer about the soldering disaster :(

Kim

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #74 on: May 21, 2020, 07:33:29 AM »
terry, do bear in mind that the rim will expand at silver soldering temperatures and when cooled may try to compress the spokes.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal