Author Topic: S. Charlesworth slide valve mill engine  (Read 15718 times)

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
Re: S. Charlesworth slide valve mill engine
« Reply #45 on: April 08, 2020, 09:32:31 PM »
Shop time at last.....I have milled the port block, the valve chest and some of their fittings. The exhaust "pipe" was to be made from solid but my only die to match the thread already cut in the port block has been hidden/stolen by the elves :Mad: too lazy to set up and thread cut I have modified a standard fitting that was suitable as a temporary measure. The lot will be screwed together.  Next I have to make the valve  assembly.   
Once again I apologise for my bad photography :shrug:    The last shot is a "family" one of the cylinder components.      Regards    Terry                 

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #46 on: April 08, 2020, 11:22:11 PM »
Nice group of parts!    :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #47 on: April 11, 2020, 09:12:58 PM »
More progress.  The external measurements are simple enough but I am unable to dismantle bits to see inside.  As a result some guesswork is involved :thinking:  The port dimensions are from Mr Harris's fine book, all else is "fiction" :lolb:  An added complication is my lack of any collets so holding small diameters is awkward. The result is that most parts need "fitting." I have to admit this is a process I enjoy....setting the sweet spot is extremely satisfying.  This was today's result......The valve from a bit of bronze, mild steel buckle and valve rod. I now need to study my photos for rod end detail which will be screwed/ silver soldered on.                Terry

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #48 on: April 18, 2020, 09:23:59 PM »
The task today was to finish the piston rod.  Never mind CAD modelling, a wood "piston" pushed onto the rod confirms rod length ,piston length and end clearance so the rod can have it's end finished. Also sorted fit to crosshead and taper pin fitted.   Started on the eccentric.  note improvised height gauge :facepalm2:      Terry

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh, NC. USA
« Reply #49 on: April 18, 2020, 11:28:03 PM »
.  note improvised height gauge :facepalm2:      Terry

If it works.... it works!

Following along Terry.  :popcorn: :popcorn:
Craig
The destination motivates us toward excellence, the journey entertains us, and along the way we meet so many interesting people.

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #50 on: April 19, 2020, 10:39:23 AM »
Cheers Craig.....it WILL work :)     Next bit is the piston. It will be cast iron, originally thought of a 3 piece piston with 2 rings. Overkill? next thought was a 2 piece with 1 ring. At present I lack a boiler so this engine may never run on steam :'(     so what about o rings and if so what sort....silicon, viton, etc?  I need help here please.          Terry

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #51 on: April 21, 2020, 02:07:23 PM »
As no  o-ring information is apparent I have decided to go for 1 cast iron ring, after all it may run on steam one day.    Another problem I have to sort is the eccentric sheave.  It can be seen in the photo that is an awkward shape. It could do with a casting or(shhh) cnc!    The bit that travels
in the eccentric is 0.170 wide and 1.070 dia. I have some brass that thick to which I could solder lumps each side :help:  and I have some CI from which to hack it.  If anyone reads this and can offer advice I would appreciate it :shrug:       Regards            Terry

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #52 on: April 21, 2020, 04:51:21 PM »
Missed the request for O ring info, what's the finished bore dia.

Brass would give you the option to make it in two halves from flat bar, the oil box and two webs could be milled with the aid of a rotary table after plunge drilling a hole with an end mill to take a turned boss which could be silver soldered into place.

Same could be done with CI machined from a slice of round stock and the boss JBWelded in as there is no real load on it. Could even solder/stick the oil box on if you wanted.

Cast iron ones detailed in this post http://www.modelenginemaker.com/index.php/topic,705.msg8799.html#msg8799

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #53 on: April 21, 2020, 05:35:47 PM »
Thank you Jason,  that's started the old brain working :thinking:    Cylinder bore by the way is 3thou under an inch.         Terry

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #54 on: April 21, 2020, 06:17:30 PM »
I would go with a BS117 Viton ring, cut the grove to 0.125" wide with a base diameter of 0.801"

This is the sort of sequence I was thinking of for the eccentric, did not show hollowing out the oil box or maybe threading it if using a drip feed which does not look right in the photo. You will need a small amount of hand filing where the radius of the cutter stops it getting into all the corners.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHob_b-qSvM" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHob_b-qSvM</a>

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #55 on: April 21, 2020, 07:36:27 PM »
That's great! I can progress a bit further. Thank so much for your input and the time involved in your reply :ThumbsUp:   Don't expect to see instant results.  I take my time :old:            Terry :cheers:

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #56 on: April 21, 2020, 08:26:15 PM »
a bit of background to the prototype...............Sheard Charlesworth and Joseph Hall had a business making electrical equipment and steam engines. Possibly early generating plant. They operated from the Richmond Hill Ironworks in Oldham, UK .  (the site is now occupied by a college)  Their partnership was dissolved in 1894. My engine has no makers plate or number, just S Charlesworth cast into the bed. There being no mention of Hall I wonder if it is post 1894? But as it is such a simple, basic engine I reckon it's earlier.  I have it on heresay that it powered a dye works somewhere in Lancashire. Maybe one day I will be able to do some research and find out :shrug:            Regards              Terry

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #57 on: April 21, 2020, 08:52:51 PM »
There is another S Charlesworth,   Sydney this time . 1894 saw the start of Mann and Charlesworth  based in Leeds. they went on to develop the Mann wagon that Chris is working on. Charlesworth left in 1898. They developed the single eccentric reversing gear. I do not think this S is the one for my engine as prior to this he worked for Garrett traction engines.   I digress again :embarassed:  get back to making swarf.    Terry

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #58 on: April 24, 2020, 09:15:28 PM »
Swarf making after digression :)  I finished the piston to final size today, had to use some super glue to stop it revolving on the piston rod. I couldn't resist a temporary assembly to see if it will all work. I suspect I need to take about 3 thou of the base of the slide bars as it begins to bind slightly if I press the cylinder hard down onto the base.
Next job was the eccentric sheave. When I first looked at it a few days ago my mind went blank :headscratch: an appeal on here brought an instant solution from Jason and a "of course, why didn't I think of that response from me :Doh:  Good progress was made and another chance to use my new! soldering hearth.  One day I might get a better camera, then you can see my cockups in finer detail.           Terry :cheers:

ps  just discovered the camera has self changed it's settings again......too many pixels on some pics!!!! will retake tomorrow

Offline Johnmcc69

• Erie Pa., USA
« Reply #59 on: April 24, 2020, 09:39:16 PM »
 :ThumbsUp:
 It's coming along nicely!
-I always find the digressions quite interesting..

John

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal