Author Topic: S. Charlesworth slide valve mill engine  (Read 15751 times)

Online scc

• Lancashire, UK
Re: S. Charlesworth slide valve mill engine
« Reply #30 on: December 20, 2019, 09:30:29 PM »
I am enjoying my unexpected free time to progress my engine :)   The back cover tonight. Note the tool changes to get the shape...just got away with it. The 3jaw on the little Clarke is surprisingly accurate so did the cover spigots on that.   I think the mounting feet will be next..or maybe the cover studs :thinking:    I always used to be concerned about parting off. My Atlas has a rear toolpost and with a Chronos tool I now part off  using power feed usually trouble free :ThumbsUp:                Terry

Offline Ye-Ole Steam Dude

• Deep East Texas on Sam Rayburn Lake
« Reply #31 on: December 20, 2019, 09:35:42 PM »
Hello SCC,

This is some mighty nice machine work and the project is looking good.

Happy holidays to you,
Thomas
Thomas

Offline Johnmcc69

• Erie Pa., USA
« Reply #32 on: December 21, 2019, 12:24:53 AM »
 :ThumbsUp:
Looking great Terry! Glad you're getting things worked out.
 Parting is a little scary isn't it? But once you get a nice curl coming off, it's pretty slick.

John

Online scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #33 on: December 21, 2019, 10:36:09 AM »
Thank you Thomas  and John :cheers:   Best Wishes for Christmas.............and to everyone else of course!         Terry

Online scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #34 on: January 02, 2020, 10:20:24 PM »
A bit more time so I decided to make the studs for the cylinder covers. Luckily I looked at pics  of the prototype :happyreader: it uses square headed bolts.....made that way or repair for stripped threads?   I decided to make some...machined some round bar to size and threaded 6ba leaving an oversize head. Having no collets I ended up holding my bolts in a small drill vice and JUST cleared the mill head to mill the square.
Next up the slidebars were checked for parallel on the mill and at the same time machined the "run-out " pockets/ oil reservoirs.
Made the cylinder base next. A jig to position the cylinder at the correct height then a quick welded fabrication. Drilled and tapped the cylinder 6ba to fix. There is much work to do on the base yet.         Best Wishes to All.              Terry

Online scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2020, 10:01:32 PM »
A bit further into the journey!  I finished the cylinder covers today. Did the pcd on the rotary table then cocked it up by drilling the gland holes out of sync :cussing:    had to plug them and redrill /tap. All turned out well in the end. With all the cover fixings done I can move on to the valve block  and position the passages accordingly. My square head bolts seem ok too.       Terry

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2020, 11:22:00 AM »
Looking good.

I hadn't seen a part (don't know what it's called) with 3 bolts. I've seen 5,6, or more. Is there a reason?
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline gbritnell

« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2020, 11:56:24 AM »
Very nice work!
gbritnell
Talent unshared is talent wasted.

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #38 on: January 28, 2020, 12:01:06 PM »
I hadn't seen a part (don't know what it's called) with 3 bolts. I've seen 5,6, or more. Is there a reason?

I assume you are referring to the packing gland Zee. Oval packing glands normally use 2 STUDS and nuts, round packing glands 3 STUDS and nuts, to keep the packing in place to provide the seal on the piston/valve rod through their centre. I am sure Terry is only using the bolts as a temporary measure  ::)

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #39 on: January 28, 2020, 12:04:41 PM »
Thanks!
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Online scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #40 on: January 29, 2020, 09:31:01 PM »
Round 3 stud packing gland as per prototype, Blank on the back cover.   The bolts are just there for the "family" shot.   I had made a start on the cylinder in bronze, but decided to follow prototype and do it in cast iron.   I know most of your well equipped shops will have bandsaws, etc but my basic home built hacksaw saved me a lot of sweat when chopping a lump of cast iron for the valve block :)
Thanks for the interest folks :ThumbsUp:   I was thinking no one was looking.        Terry

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #41 on: January 29, 2020, 09:47:09 PM »
Wow - that hacksaw rig sure saved you a LOT of greasy elbows!

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #42 on: January 30, 2020, 05:53:12 AM »
Wow!  That does look like a good-sized hunk of CI.  How long did it take your power hacksaw to hack its way through?
Kim

Online scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #43 on: January 30, 2020, 05:11:35 PM »
I didn't time it Kim,  I just switch it on and do something else ::)   I guess 5 to 10 minutes.      Terry

Online scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #44 on: April 06, 2020, 09:30:35 PM »
Following recent events  we are returning to "normal".      I've been working on the port block and the valve chest , photos in the next couple of days. In these lockdown days I consider myself lucky to be able  to wander up the garden to the shed :)       Terry

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal