Author Topic: Webster I/C Engine - Mike's 5th Engine  (Read 11309 times)

Offline mikehinz

Re: Webster I/C Engine - Mike's 5th Engine
« Reply #45 on: May 05, 2021, 01:16:03 AM »
I really appreciate everyone following along on this build!  Feedback is especially welcome!   This is my first I/C engine so success for sure isnt' guaranteed, but I'm hopeful!

Again, thanks for watching!

Mike
MIke
Wichita, KS, USA

Offline mikehinz

« Reply #46 on: May 05, 2021, 01:33:47 AM »
I made some more progress and got the valve blocks finished, not the valve guides yet, just the blocks.  Here's the pix of the process I went through. 

I started with some AL bar I had .25" x .75" so the first thing I did was cut 3 rough blanks out of the bar and then setup a stop on the mill vise to help speed up the process of getting the blocks to dimension.  Each was brought to .25" x .625" x 1.0.

Each block is a bit different so here I'm putting the countersinks in the top block for the 2-56 screws that hold block assembly together.  I set the stop of the quill and slowly increased the depth using the stop until the screw fit properly.  Then it was a fast and easy matter to move using the DRO to each other location and quickly print the quill down to the stop.  I find if I don't do it this way, I manage to make a bunch of different depths for the countersink which looks ugly!

The intake an exhaust valve blocks call for a .375 counterbore .031 deep.  I used a 3/8" end mill and raised the table until I touched the surface and then raised it by .031".  This worked quite well as the counterbore was nice and clean.

The bottom block needed qty 4 holes tapped 2-56.  Here I'm tapping in my usual matter when using small tap.  That's a spring loaded follower and a very small tap wrench. I find this method is reliable and I've not broken a tap in quite some time.  I'm also careful to use Tap Magic on each hole and back out often and clean the hole, unless I'm using a spiral point or spiral flute tap. 

Then the finished valve block laid on the print so that their various features are visible.

And lastly, the assembled block loosely attached to the cylinder head/frame. 

Overall, this went pretty well for me.   Setting up a stop in the vise was very helpful as I could quickly position each block for drilling or whatever the next operation was.  I also put a small punch mark on the 'upper left' of each block so that I used the same edge on each block for reference.  This seemed to work as the blocks all assembled with the holes aligned and the sides even!  I'd hate to ascribe that to skill, but at least I got lucky!

I'm still working away so hopefully in the next day or 2 I'll have some more pix to post.

Enjoy!

Mike
MIke
Wichita, KS, USA

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #47 on: May 05, 2021, 01:42:09 AM »
Having built the Webster myself, I'll give you a little tip. Use some oiled paper bag material for gaskets between those three pieces. If you don't it will suck air thru those joints and be a miserable thing to start and run.---Brian

Offline mikehinz

« Reply #48 on: May 05, 2021, 01:51:11 AM »
Having built the Webster myself, I'll give you a little tip. Use some oiled paper bag material for gaskets between those three pieces. If you don't it will suck air thru those joints and be a miserable thing to start and run.---Brian

Brian, duly noted!  I was planning on gaskets anyway and your opinion as an expert certainly nudges me harder to do so.  In fact, I have a new addition, that of  one of those small hobby cutting machines.  I got it with the intend of using it to make gaskets and it looks like it will work.  If I can get it all worked out, I'll document that in a separate post.

Again, thanks for the info and advice!

Mike
MIke
Wichita, KS, USA

Offline mikehinz

« Reply #49 on: May 25, 2021, 12:43:32 AM »
I decided to make the gaskets for the Webster.  In the past i've just cut out the gaskets by hand using straightedges, punches, utility knives, etc.  But I've never quite been satisfied how they turned out.  So I went out an purchased a Silhouette Portrait 3 hobby cutter and did a bit of experimenting.  I'll do a very quick overview here and show the results, but if anyone is interested, I can post a separate thread that goes into more detail about why I selected this machine and the process needed to actually make gaskets.  So here's the short story.

First, modeled the gaskets in CAD and make a quick drawing to verify dimensions. 

There are then 2 ways to get the necessary vector images into the Silhouette Studio software, which is both a lightweight vector design program and the driver program for the cutter.  You can make dxf files of the sketches used to design the gaskets or you can make a PDF of the gaskets and in either case import the file directly into the Silhouette Studio software.  I won't bother with details of the processes in this post as this is supposed to be brief.  But in the end you'll end up with properly scaled vector images that the machine can cut.

This is the actual machine and whatever material you'll be cutting is placed onto the cutting mat which is a thick plastic sheet with a tacky surface. 

Since I was figuring out what I could cut, I repeatedly cut the required gaskets from different materials.  Shown are successful cuts from 1/64" and 1/32" FelPro Karropak fiber/paper gasket material and .005" and .010" teflon sheet.  I tried to cut some .030" teflon sheet that I had but with the cutter assembly I had in the machine it wouldn't cut it all the way through. 

The gaskets came out better than I had expected.  They're completely accurate dimensionally in all respects and the cuts are smooth ane uniform even on the small holes that the various fasteners pass through. 

I need to do some more experimentation with different cutting heads and but this is good enough for me at this point! 

So, if anyone is interested I can post more about this machine, software, and the process I used.  Just let me know.

Enjoy!

Mike
MIke
Wichita, KS, USA

Offline gbritnell

« Reply #50 on: May 25, 2021, 03:55:44 PM »
Yes please do.
Talent unshared is talent wasted.

Offline tvoght

• Indiana
« Reply #51 on: May 25, 2021, 04:04:21 PM »
I'm interested in the cutter too.   --Tim

Offline mikehinz

« Reply #52 on: May 25, 2021, 04:42:58 PM »
Ok, since there's some interest, I'll make a more extensive post in 'Tooling & Machines' later today or tomorrow as that seems like the most appropriate forum section.  I need to capture a few screenshots to better illustrate the process so that will take just a bit of time.

Thanks for everyone's interest!

Mike
MIke
Wichita, KS, USA

Offline mikehinz

« Reply #53 on: May 27, 2021, 09:31:47 PM »
So, this post is going to start a rather long series regarding valve guides/seats and valves.  Currently there's a sad ending but hopefully I'll get to a happy ending sooner or later. 

Since this is all a bit of a learning experience for me, I decided to make the valves by 2 methods, just to see which one worked best for me.  So to start, I decided to try the 'silver braze the valve head to stem' method.  So I cut 2 pieces of 3/32" drill rod to 1.00" length and drilled the retainer hole in the end using a collet block in the mill vise.  The hole was only .040" (#60 drill) so I put a penny coin next to is just so the hole was visible.

Both completed 3/32" valve stems laid on the print.

For the one piece valves, since I'll be turning down the stem, I made a gage out of brass.  I just drilled and then reamed a 3/32" hole thru a 3/8" x 3/8" long bit of brass stock. 

Next on to the valve guides/seats.  This is just a view of turning the taper on the end of the valve guide using the compound.  Nothing terribly exciting here.  I made these out of ordinary 360 brass based on the advise from Brian Rupnow and others.  This seemed completely sensible to me. 

Here's one partially finished.  The OD is completed, but the ID has to be completed.

Starting on the ID features.  First, I drilled thru and then reamed with a 3/32" reamer. 

Then drilling the larger ID to the called-out depth on the print.

I didn't take a pix of critical operation which may turn out to be good or bad.  But at this point, without removing the guide from the collet, I took a 90 degree countersink and lightly touched the lip of the guide to form the valve seat.  It certainly didn't chatter and it LOOKED good upon casual inspection. 

The top view of the finished valve guides.

The bottom view of the finished valve guides.  If you look carefully, you can see the very narrow 45 degree seat formed by the countersink tool.  Comments if this approach is good or bad are welcome!

The valve guides/seats assembled into the valve blocks.  They were a very easy press fit and I applied Loctite 603 when assembly.

The back to the mill.  After carefully locating both holes, I drill thru the brass valve guides/seats with the called out drill.  The operation went perfectly fine.

The completed valve blocks after the guides were Loctited in place and drilled thru.

I, non-so-cleverly, managed not to take any pix of making the valve heads for the 2 piece valves, but here's a pix of the 2 valve bits assembled, but not yet brazed together.  This was pretty straightforward as I turned the tapers after setting over the compound at 45 degrees using an angle block to assure some sort of precision.  The hole thru the center of the valve heads was reamed to 3/32"

Using the gage to make sure the valve stem is uniform along its length.  I used some fine emery cloth to work the stem at any tight places until the gage slide smoothly along the length.  I think that this worked pretty well as the fit is very close but the gage still moved freely.

Here's the lathe setup for turning the valve faces at 45 degrees.  I had some difficulty understanding how I'd set this up, but after a bit of thinking and playing, it became clear.  One thing I learned is that if you leave the tool holder set in the normal position, that is perpendicular to the lathe axis, you can cut the stem to diameter using the carriage and then cut the valve face by using the compound without screwing around resetting the tool.  The compound advanced the tool from the stem diameter to the outer face diameter using this setup.  This certainly saves some time and aggravation and I think make the end result a bit better.

Closeup of the valve face being cut.

Moving back to the 2 piece valves.  I cleaned the valve stem and head with acetone and then applied flux to both pieces.  I cut a small piece of silver braze material and laid it on the top of the valve head.  I applied heat with my Victor torch using a 000 tip.  The brazing goes fast with this setup but worked fine.

Both 2 piece valves after brazing.

And after cleanup in the lathe.  You can see the uniform silver braze material at the interface between the valve head and the stem.

So, it looks promising, right???  We'll I decided to do at least a basic check to see how true the valve seats were with the stem.  So I chucked up the valves, both the 2 piece and 1 piece valves and put a DTI on the valve face as shown in the pix.

In the end, there was great sadness over the 2 piece valves.  One of them ran out about .0025 and the other one about .0055.  I ended up making 3 one piece valves and on the 2 best ones, one of them had imperceptible runout and the other one had just a few tenths runout.  So I decided to use the one piece valves going forward for this engine.

In retrospect, I realized that I made a fundamental error when making the 2 piece valves.  I should have just cut a disk of .250" material and drilled and reamed a hole thru it and then silver brazed that to the stem.  Then after the brazing operation, I should have then cleaned up the top of the valve, AND I should have cut the valve seat at 45 degrees at that time.  Apparently, even though I had drill rod and a reamed hole, there's enough clearance between the 2 pieces so almost guaranteed that they'll be crooked.  And of course by turning the seat area prior to the brazing operation, I didn't have enough material left to true it up.  So those 2 piece valves went in the trash.

Here are the best 2 one piece valves that I ended up with out of the 3 I made.

So with all the tales of valves not sealing, I decided it would be prudent to make a test rig for the valve block assembly.  I just milled and drilled a piece of .25" AL and installed a press-lock tubing fitting that had a 10-32 thread with an o-ring seal on it.  Shown is the test fixture assembled onto the valve block.

And the regulator assembly I made.  I purchased a cheap regulator from Harbor Freight and installed an air coupler to get to my shop air supply.  Then there's a 1/8" barb fitting going to the test adapter for the valve block.  Pretty simple, but I wanted something like this for a long time as it makes applying air for test or running steam engines very easy.

I'll add just a few more pix to round out this part of the story prior to getting to the actual testing.  I made some the valve retainers, modified from the Webster plans as the original design didn't seem capable of retaining the pins.  Due to a series of stupid mistakes, I ended up making 3 different sets before I finally got to these.

The retaining pins.  I cut these from a safety pin since I found one with a wire diameter of .039 which perfectly fit thru the valve stem hole.  Simple but aggravating as they're small!!  I put them on the adhesive side of some masking tape to prevent them from escaping as I'd never find them again!

Showing a valve, a valve retainer, and pin all assembled. 

I also needed to make springs, so based on a spring winding guide that I saw on a YouTube video, I made one as shown.  The idea being that wire up to the hole diameter can be wound and the V at the end will force the wire over regardless of size, up to the limit of the hole size.  Material was a piece of random 1/2" steel rod that I had laying around. 

Shown is the actual making of a spring on the lathe. The tool and method worked out well.  That a 1/8" mandrel that I used for the intake spring.  Wire was .012 guitar string from a local music store.  They refer to it as '12 gauge' string.  To start the spring, I drilled a .040" cross hole near the end of the mandrel and then advanced the spring winding with the lathe setup for threading.  I did practice a bit and found that I could wind starting and ending coils by simply disengaging the feed, and the body of the spring was done with the lead screw engaged and the lathe running at the slowest speed possible. 

The finished inlet spring made from .012 wire.

The intake and outlet valve blocks fully assembled, prior to lapping and prior to cutting the valves to length.  The larger exhaust spring was from .022 guitar string and I ended up having to make a mandrel out of 3/16 drill rod turned down to .145".  I used the Machinery Handbook music wire spring winding table and found it to be very close.  I did try the 1/8" mandrel and a 3/16" mandrel and both sizes were wrong, but the .145" mandrel was just right!

Commencing lapping.  I applied a bit of TimeSavers extra fine grit mixed with a bit of oil.  I was conservative with the oil so the lapping paste was something like thin grease.  I didn't want it running everywhere so I mixed it on the thick side.  It's hard to see but it's the dark green substance on the valve face.

Both valves after lapping.  You can see the burnished area on each valve.  That burnished area is continuous so at this point, I thought i was successful.  When lapping I rotated the valve with my fingers with only light pressure, about 90 degrees for about 20 repetitions.  Then I picked up the valve and rotated it 90 degrees and repeated the lapping motion.  I did this until I went 360 degrees, then applied a bit more lapping paste and repeated the lapping cycle. 

Then I cut off the excessive length, the handle if you will, from each valve and cleaned up the tops.  I was also careful to make sure each valve went back into the same seat it was lapped to.  I scribed an 'I" and an "E" on the valves so I could keep track of them.

The valve block fully assembled with gaskets!  I had high hopes of success at this point.

All rigged up and ready to test.  I immersed the assembly in a plastic container of water and got ready to apply the air.  Still full of hope at this point!

I know its hard to see in the pix, but I did carefully examine the block assembly during the testing and I can assure you that both valve were leaking at very low pressure.  I tried several things, putting a bit of oil into the air inlet port, pulling on the valves by hand, rotating the valves a bit by hand while applying air and absolutely nothing made any difference. 

At this point I've disassembled the valve block assembly and started thinking about the problem.  By eye, everything looks ok, but I need to find some sort of magnifier to look at the valve face and seat more carefully.  My current theory is that the lapping process wasn't adequate.  I'm questioning the use of TimeSaver's grit in this application.  I've ordered a small can of 600 grit Clover carborundum paste, mostly based on what Brian Rupnow recommends.  My theory is that perhaps the sealing surfaces are not finely lapped, at least not enough to seal low pressure air.  I'm waiting on the shipment of it to arrive. 

Also I've carefully read what many people do and I've started questioning my use of a 90 degree countersink to cut the valve seat on the lathe when I made the valve guides.  There are lots of references to using a piloted valve seat cutter.  So if further lapping doesn't work, I made try one of those.  Comments on this point??

Also can anyone comment on my testing method?  It seems entirely reasonable to pressure test with air as shown.  But there are a number of people that seem to test with vacuum, and I'm not exactly sure as to why??  The pressure or vacuum methods would seem equivalent, and I actually think that pressure being applied would more accurately represent the actual running condition of the engine.

So, I'm open to any and all suggestions!   I was a hopeless optimist and I've fully fallen into the valves not sealing trap.

Please let me know when you think!

Mike

« Last Edit: May 27, 2021, 09:48:14 PM by mikehinz »
MIke
Wichita, KS, USA

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #54 on: May 27, 2021, 11:18:51 PM »
It all looks very familiar to me. I had problems with my valves too when I built the Webster. I always use my valve seat cutting tool which is guided in part of the valve cage. God Bless George Britnel---if he hadn't shown me how to build this tool I might have never made another engine. I've never had a lot of faith in two part valves soldered together.---Brian

Offline mikehinz

« Reply #55 on: May 27, 2021, 11:27:26 PM »
It all looks very familiar to me. I had problems with my valves too when I built the Webster. I always use my valve seat cutting tool which is guided in part of the valve cage. God Bless George Britnel---if he hadn't shown me how to build this tool I might have never made another engine. I've never had a lot of faith in two part valves soldered together.---Brian

Brian, thanks for the feedback.  I greatly respect you're views as you have built an incredible number of engines that actually work!  I have a question.  I've download George Britnell's drawing and your drawing of the valve seat cutting tool.  And while I understand the concept, I'm struggling to understand how to make it with enough precision.  Do you use a collet block to hold the drill rod to cut the flutes?  I could see that they might work if I add a work stop for the collet block and make either a 4 or 6 flute cutter.  Also, what about relief on the cutting edge?  How is that developed or is even necessary when cutting brass?  I've seen the Brownells 45 degree piloted cutter mentioned.  My faith in making my own cutting tool is currently low, given my success with the valves, but I think I could make pilots for the Brownell's tool. Any thoughts on both making my own valve seat cutting tool or using a Brownell's tool?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Mike
MIke
Wichita, KS, USA

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #56 on: May 28, 2021, 12:19:14 AM »
Mike--I was a complete newbee machinist when I made my wonderful Britnel tool. The turning part of it is really quite simple, just make sure that the pilot end is a good sliding fit thru the valve guide portion. The angle should be a true 45 degrees as set by angling your topslide. You probably have a protractor built into your lathe topslide to let you set the angle. The four circular cuts at 90 degrees to one and other are simply plunge cuts with your milling machine. If you have a rotary table with a chuck on it, use it to hold the tool while you plunge cut. You can use a fine file to cut some back relief on the tool, but I find that a back relief isn't really necessary. I made my first tool out of 01 steel and flame hardened and quenched it, but since you are only cutting brass seats you can make it from mild steel.  There is not a whole lot of precision required, except for the diameter of the pilot and the angle. I don't have any collets--I just held the tool in my 3 jaw lathe chuck.---Brian

Offline mikehinz

« Reply #57 on: June 01, 2021, 01:08:28 AM »
Sadness to report, no joy on getting my valves to seal :'(

Since my last post, I ordered and received some 600 grit carborundum lapping paste and managed to make a George Britnell style valve seat cutting tool, although I'm not all that happy with how it came out.  My attempts at filing some back relief behind the cutting edges were poor at best. 

In any case, I lightly touched each valve seat with the tool and noted just a few fine slivers of brass being cut.  I then lapped the valves and seats together using the 600 grit compound, vs my earlier attempt with 320 grit TimeSavers compound.  I reciprocated the valves against the seats by hand, back and forth about 20 times and then rotated the valve 90 degrees and repeated.  I went through about 10 complete rotations of the lapping action. 

When I look at the valves and seats, there's a clear continuous dull band on the valve face and what looks like the same in the seat. 

I attempted another pressure test and both valves leaked at no more than 2 or 3 psi.  Although this time, the exhaust held pressure slightly better than the intake. 

So, I'm open to suggestions of what to try next. 

My current thinking is that I'll try another round of lapping and if that doesn't work, I'll start remaking the valves and seats and will look at getting a vacuum test system rigged up to check each valve and seat prior to installation in the valve block.  I see a number of people do perform vacuum tests.  But with the valve seats installed in the blocks, and the holes for the ports drilled, I don't see any way of doing vacuum testing at this point.

So, any suggestions and feedback are most certainly welcome. 

Currently discouraged.

Mike
MIke
Wichita, KS, USA

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #58 on: June 01, 2021, 11:39:59 AM »
As you got the nice dull band all the way round the valve and seat - I can't help wondering if that is the place it is leaking ....  :thinking:

How about using water or kerosene, under a low positive pressure from the port side and see if and where it emerges in the combustionchamber ?

Offline mikehinz

« Reply #59 on: June 01, 2021, 01:58:41 PM »
As you got the nice dull band all the way round the valve and seat - I can't help wondering if that is the place it is leaking ....  :thinking:

How about using water or kerosene, under a low positive pressure from the port side and see if and where it emerges in the combustion chamber ?

I'm testing by immersing the entire valve block in water.  I made a test rig using a plate with an air fitting on it that the entire valve block is attached to via the mounting screws and gaskets.  When I apply air pressure, I can see the bubbles emerging from both the intake and exhaust ports.  I don't think that there's any other place there could be leaks other than the seats.  I do think that your idea of testing individual valves in such a way as to see what's going on it good, but I'm struggling how to do that on a Webster style valve block?  I'm also thinking about the vacuum test method on individual valves, but I've not worked out exactly how to do that.  I need to make a trip to Harbor Freight to look at their manual vacuum pumps, the ones typically used to bleed brakes. 

Anyway, more work on this problem later today.  Hopefully I'll make some progress.

And thanks for the input!

Mike
MIke
Wichita, KS, USA

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal