Author Topic: Edwards 5 Cylinders.  (Read 26204 times)

Offline glorfindel

Edwards 5 Cylinders.
« on: January 12, 2019, 12:32:31 AM »
Hi, here is my Edwards radial 5 project.

I have made cylinders with 6061T6 and the sleeves with C12L14. I also 3d printed some of the parts for mocking up purpose.

I mostly follow the plan and adapting some parts to my taste/tooling.

First question: Can i get ride of the oil pump and use pre mixed rc fuel??

images will follow soon...

« Last Edit: January 12, 2019, 12:38:21 AM by glorfindel »

Offline glorfindel

Re: Edwards 5 Cylinders.
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2019, 12:41:12 AM »
Sorry, tapatalk is acting weird

Envoyé de mon SM-G965W en utilisant Tapatalk

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2019, 01:20:09 AM »
Sorry, tapatalk is acting weird

As to eliminating the oil pump.....I wouldn't.   As I remember on that engine, it's a pretty simple plunger pump, and it was put there by an experienced model engine builder who designed it...so saying that I would say no.    Why?

"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline glorfindel

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2019, 01:22:23 AM »
Because i already got about 20 gallons of rc fuel with oil i  it. ;-)

Offline glorfindel

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2019, 11:55:02 PM »
Did the manifold today. No particular problems, jus a little bit worried about the small 2-56 tap.

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2019, 12:34:28 AM »
Great start!

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline petertha

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2019, 03:16:15 AM »
glorfindel, nice start on the engine.

Someone on another forum was asking about Edwards compression ratio. Since you have developed 3D CAD model, is it possible for you to determine? It looks like the design called for trimming the lips of the cylinder liner to achieve equal CR's across the cylinders. I noticed the link rod holes are phased equal 72-deg therefore the CR's would be a bit different purely by stroke geometry assuming identical rods & pistons. So this trimming would make sense to achieve both equalization & specific desired CR (within limits).

I cant answer your oil premix question directly but FYI I am building an Ohrndorf 5-cylinder radial of similar displacement. It uses conventional oil premix RC fuel as opposed to Edwards prescribed straight methanol & separate oil pump. My nose case chamber is sealed from crankcase with O-ring & has a splash oil bath to lubricate cam plates & planetary gears. On the rear of crankcase is the induction manifold plate assembly. Fuel mixture is drawn in from the rear carb, mists over the rear of the master rod assembly & then exits out the individual induction tube up to the head. I could provide some CAD pics if that helps visualize. Mine is not completed yet so I cant tell you how it runs. But its the same principle as his 9-cylinder. https://www.engineman.de/en/

I can share details of I would have to look at Edwards oil circuit more closely to compare.

Offline glorfindel

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2019, 03:31:47 AM »
glorfindel, nice start on the engine.

Someone on another forum was asking about Edwards compression ratio. Since you have developed 3D CAD model, is it possible for you to determine? It looks like the design called for trimming the lips of the cylinder liner to achieve equal CR's across the cylinders. I noticed the link rod holes are phased equal 72-deg therefore the CR's would be a bit different purely by stroke geometry assuming identical rods & pistons. So this trimming would make sense to achieve both equalization & specific desired CR (within limits).

I cant answer your oil premix question directly but FYI I am building an Ohrndorf 5-cylinder radial of similar displacement. It uses conventional oil premix RC fuel as opposed to Edwards prescribed straight methanol & separate oil pump. My nose case chamber is sealed from crankcase with O-ring & has a splash oil bath to lubricate cam plates & planetary gears. On the rear of crankcase is the induction manifold plate assembly. Fuel mixture is drawn in from the rear carb, mists over the rear of the master rod assembly & then exits out the individual induction tube up to the head. I could provide some CAD pics if that helps visualize. Mine is not completed yet so I cant tell you how it runs. But its the same principle as his 9-cylinder. https://www.engineman.de/en/

I can share details of I would have to look at Edwards oil circuit more closely to compare.
Yes, i did it in Catia and to have 8.5:1, as suggested, the lip must be .150". (Master rod)

« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 03:35:21 AM by glorfindel »

Offline rutje

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2019, 11:56:44 AM »
good start.
I built also the radial engine based on the edwards plan.
I redraw it in 3d cad and modified it to metrical.
On recommendation from a experience builder I removed the oil pump. also 2 sections, 1 with regular oil in the cam section. In the other section the carburator is connected directly on the back of the 2nd section. so the methanol with 8% klotz will lube the inside. the intake for the 5 cylinders is connected on the back of the engine.

do you have plans to use this engine on a model plane?

regards,

Timo

Offline glorfindel

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2019, 12:38:13 PM »
good start.
I built also the radial engine based on the edwards plan.
I redraw it in 3d cad and modified it to metrical.
On recommendation from a experience builder I removed the oil pump. also 2 sections, 1 with regular oil in the cam section. In the other section the carburator is connected directly on the back of the 2nd section. so the methanol with 8% klotz will lube the inside. the intake for the 5 cylinders is connected on the back of the engine.

do you have plans to use this engine on a model plane?

regards,

Timo
No.

The funny thing is that i was in rc planes from 1995 to 2010 then get bored. I was one of the first to fly an rc jet here, with a Wren mw54 turbine.

I will use the engine in my classes for different projects next fall. My goal is to make it run before june 16 ;-)

Thx for the info about lubrification.

Offline glorfindel

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2019, 05:56:41 PM »
Did another one, didnt like the finish on the first one.

Offline glorfindel

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2019, 04:52:55 PM »
Hi guys. I have a question about the manifold cover.

Why did he offset the carburator????

Offline petertha

« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2019, 07:10:02 PM »
I haven't built one but the intake manifold collection tube housing / carb mount looks to be on center according to the plans rear view. Is that what you mean?
If you mean the alignment of the facets, that probably pertains to helping with intake tube bending & the flanges etc. but just a guess

Offline glorfindel

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2019, 08:27:33 PM »
Look, the carb is not in the center of the manifold cover.

Why????

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2019, 09:24:59 PM »
Newer seen the drawings so I'm only guessing here .... is there a vane pump on the inside ?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal