Author Topic: Another Westbury Wyvern build  (Read 20689 times)

Online sco

Re: Another Westbury Wyvern build
« Reply #90 on: August 18, 2019, 09:37:55 AM »
Those lubricators look mighty dandy and match the rest of the engine, nice work David!

Did I understand right and you will be at Forncett in October - if so you need to put this engine in your hand luggage.

Simon.
Ars longa, vita brevis.

Offline deltatango

• Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #91 on: August 18, 2019, 12:29:09 PM »
Thanks Simon!

Yes, I intend to be at Forncett again in October. Flights are booked and we will be in the UK for nearly three weeks. We'll be staying for a few days with a friend in Cambridge so an early morning start from there should see me getting lost in the wilds of Norfolk in time to catch up at the Steam Museum.

There are two problems with bringing an engine in my luggage. The first is the amount of work that has to be done to prepare the engine in terms of de-fueling/de-oiling (I've looked at the necessary paperwork) and being certain that at check-in no one smells the slightest hint of petrol or you don't go (it's entirely possible that I smell slightly of petrol, not sure what happens then  :-[). The second, particular to this trip, is that there are 23.5 kg of castings being stored for me to bring back, any extra weight would be too much. When I was at Forncett two years ago I saw Tug's Throp/Southworth Corliss valve engine and thought that one of those would be a good idea so we can blame that one on Ramon.

Regards, David
Don't die wondering!

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #92 on: August 18, 2019, 07:47:53 PM »
I've never flown with an engine, I was planning to take my Huff and Puff to the USA earlier this year but chickened out. I've had too many problems with the USA borders to take any risks  :(
Best regards

Roger

Online sco

« Reply #93 on: August 18, 2019, 07:55:31 PM »
David,

Understood on the issues with flying and petrol smells - looking forward to catching up with you again at Forncett,

Best wishes,

Simon.
Ars longa, vita brevis.

Offline deltatango

• Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #94 on: September 13, 2019, 02:01:55 PM »
Wyvern has been essentially complete for a couple of weeks but difficulties with getting the inserted valve guides/seats to seal to the head have held up any actual running. I've been so focused on my attempts to get this right and on organising our visit to the UK that I've failed to take any pictures. The problem turned out to be that I'd drilled the ports from the carbie and exhaust to the guides slightly too close to the combustion chamber and there was a thin patch in the metal of the inserts that was distorting under tightening and pressure loads and failing to seal.The cure was to make an entirely new exhaust valve insert in bronze, machine out the old seating in the head and make an Al insert that was then JB welded in place. For the inlet valve, the seating in the head was OK and a plug of brass was silver soldered in and the port hole re-machined in the insert.

Setting the valve and ignition timing turned out not to be too difficult (cams will still need a bit of tweaking) and we have a runner:

[youtube1]<iframe width="560" height="315" src="<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_YUHFhS3xE" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_YUHFhS3xE</a> iframe>[/youtube1]

The engine isn't as smooth running as I'd like but we are visiting the UK for three weeks, starting next Tuesday, so it will be a month before I get back to trying to sort this out. By then the weather should have warmed up and outdoor spray painting should be possible again. I'll update this thread when the engine looks more finished but apart from that it's time to move on to a new project (after a massive workshop clean out and re-organise, that is...).

Many thanks to all the MEM members who have followed along and helped!

Regards, David
Don't die wondering!

Offline Ye-Ole Steam Dude

• Deep East Texas on Sam Rayburn Lake
« Reply #95 on: September 13, 2019, 02:21:29 PM »
Hello David,

Boy what a beautiful engine and such a great runner.

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

Offline tangler

• Christchurch, UK
« Reply #96 on: September 13, 2019, 02:54:17 PM »
David,

That's great, really impressive.

Hope to meet you at Forncett

Cheers,
Rod

Offline RayW

« Reply #97 on: September 13, 2019, 07:09:59 PM »
Nice job David. Great to see another Wyvern up and running nicely. I too had problems getting the valves to seal initially and had to re-make the valve inserts, but after a couple of runs compression increased to the point where there is really strong kick back.
Ray

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #98 on: September 13, 2019, 09:18:36 PM »
Seeing it running like that would certainly have put a big smile on my face - but I do agree that we usually are out own biggest critics  :cheers:

Looks and sounds good to me  :ThumbsUp:

Enjoy the trip to Old Blighty.

Offline deltatango

• Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #99 on: September 14, 2019, 01:18:15 AM »
Thank you Thomas, Rod, Ray and Admiral_dk!

The first runs certainly made me grin, after all the earlier frustrations (I didn't mention the Loctite failing in the crankshaft - now it is pinned as well) but there is always room for improvement! Looking at videos on-line the engines seem to be able to run regularly if a bit out of balance so this one has room for improvement - maybe more running?

Rod, I'll send a PM.

David
Don't die wondering!

Online sco

« Reply #100 on: September 14, 2019, 07:26:17 PM »
That runs just fine and dandy - got to be pleased with that!

See you in a few weeks at Forncett,

Simon
Ars longa, vita brevis.

Offline MJM460

• Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #101 on: September 16, 2019, 01:11:13 AM »
Hi David, congratulations an another runner, it looks and sounds great.

Have a great trip.

MJM460

The more I learn, the more I find that I still have to learn!

Offline deltatango

• Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #102 on: September 16, 2019, 01:21:43 AM »
Thank you Simon and MJM - I intend to enjoy the UK and the catch-up at Forncett. the Wyvern continues to improve with running and adjustment, less rough now and, sometimes, revving freely.

David
Don't die wondering!

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #103 on: September 16, 2019, 02:43:35 AM »
David,
The Wyvern sounds good, and I have no doubt that it will run better as it breaks in. Have a great trip.
Art
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

Offline Muddy Rutter

« Reply #104 on: September 16, 2019, 07:29:38 AM »
The Wyvern looks really good David!  Hope you enjoy your stay in the UK. Autumn can often be one of the loveliest seasons here. Nick.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal