Author Topic: Easton and Andersom beam engine at Bressingham.  (Read 72050 times)

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
Re: Easton and Andersom beam engine at Bressingham.
« Reply #645 on: February 13, 2021, 10:22:44 AM »
Nice  :ThumbsUp: :popcorn:

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #646 on: February 14, 2021, 03:04:26 AM »
Thanks  Scott and the holes are positioned using the rear indexing device ,,the holes are drilled and the next part is the perspex bowl and top part....

Willy

Offline MJM460

• Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #647 on: February 14, 2021, 03:14:59 AM »
Still following the amazing work you are putting into those oilers.

They really will make the model stand out.

MJM460
The more I learn, the more I find that I still have to learn!

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #648 on: February 15, 2021, 01:46:52 AM »
Hi MJM ,  thanks  however I do not have a drawing of this one as I have not been there for a year due to lockdown  ..so I have had to make it from the picture,, so this is what it should look like ..but it is twice as large as it should be  !! however as I have worked out how to make it I will make a new one with half size drills taps and dies !! I can use this one on a new much larger engine...

Willy

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #649 on: February 16, 2021, 03:50:33 AM »
So... I have made the next smaller one .. I had to make a new hardened steel jig to file the nut part on the bottom to 12 BA spanner size rather than the previous 10 BA.....so still not 1/2 size !!  The profusion at the top is for the lever to open and close the oil supply. It would be interesting to find one and take it all apart to see how it is constructed.....

Willy

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #650 on: February 18, 2021, 03:24:19 AM »
so ...I have finished the oiler with the top adjuster and it is still quite large  !! the oiler on the front of the engine is of a slightly different design..I have made a drawing and will endeavour to find out how the innards work ....

Willy

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #651 on: February 23, 2021, 02:05:11 AM »
still trying to get a more scale size  and finding out the capabilities of making very small parts ...I have modified the lathe by putting a backstop on the top slide.  I also have to drill very small holes in the stem of the oiler and have decided to mark out the alignment on a much larger diameter rod first as this is better to drill using the centre on a flatter plane . this is because of a mishap on the latest smaller oiler.  so getting there ....

Willy

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #652 on: February 23, 2021, 02:20:47 AM »
Very small, very nice parts!     :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Offline derekwarner

• Wollongong ...... Australia
« Reply #653 on: February 23, 2021, 04:09:13 AM »
I am reading day by day Willy, but now am a little confused....

A 10BA bolt spanner size is approx 3.0 mm AF.....so what diameter size drilling have you used thru the length of the bolt to get the oil from the perspex reservoir to the bearing journal?

Goodness,  :facepalm: if you have gone down to 12BA, that oil hole must be smaller

1. What type of oil will willingly flow thru such a small gallery hole?.... :DrinkPint:

2. Does the perspex reservoir breathe?

Without any machining facility, I resorted to and purchased some  M3 brass male stud with perspex bowl oilers [Microcosm].....
These have a 1.0 mm diameter drilling thru the M3 stud....the effective length of the 1.0 diameter hole is 10 mm.....so these are inserted to the M3 tapping in the 1.5 diameter bore of the original SAITO engine oiler tubes 

These tubes also have a 1.0 mm diameter hole x 3 mm long that finally feeds the 6.0 OD x 4.0 ID x 6 mm wide sintered bearing as located in the pillow block housings

Derek
« Last Edit: February 24, 2021, 03:42:13 AM by derekwarner »
Derek L Warner - Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op - Australia
www.ils.org.au

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #654 on: February 24, 2021, 03:29:08 AM »
Hi Derek, thanks for the comments and pic. I am actually cheating and not making these as working items as they are quite tiny and are trying to be scale items ??  The oil is introduced by removing the whole assembly and squirting oil in the orifice . Here is a pic of how the internals would be made ...

Willy

Offline derekwarner

• Wollongong ...... Australia
« Reply #655 on: February 24, 2021, 05:40:56 AM »
aaha  .......Willy...

Well I understand machining down to as 12 BA bolt size would be challenging......so fine to manufacture without the hole etc  :Doh:

...and when we think about it, it is prototypical to slosh lubrication on steam engine components and is the reason oil trays were made  :noidea:

My application being a working model paddle engine, I hope will run for about 20 minutes [gas tank limit] so would like to think the oilers on the paddle shaft journals could maintain this time

It certainly will be interesting to see how the ~~10 SAE Grade mineral oil [sewing machine oil] drips/flows/migrates or ascends via capillary action thru the 1.0 diameter orifaces  :shrug:

Now.....looking forward, & back to your thread........Derek

PS...I am familiar with the oilers you show.....from my apprenticeship commencing way back in 1966....and still now as the Myford Super 7 at our ILS Club workshop which has 2 x on the headstock main spindle journal [uses ISO 68 oil]
« Last Edit: February 24, 2021, 05:50:09 AM by derekwarner »
Derek L Warner - Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op - Australia
www.ils.org.au

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #656 on: February 24, 2021, 08:44:31 PM »
Sill with you Willy enjoying!

:cheers:
Don

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #657 on: February 25, 2021, 03:13:59 AM »
Hi Don and Derek..slowly getting the hang with these small parts ..the front oiler is now done exept that the operating lever on the top is about 3 times to big .... anyway. the next job is to replace the steam chest 10BA bolts with studs and 12BA nuts... Then final tidying up and repainting some the parts ..... Ido need to possibly get the photos sorted ..possibly during the day rather than 3 in the morning ?!!!

Willy

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #658 on: March 03, 2021, 01:16:35 AM »
So slowly nearing completion ... more work on the correct nuts and bolts also some touch up painting to do and the steam chest makers plate to do ....so   this has been a long project about two years so far !!!

Willy
« Last Edit: March 03, 2021, 01:22:56 AM by steam guy willy »

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #659 on: March 03, 2021, 01:27:51 AM »
Been quite a journey, long way since the Meccano mock-up parts!  Its really looking fantastic.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal