Author Topic: Easton and Andersom beam engine at Bressingham.  (Read 74979 times)

Offline steam guy willy

Re: Easton and Andersom beam engine at Bressingham.
« Reply #615 on: December 31, 2020, 02:34:51 AM »
Getting there slowly and a happy and productive new year to everybody....

Willy

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #616 on: December 31, 2020, 02:53:41 AM »
Wow. What a change from the early on Meccano mock-up!!

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #617 on: January 03, 2021, 02:06:03 AM »
Hi Chris, yes  and here is a photo of the real one  for comparison   again..The beam seems to be out of scale though and it is a built up wrought iron item rather than a casting like the standards and the architrave support arrangement...still fiddly bits to do.....

Willy
« Last Edit: January 03, 2021, 02:09:17 AM by steam guy willy »

Offline derekwarner

• Wollongong ...... Australia
« Reply #618 on: January 03, 2021, 03:59:15 AM »
Willy....

Not sure if you intend to, but adding the horizontal yellow Pencil Lines to the Beam will create the impression of thinner & longer, or not as fat

..darn....  :insane: when I look closley...each line is red/yellow/black/yellow/red  :facepalm:

Derek
« Last Edit: January 03, 2021, 04:06:46 AM by derekwarner »
Derek L Warner - Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op - Australia
www.ils.org.au

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #619 on: January 04, 2021, 02:48:26 AM »
Yes those lines are very small and I will probably only need 3 or 4 hairs on the brush...,, The next job is the oiler on the con rod and this is very tiny with a hinged lid ?!!!   so a bit like watch making  ...the difficulty with these small parts is trying to hold them  and also finding them when they fall on the floor !!

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #620 on: January 06, 2021, 04:09:36 AM »
So a bit more work on the oiler ...just working out how to do it  however when it is photographed and enlarged all the details are enlarged so you can see the faults with it ... so will do a bit more work on it ...the diameter of the part is 0.116 "

Willy

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #621 on: January 06, 2021, 04:14:09 AM »
Quite a teensy part, but that sort of detail makes a big impact.  :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #622 on: January 14, 2021, 02:49:15 AM »
Yes very small parts and more like watchmaking !!  so more oil pots and correct fittings,, When I made the brass oil pot lids ..after the turning and fine papering I polished them with dipping my finger and thumb in the polishing compound and used them to bring the parts to a high finish in the lathe !! have been a bit poorly for the last couple of weeks with back trouble and Asthma coughing..but thinking about the next model.... I may be making a diorama of the local sewerage  pumping station that is 300yards from my house !! I will be using someones previous attempts from the 80's....I have been walking past this  site for the past 45 Years and have finally got access to it !!!

Willy

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #623 on: January 14, 2021, 03:15:59 AM »
Looks like a great project, and close by to get measurements. We may both be working on pumping engines at the same time, getting ready here for a drinking water pump engine here, so we'll have it coming and going!   :Jester:

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #624 on: January 14, 2021, 03:23:43 AM »
Hi Chris , yes this is using the water turbine wheel to compress the air ,to operate the Shone injectors to push the sewerage up and down the hills in Norwich to the pumping station ...The turbines were made in Daytona Ohio...so quite a long way from home ...

Online MJM460

• Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #625 on: January 14, 2021, 08:12:09 AM »
Hi Willy, those little oil pots add marvellous detail to an already beautifully completed model.  I admire your patience and attention to detail.

The pumping station look like a greats next project with something for the engines to do built in.

But please do not get too realistic in testing the completed model.  Fresh water will be quite adequate!

MJM460

The more I learn, the more I find that I still have to learn!

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #626 on: January 14, 2021, 09:25:46 AM »
Hi Willy - I hope that cough doesn't develop into anything more - stay well old chap hope you soon feel better :ThumbsUp:

It's amazing how much time those 'small bits' consume isn't it. Good to seeing you approaching the end - know the feeling   :ThumbsUp:  and that you have another project on the cards

I can tell you a tale or two about Norwich sewers. In 1980 I spent some time diving in them ! Though still working for an offshore company a couple of us were seconded to May Gurney for a couple of weeks.  At what used to be the entrance to St Andrews car park broke into one there and built two sand bag walls several feet thick and fifteen feet apart in an egg shaped structure about 4 foot high. Pitch black and full of silt it was apparently unused fortunately but boy that silt was pongy once it dried. The resultant gap between sand bags was subsequently pumped full of cement. I have no idea what for but it's enabled me to 'lay claim' to having 'swum up' St Andrews Street :Lol:  however just up the road on that triangle of pavement in front of the church and opposite the pub there was a manhole with a deep 40 foot or so hole below and I did just that. At the bottom a small platform and black water. Beneath that surface laid another egg shaped sewer that I was required to swim up to 'look' for an incoming sewer on the left. Went up there the full length of my hose (360ft) without finding a thing. This was a much 'cleaner' area with no silt build up but a spooky dive - pitch black - hand light unable to penetrate more than a few inches and little room. 'Feel' had revealed a wider entrance at the start with two tunnels forking off just inside so then went up the left hand one too but still without finding anything. 

What has always amazed me is how those structures were built so deep underground (well at the point - the carpark entrance work was just a few feet down).

At a later date spent a few weeks high pressure washing a sewer running the length of Bracondale. A dry sewer, we used diving kit for protection and breathing but that's a whole different tale.

Sorry for the diversion but thought you might find that amusing

Hope that back improves soon, all the best for the New Year

Tug

"I ain't here for the long time but I am here for a good time"
(a very apt phrase - thanks to a well meaning MEM friend)

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #627 on: January 15, 2021, 02:00:03 AM »
thanks for this  I have quite an  interest in the waterworks around Nch and have a geologist friend that also worked at May Gurney in Trowse  and has written a few books , one called Subterranean Norwich..by Matt Williams ...I also have a friend that lives in the engine drivers house next to the Pumping station in Trowse.   

I do also have plans for the Beam engines that were there that is a future project...

Willy

Online sco

« Reply #628 on: January 15, 2021, 08:08:01 AM »
I think that would make a superb diarama Willy!  Hope you feel better soon,

Simon.
Ars longa, vita brevis.

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #629 on: January 17, 2021, 01:27:03 AM »
so the beam bearings have their oil pots fitted. so the motion straps oilers to do next..Also 
Chris, is it possible to find out if the firm Stillwell and Bierce that made the original turbine blades in Daytona  still in existence , perhaps changed their name or something  ??  And some more pics of the two types of blades they used ...Tbe first ones were very inefficient so they obtained the newer ones ...Some pics of what was installed are left outside at the moment as the pump station was decommissioned later ..!!  Also I am going to have to do quite a lot of research into how everything went together ...!!

Willy
« Last Edit: January 17, 2021, 01:31:12 AM by steam guy willy »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal