Author Topic: Easton and Andersom beam engine at Bressingham.  (Read 72108 times)

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
Re: Easton and Andersom beam engine at Bressingham.
« Reply #45 on: November 14, 2018, 03:33:06 AM »
A trick I have seen done on sheet metal beading for cars is to run down then line of the to be formed rib with a flat hammer on the anvil to prestretch the metal, supposed to reduce the curl. Annealing the brass first too should help.

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #46 on: November 15, 2018, 02:43:47 AM »
I have started on the crankshaft well.   I have almost finished the lower part of the well and it seems to coming on nicely. the rear part of base is actually wider than the front part for some reason ..possibly to give more room for the maintenance men to work on the crank.
  Thanks also to Tug for returning the  Marshall brochure.

Willy

« Last Edit: November 15, 2018, 12:22:27 PM by steam guy willy »

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #47 on: November 15, 2018, 11:52:49 PM »
The well part of the base is finished except for the webs and the feet...

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #48 on: November 18, 2018, 02:22:51 AM »
I have now milled the slots for the feet and also reduced the thickness of the top and bottom sections The slots for the webs are also milled ready to be inserted......

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #49 on: November 18, 2018, 02:38:24 AM »
 :popcornsmall:

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #50 on: November 19, 2018, 02:27:03 AM »
I am attempting the chequer plate and have punched two rows of holes with my pounce to give an indication of where to scribe the lines ...however these should have been about a foot long. In the end i did them by eye !! Although i annealed the brass it did curl up and i had to re-aneal it numerous times... I have now glued it to a thicker piece of brass ready to cut out and fit.. so i will look at it tomorrow to see how it comes out!!!
« Last Edit: November 19, 2018, 02:34:11 AM by steam guy willy »

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #51 on: November 20, 2018, 02:16:14 AM »
so, the chequer plate has sort of worked and the feet are attached ....so the webs need inserting next.   
willy

Online sco

« Reply #52 on: November 20, 2018, 07:54:37 AM »
I think it's looking good Willy!
Ars longa, vita brevis.

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #53 on: November 21, 2018, 02:20:40 AM »
I am now fitting the webs filing them from a piece of aluminium angle ..i have used a 3/32nd" milling cutter so have to file down the  14 gauge  angle ..then file them to shape and glue them in with 638 Loctite.

Offline derekwarner

• Wollongong ...... Australia
« Reply #54 on: November 22, 2018, 01:34:24 AM »
Hi Willy....have been following on here also for some time.....very interested to hear how you find the Loctite bond in this flat surface application

I have mixed emotions  :facepalm: with Loctite bonds on small surface areas

Derek
Derek L Warner - Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op - Australia
www.ils.org.au

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #55 on: November 22, 2018, 03:26:17 AM »
Hi Derek, I have been using this L 638 but only for cosmetic and low load applications  when using it on the feet this seems to be ok and also it stands up to being filed to the correct profile . On most other applications where there might be some movement i use countersunk screws and nuts. The feet were also a tight push fit using the vice jaws.!!  this being Alluminium when squashed in there is some spreading of the soft metal that also helps. I leave the parts slightly bigger and file them to shape afterwards. They do actually use Loctite to glue the Lotus car chassis together, just ten miles down the road !! 638 is the strongest as far as i know and i always leave it overnight about 18 hours...hope this is helpful

willy

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #56 on: November 22, 2018, 02:44:44 PM »
I have now been attaching the other webs.. they are Loctited in ...then copious amounts of superglue poured in ...left overnight to dry and filed off to profile.. just the other side to do and the base will be finished ....

Offline derekwarner

• Wollongong ...... Australia
« Reply #57 on: November 22, 2018, 09:51:52 PM »
Willy...I do understand the technical attributes of Loctited bonds, however this is where the main problem originates

Correctly surfaced components, degreased then with the applied Loctite Primer for the precise time, with the correct Grade of Loctite in air conditioned environments and yes I am sure the specified bond strength will be achieved

edit...derek 24.11...........................

[I have whittled my stock of the product to Grades 243 & 680........and 99.8% IPA as the degreaser]....and limit these to cylindrical [shaft in a hole....or bolted] applications

O
« Last Edit: November 24, 2018, 03:45:44 AM by derekwarner_decoy »
Derek L Warner - Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op - Australia
www.ils.org.au

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #58 on: November 25, 2018, 01:44:34 AM »
Hi And thanks for the info Derek, and i didn't know about those screw types.  The base is basically  finished and i will be making the standards with Brass plate, they will be built up as per a patten, i have painted the chequer plate but the detail is so small it is almost obliterated !!The drawings have been made to size and will be glued on the plate and then carefully cut out with tags on to slot int the webs and flanges..........

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #59 on: November 25, 2018, 01:58:02 AM »
Great job on the base. And seeing that drawing of the uprights, wow!

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal