Author Topic: Melbourne - Lets Make It Exhibition  (Read 3956 times)

Offline MJM460

• Melbourne, Australia
Melbourne - Lets Make It Exhibition
« on: October 22, 2018, 12:11:17 PM »
Couldn't make it to Forncett, but did the next best thing , and went to the exhibition by local groups in a nearby school Gymnasium, along with some of the larger models and IC engines outdoors.

Here are some photos to show that Model Engineering is alive and well around here.  Posting these from my computer, but will come back and add some notes once the photos are up.  I hope to use the iPad for that.

Couldn't get to Forncett, a couple of weeks ago, 24 hours plus in an aeroplane (each way) has lost some appeal, but did the next best thing, and went to the local "Let's Make It" Exhibition.  It was run by the Melbourne Model and Experimental Engineers group, ably supported by an impressive display from the Geelong club.  They had to drive over an hour to attend, so a great effort and great models on display.

There was also big displays by the Mecano club, Melbourne PC Users Group, the horological society, a big 3-D printer display and a very impressive year 12 high school technology students.  Probably not as big as some of the international events in total, and probably none of the groups big enough to hold an event on their own, but the total was an enjoyable and impressive display.  And despite a prime interest in model engines, I found all the different activities most interesting.  Can't do it all, but I did enjoy admiring their work.  Not bad for basically one city with some help from their friends in Geelong, a major regional centre about 45 miles away.

And three big tool dealers displays and a major book supplier were all there.  I believe they sold plenty, but to me, having met them and seeing what they have, I feel much more willing to buy from them over the Internet in future.  I suspect the future sales from new clients is probably the big benefit to them in attending.  I did purchase a book, Steam and Stirling Engines to build, and a nice set of ME taps and dies in HSS.  I have tried to stay with buying metric tooling, but in the range I use most, some of those in between sizes have advantages in avoiding a chunky look.  And to match up with some commercial fittings, the ME threads are really essential.  I have my eye on some HSS fully ground lathe tools, but the budget was spent.  Perhaps an order coming for Christmas.

I am not a member in either club, my wife says I have to give up something else before joining anything new.  But you might enjoy seeing a few photos.  Some of you will notice that I was thinking about your projects when selecting what to post.

I hope you enjoy looking at these, more to come

MJM460
« Last Edit: October 22, 2018, 12:14:40 PM by MJM460 »
The more I learn, the more I find that I still have to learn!

Offline MJM460

• Melbourne, Australia
Re: Melbourne - Lets Make It Exhibition
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2018, 12:23:57 PM »
A few more for you to enjoy, then perhaps some more tomorrow.

MJM460

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2018, 02:20:20 PM »
Thanks for posting the pictures of this event!!  Nice to know there were some high schoolers there as well, who knows, maybe some of the model engineering will rub off on them :)

Bill

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2018, 03:43:11 PM »
Nice pictures MJM, thanks for sharing.
I really liked the little tool set - that was pretty amazing.  Reminds me of the stuff John does in his dioramas.
Looks like it was a great show!
Thanks,
Kim

Offline MJM460

• Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2018, 09:52:34 AM »
Thanks Bill and Kim, I am glad you like them.  I photographed the tool set particularly for John.  The partially complete boiler was to compare with the little one purchased recently to show a dry back type.  The purchased one looks like it is a wet back design, but both have the return fire-tubes which allow the chimney to be above the burner which may help in a boat installation.

A few more today which I hope you will also find of interest.

MJM460

Online Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2018, 09:08:41 PM »
Looks like a nice meeting with some very interesting models  :ThumbsUp:

Offline MJM460

• Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2018, 10:04:24 PM »
Thanks, Admiral Dk, it was a very enjoyable day.  Not many years these exhibitions actually line up with my diary so I can attend.  But so much interesting stuff to see in all fields.  Biggest problem is it that unless you are disciplined, it tends to add too much to the future build list.  But following this forum does that too.

MJM460

Offline gary.a.ayres

• Isle of Skye & sometimes France
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2019, 11:27:42 AM »
Some very nice work on display there. Thanks for sharing!

gary

Offline Vixen

• Hampshire UK
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2019, 11:48:00 AM »
Good to see model engineering is alive and well in other parts of the world.

I liked the V12. My kind of engine

Thanks for sharing.

Mike
It is the journey that matters, not the destination

Sometimes, it can be a long and winding road

Offline vcutajar

• Marsascala, MALTA
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2019, 11:57:32 AM »
Thanks for the photos.

What intrigued me most was the fourth photo from the top.  Wonder what it is.  Is it a work in progress?

Vince

Offline MJM460

• Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2019, 01:00:17 PM »
Hi Vince, this is testing my memory as it is a thread from last year’s show.  Not too long until the next one now.

However, there are three posts each with more than four pictures, but I assume you mean the one in the more recent post P1030960.  The one with gears in the flywheel, and a little fuel tank that does not appear to be coupled to the inlet.  It is certainly fascinating but I have no idea on that one.  I will make a few enquiries and see if I can find out for you.

I think the others are two Stirling engines, and a reciprocating pump.  The reciprocating pump was interesting, it is really quite small, but there were two on display each by a different constructor.  Apparently they had a competition, with the winner being the one that continued to run the longest as they reduced the air supply pressure.  The one in the photo was the winner, but they both looked pretty good.

Great to be reminded of a great day at the show.

MJM460

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2019, 06:48:19 PM »
Nice looking models, thanks for sharing!

Dave

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2019, 07:22:08 PM »
 8)

Thanks for those.

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline fumopuc

• Munich, Germany, EU
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2019, 07:15:21 AM »
Thanks for the pictures.
Kind Regards
Achim

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal