Author Topic: Pennsylvania A3 Switcher (Kozo)  (Read 341426 times)

Offline Firebird

• East Midlands UK
Re: Pennsylvania A3 Switcher (Kozo)
« Reply #1980 on: December 03, 2022, 07:35:49 PM »
Hi Kim

I have followed your build closely and enjoyed it immensely.  :ThumbsUp:

I tend to lurk in the background and rarely comment but with regards to the boiler I know how you feel.
I kept putting off the boiler build for Conway but eventually I had to get on with it.
The designer of Conway wrote in the magazine article a small piece that finally inspired.
I would like to quote him

I hope that helps

Cheers

Rich

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #1981 on: December 03, 2022, 08:04:52 PM »
Lovely mention of our dear Kim from the youtuber "Blondiehacks".   Well deserved....congrats Kim!

OK - that made me curious - so here is :   (and she mentions Kim 9:08)  :praise2:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiAWsopdr0A" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiAWsopdr0A</a>

Per

Offline PJPickard

« Reply #1982 on: December 03, 2022, 08:29:54 PM »
I'm a big fab of Quinn(Blondihacks) While I do machining for a living...I watch most all her videos anyway. She has a great way of explaining things and never is boastful or tries to cover a mistake. I use her videos in teaching my students, it's especially good for the females and I also think the males, as they need to prove themselves!

After the fiasco of the Steam Channel build I think Quinn will do it right for a locomotive. And yes Kim she is clearly a fan of your work! Good going!

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #1983 on: December 03, 2022, 11:30:08 PM »
Wow!  I'm beyond flattered!

I've watched her videos before but hadn't seen this one.  So, of course, I had to go watch it immediately.  That was a very kind comment she made on my build.  It's rather humbling.  Because you all know what a neophite I really am!   :embarassed:

She'll be starting right where I am now - on the boiler!

I'm still sidetracked with my 3D printer.  I'll have to post some pics of all the junk I've printed, but some of it is top secret (I'm helping out Santa this year) so maybe not for a few more weeks?

Regardless, thanks for letting me know of the mention by Blondihacks.  It is quite a surprise to me for sure!

Kim
« Last Edit: December 03, 2022, 11:51:19 PM by Kim »

Offline matthew-s

« Reply #1984 on: December 03, 2022, 11:45:43 PM »
Ha! I saw this today too! I thought it was awesome that this thread was called out, and coincidental she is choosing to “build alongside you” with the boiler. Great stuff and congrats Kim!

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #1985 on: December 04, 2022, 02:44:32 AM »
Well you've hit the bigtime now Kim!

I wonder if we'll have to have our people contact your people when we want to chat here now?  :Jester:

Just joking. It was nice she mentioned your fine work on your engine, and MEM as well.
"I've cut that stock three times, and it's still too short!"

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #1986 on: December 06, 2022, 01:25:59 AM »
I can’t believe it’s been almost TWO months since I posted an update here! What’s worse, it’s been about that long since I’ve done anything on my Pennsy build!  Oh my!  What IS the world coming to?

I did, however, have a grand time getting to know my new 3D printer (I posted a short update on that over in the Additive Machining sub-forum if you’re interested in that sort of thing).

But it’s HIGH time I got back to my main project.  So today, I did.

Chapter 23.3 – Formers and Backing Plates

And today, we start on the formidable boiler.  I’m pretty excited about this, contrary to how it might seem with how long it has taken me to get to it!  But I’m here now.

We start the boiler by making a bunch of wood formers.  As is often the case when hardwood is required, I used maple from my old stock of wood that I originally purchased to make a cradle for our first child. I never quite got to that project, however.  And my first child is now grown and on her own and probably wouldn’t fit in the cradle even if I made it.  So I’m putting the wood to a different use.

I cut a bunch of blanks on the table saw to about the right size.  There are four sets of formers needed, one set for each of the following:
  1) Front Tube Sheet
  2) Backhead
  3) Firebox Sheet
  4) Throat Sheet
Each set consists of a former and a backing plate.

Starting with the Front Tube Sheet former set, I drilled a 1/4” center hole in them and, using a 1/4" bolt as a mandrel, turned them round on the lathe. Then, using a 1/16” radius router bit, I rounded the sharp edge on the former.  If I were to do this again I think I'd use something besides a 1/4" bolt.  The 1/4" bolt didn't really provide a very straight mandrel.  I'd either turn a mandrel specific for this or possibly use a larger bolt?   Whatever.  This worked OK.  but if I actually wanted it centers on the hole I'd need to do it differently. But in this case, round is good enough - concentricity would just be for the OCD part of me.  Oh yeah, and it would have helped with the 1/16" round-over.  Since there was some wobble to the circle my radius wasn't very even.  I ended up using a file to get it more 'even'. But that's plenty good.  It just needs to be a bit of a radius there.  I don't think the 1/16 has to be too exact.

At this point, I realized I should have taken a picture of the former blanks before I started working on them.  Oops.  But as you can probably imagine, the two on the left started off as square blanks.  From left to right, they are: Front Sheet Former, Firebox Sheet Former, Backhead Former, Throat Sheet Former.

Actually, after marking them all up so nicely like that, I realized that the best way to do these would be to double-sticky-tape the pairs together so that I could form them at the same time.

So, after stick-taping them together I put them in the mill to trim to final size. This is the Firebox Sheet Former set.

Once to size I used the DRO to find the right spot for the center of the arc and drilled a hole.  This will be used to center things on the rotary table in a bit.

After doing the same thing to the Backhead Former set, I moved to the Throat Sheet Former set.  This set is different in that the center for the arc on this former is off the edge of the former itself.  So I attached this set to a larger backing board to help center it.  This was also attached with double-sticky tape.  Looking at it now, I could have just made the lower former blank a half inch longer and I’d have been set.  Ah well. This works too!

Now, back to the Firebox Sheet formers.  After centering up the rotary table with my ever-so-cool coaxial indicator, I used a 1/4" gauge pin to center the former set over the RT.  Then rounded off the end.

With that done I moved to the 1/16” round-over bit to put the radius on the former.  BTW, the backing plates don’t need the rounded edges, just the former part of the set. 

But I only did the rounded end on the RT.  I moved back to the vise to round off the straight edges.

And that completed the Firebox Sheet Former set.  I’ve still got the Backhead and the Throat Former sets to go.

But that’s all I could handle for today.  So in I came to write up my exciting new update.

Thanks for checking in and sticking with me after this LONG gap in progress!
Kim

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #1987 on: December 06, 2022, 01:52:41 AM »
Oh Boy! Boiler time!   :popcorn: :popcorn:

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #1988 on: December 06, 2022, 02:13:06 AM »
Oh Boy! Boiler time!   :popcorn: :popcorn:
Oh yeah!  :ThumbsUp:  :cartwheel:

Kim

Offline RReid

• Northern California
« Reply #1989 on: December 06, 2022, 02:13:42 AM »
As is often the case when hardwood is required, I used maple from my old stock of wood that I originally purchased to make a cradle for our first child. I never quite got to that project, however.  And my first child is now grown and on her own and probably wouldn’t fit in the cradle even if I made it.
I'd say that's well seasoned by now.
Regards,
Ron

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #1990 on: December 06, 2022, 03:09:54 AM »
 :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

:cheers: to boiler building!

Have you got the book "How to Soften Copper" by A.Neal?  :Lol:  (sorry for worst pun in a long time)
"I've cut that stock three times, and it's still too short!"

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #1991 on: December 06, 2022, 03:55:23 AM »
As is often the case when hardwood is required, I used maple from my old stock of wood that I originally purchased to make a cradle for our first child. I never quite got to that project, however.  And my first child is now grown and on her own and probably wouldn’t fit in the cradle even if I made it.
I'd say that's well seasoned by now.
Yes, it's been 'seasoning' for some time.  However, the ends of some of the boards got soaked a few years back when my water heater broke.  But it seems to work well enough regardless! :)

Kim

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #1992 on: December 06, 2022, 03:56:34 AM »
:ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

:cheers: to boiler building!

Have you got the book "How to Soften Copper" by A.Neal?  :Lol:  (sorry for worst pun in a long time)

Yes, I'll be re-reading it carefully for these operations  :ROFL:
Kim

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #1993 on: December 06, 2022, 05:32:27 PM »
I have only just seen the Blondihacks link, Congratulations  :)

Lots of work with the brown stuff now.
Best regards

Roger

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #1994 on: December 06, 2022, 06:26:41 PM »
Congrats Kim on the mention about your work. Formers look great waiting on the copper work. You got this bud …… :Love:

:drinking-41:
Don

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal