Author Topic: Pennsylvania A3 Switcher (Kozo)  (Read 327519 times)

Offline Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
Re: Pennsylvania A3 Switcher (Kozo)
« Reply #1905 on: September 24, 2022, 10:28:24 PM »
Today I painted the pumps and replaced the glass in the lubricator pump.   Here they are, painted and re-assembled, with gasketless Loctite seal used on the various connections.

I also made some more springs.  Turns out the ones I had made before were made from piano wire.  Duh… not a good material to use when the spring will be in contact with water!  So I made some new ones using stainless steel wire.  Not hard, just a job that needed to be done.

Now I’m starting on the eccentric rod & strap for the lubricator pump.

Kim

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #1906 on: September 25, 2022, 12:57:45 AM »
 :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:
"I've cut that stock three times, and it's still too short!"

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #1907 on: September 25, 2022, 08:10:06 AM »
Glad you got those little problems solved  :ThumbsUp:  :ThumbsUp:  :wine1:
Best regards

Roger

Offline Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #1908 on: September 25, 2022, 08:18:39 PM »
Thanks CRN and Roger!  :cheers:
Kim

Offline petertha

« Reply #1909 on: September 29, 2022, 04:03:44 AM »
Here they are, painted and re-assembled

Very nice. Maybe you said in some of your earlier posts, but what kind of paint/application are you using? They look very nice particularly at this reduced scale.

Offline Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #1910 on: September 29, 2022, 05:17:51 AM »
Thanks, Petertha,
Yes, I'm powder-coating all the parts.  I really like that process so much better than spray paint!  I'm not so fond of the whole painting thing - I always get a mess and it's sticky or runs or whatever (read as - I'm not very good at it!).  But the powder coating works so much better for me. I find powder coating a more enjoyable process and get much more satisfactory and more durable results!

Kim

Offline Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #1911 on: September 29, 2022, 11:17:36 PM »
Chapter 21.11 – Eccentric Strap
The final part for the lubricator is the eccentric rod and strap.

This one is made exactly the same as the one for the feedwater pump, so I didn’t bother to take any pics.  If you go back to that episode and reread it, you’ll have exactly the same experience!  (Here's the link for it, just in case you're actually interested :) )

Here’s the completed Eccentric Rod and Strap:

One oops here… you might have noticed an extra hole (or starting of one at least) on the face in front of the oil cup? In this picture, the oil cup is facing downward, so just to the left of that.  This is where I STARTED to drill the oil cup but luckily noticed before I got too far into it.  I could kick myself for that!  But I reoriented the part and drilled it in the right place and it should be totally functional.  It just has that extra beauty mark on the side face now…  :embarassed:

Ah well.  Live and (hopefully) learn.   I don’t think I’ll do it over.  Once it’s together you can’t see that anyway.  So, the only way anyone would know about my booboo is if they bother to read the hundreds of posts I have here on my build!  And if someone is willing to do that, they are welcome to my dirty little secrets, you know?  :Lol:

Thanks for checking in on me,
Kim

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #1912 on: September 30, 2022, 02:29:20 AM »
That feature on the front face is probably a device to slow down any oil drips to retain them to the assembly as long as possible... that would be my story!  :Lol:

If you can't easily fix it - feature it!  :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:
"I've cut that stock three times, and it's still too short!"

Offline Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #1913 on: September 30, 2022, 05:17:34 AM »
That feature on the front face is probably a device to slow down any oil drips to retain them to the assembly as long as possible... that would be my story!  :Lol:

If you can't easily fix it - feature it!  :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Thanks CNR!  I like that story.  Don't know why Kozo didn't include that feature in his drawings!  I've just made improvements to his work  ;D

And now, looking at that picture, I realized I still need to take down the sides on the strap where it connects to the eccentric rod.  I forgot to do that today.  I'll catch it first thing tomorrow.

I also considered filing down the edge of the oil cup surface, but I'm not sure I could get it looking as crisp.  And that might bother me more than just leaving it as is...

Kim

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #1914 on: September 30, 2022, 11:04:41 AM »
It just has that extra beauty mark on the side face now…  :embarassed:

... and me who thought that it was a recessed Quality Stamp ....  ;)

Per

Offline Michael S.

• Germany, Saxony-Anhalt, Magdeburg
« Reply #1915 on: September 30, 2022, 11:27:14 AM »
Hello Kim, at first I thought the hole was set completely wrong. But the hole is only drilled.
It wouldn't have been bad and you would have tapped both holes.
And the hole that is not needed is closed with a cap. So a combined eccentric for both installation options. Vertical or Horizontal.

But again a beautiful part that is finished.

Michael

Offline kvom

« Reply #1916 on: September 30, 2022, 12:52:47 PM »
Oil cup for that eccentric could be hard to access being between the frames.

Offline Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #1917 on: September 30, 2022, 06:05:18 PM »
It just has that extra beauty mark on the side face now…  :embarassed:

... and me who thought that it was a recessed Quality Stamp ....  ;)

Per
That's it, Per!  That's what it is!   :ROFL:

Hello Kim, at first I thought the hole was set completely wrong. But the hole is only drilled.
It wouldn't have been bad and you would have tapped both holes.
And the hole that is not needed is closed with a cap. So a combined eccentric for both installation options. Vertical or Horizontal.

But again a beautiful part that is finished.

Michael
Hmm.... good idea, Michael!  I should have done that.  I still could, but then I'd have to re-drill the oil hole.  Not too big of a chore. I may have to consider this!

Oil cup for that eccentric could be hard to access being between the frames.
Good point there, Kvom.  Yeah, those oil cups won't be easy to access for sure.  It must be possible though... (he says optimistically)

Kim

Offline Michael S.

• Germany, Saxony-Anhalt, Magdeburg
« Reply #1918 on: September 30, 2022, 06:56:20 PM »
hello Kim, that with the cap was just an idea of ​​mine. I would leave it as it is. And if I could fix the problem at all, I would solder the hole shut with soft solder and go over it with a file.

Perhaps the oil cup can be attached to the frame from the outside and a pipe leads the oil to the eccentric ring.

Greetings Michael

Offline Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #1919 on: September 30, 2022, 10:36:48 PM »
Thanks, Michael,

The eccentric straps won't really have an official oiler.  They just have a small hole to act as a little oil reservoir for lubrication.  And I think there will be enough room between the running board and the frame to get the spout of an oil can in there to place a few drops of oil in each of these oil cups.

Guess we'll see.  But there have been a LOT of these A3's built using Kozo's plans so I'm betting this isn't an insurmountable issue!

Kim

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal