Author Topic: Pennsylvania A3 Switcher (Kozo)  (Read 341428 times)

Offline propforward

• MN, USA
Re: Pennsylvania A3 Switcher (Kozo)
« Reply #1665 on: May 21, 2022, 02:39:38 AM »
Nice work! All good progress.
Stuart

Forging ahead regardless.

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #1666 on: May 21, 2022, 04:38:23 AM »
Thanks Ron, Chris, and Stuart!  :cheers:

Kim

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #1667 on: May 25, 2022, 01:25:54 AM »
Chapter 18.14 – Setting Reverse Arms

The next part is setting the reverse arms in the correct position.  Kozo gives info on WHERE the arms need to be set, but not really HOW to do it.  He says to set the arms 112o from the curved reverse shaft and shows a picture of it, but I didn’t find that very helpful.  I spent a lot of time trying to work out how to do this.  Eventually, I used some cardboard angle templates that I made for helping to set angles on my grinder and this seemed to work out the best.

Then once you get the reverse arms set, you have to set the reach rod arm at a certain angle from those.  It took a while, but I got it close enough and tightened up the set screws.

I set things up, tried it out and it seemed to give me the necessary range of motion (at least, once I got all the parts to fit together – this was the first time most of them had been assembled!)  I’m sorry to say that MANY e-clips were lost during this operation.  Luckily, I’d purchased a package of 100, and I’m pretty sure I still have a few left. :/

After that lengthy but necessary check, I carefully drilled the 1/16” hole through the shaft and pinned the arms in place.

The pins are a friction fit, and I tried to peen over the ends a bit to help them stay in place. Then I carefully ground down the ends of the pins flush using a Dremel.  I removed the set screws also since they are really only used to hold things in place till the pins are added.

Chapter 18.15 – Setting Reverse Gear and Cutting Notches

Kozo provides very good, very clear instructions on how to set the quadrant notches for the reversing lever. 

After re-assembling the reverse arms and shaft I trimmed the reverse rod to length and cut the center notch on the quadrant:

I had to remove the steam chest covers to align the vales with the correct places to put the other notches in the quadrant.

And here’s after I cut all the notches in the quadrant.

Oddly, the latch doesn’t seem to be sitting in the center notch properly in this picture.  I’ll have to check on that.  But it seems to click in pretty well at all notches, as can be seen in this short ‘reverse lever demonstration’ video :)
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIlnlewyBpg" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIlnlewyBpg</a>

Finally, here’s a full family shot of everything done to date:

But I just couldn’t resist hooking up the air and giving it a try with the reverse lever in place.  It works pretty well.  But you can detect some galloping in there. Still need to tweak the valve adjustment a bit, but I’ll probably wait till after I paint and re-assemble before I do that.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbGOmL8hJdY" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbGOmL8hJdY</a>

I’m going to be taking a break from the Pennsy for a bit and start working on my welding project again. I think I’m up for that now! :)

Thanks for stopping by!
Kim
« Last Edit: December 06, 2022, 01:59:55 AM by Kim »

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #1668 on: May 25, 2022, 01:40:36 AM »
Kim, that's excellent!  Very crisp clean parts, self starting in both directions, your making great progress.   :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Offline RReid

• Northern California
« Reply #1669 on: May 25, 2022, 02:24:26 AM »
That's really awesome, kim. Isn't a good Johnson Bar one of the funnest toys ever? (well, OK, maybe I'm exaggerating just a little). Welding is fun too, enjoy! :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :cheers:
« Last Edit: May 25, 2022, 02:39:58 PM by RReid »
Regards,
Ron

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #1670 on: May 25, 2022, 02:40:12 AM »
Looks great Kim!
Very nice work.

Dave

Offline propforward

• MN, USA
« Reply #1671 on: May 25, 2022, 02:42:56 AM »
Just wonderful - great work!

EDIT:I keep saying things like that because I am so impressed I can’t think of anything else to say. Sorry - a bit repetitive I know but I really am enjoying this build log.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2022, 02:51:23 AM by propforward »
Stuart

Forging ahead regardless.

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #1672 on: May 25, 2022, 04:59:38 AM »
Thanks Chris, Ron, Dave, and Stuart!  :cheers:
Appreciate the comments.  And encouragement NEVER gets old! (or repetitive!)

Kim

Offline JCvdW

• Somerset West, South Africa
« Reply #1673 on: May 25, 2022, 05:25:19 AM »
Thanks Kim for this detailed and inspiring build log! Apart from Kozo's book, this will become a very helpfull reference in (my) future!
There is no planet B ...

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #1674 on: May 25, 2022, 11:28:11 AM »
Impressive result and a major Milestone Kim  :praise2:

Per

ps   do not weld yourself to the table  :mischief:

Offline Baltic

• Mt Doran, Vic Australia
« Reply #1675 on: May 25, 2022, 11:44:41 AM »
Awesome work there Kim!! you would have been very happy seeing all that had work spinning around !!  :cheers:

Offline MJM460

• Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #1676 on: May 25, 2022, 12:27:11 PM »
Hi Kim, that’s a great milestone, and a great place to take a break to get something else moving before you tackle the next bit.  Boiler perhaps? 

I really like the way you present each part as it’s own separate project.  Definitely gives a much better of how much amazing work is involved in getting a locomotive complete.  Your work is amazing.

Enjoy the break, but I will be following along with that one too.

MJM460

The more I learn, the more I find that I still have to learn!

Offline kvom

« Reply #1677 on: May 25, 2022, 01:02:35 PM »
Big milestone there  :ThumbsUp:

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #1678 on: May 25, 2022, 01:10:40 PM »
Great running engine Kim! well done.  :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp:
"I've cut that stock three times, and it's still too short!"

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #1679 on: May 25, 2022, 02:15:20 PM »
Thank you all for the kind words and encouragement!

MJM, I think the next mini-projcet on the Pennsy is drain cocks.  Then the oil pump, and after that, I'm not sure. I think there are still a few things before we get to the boiler. But it's coming right up!  (well, sometime in the next year or so  :embarassed:)

Kim
« Last Edit: June 09, 2022, 04:52:26 PM by Kim »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal