Author Topic: Pennsylvania A3 Switcher (Kozo)  (Read 327784 times)

Offline RReid

• Northern California
Re: Pennsylvania A3 Switcher (Kozo)
« Reply #1650 on: May 14, 2022, 12:12:21 AM »
Having never used angle blocks, my first thought on seeing that picture was "...what?...". But your process makes good sense once described. Nice work as always. :ThumbsUp:
Regards,
Ron

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #1651 on: May 14, 2022, 12:14:48 AM »
 :Love:..  :ThumbsUp:

:cheers:
Don

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #1652 on: May 14, 2022, 05:19:48 AM »
Thanks Chris, CNR, Ron and Don!  :cheers:

Yeah, the stack of angle blocks can be unwieldy.  I'm sure the angle gets a little off when you tape them together like that, but this was only for a clearance cut, so +/- a few degrees didn't really matter :)

Kim

Offline kvom

« Reply #1653 on: May 14, 2022, 07:59:05 AM »
Be aware that by reversing an angle block you subtract the angle instead of adding it.  You can also make good quality blocks stick together by squeezing the air between them out, just like gage blocks.

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #1654 on: May 14, 2022, 03:49:16 PM »
Be aware that by reversing an angle block you subtract the angle instead of adding it.
Good point, Kvom! I'm pretty sure I got them all in the intended direction.  But that's good to remember!

You can also make good quality blocks stick together by squeezing the air between them out, just like gage blocks.
Well, that may speak to the quality of my angle blocks. They're the best cheap imports money can buy!  :Lol:

Kim

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #1655 on: May 14, 2022, 10:08:31 PM »
Chapter 18.11 –Reverse Shaft Bearings

Today’s task was to tackle the Reverse Shaft Bearings.  These are little triangle-shaped brackets that mount to the guide yokes and hold the curved reverse shaft in place.

The reverse shaft bearings were made from some 1/4" x 5/8” 1018 bar stock.   I started by taking a short length of it and taking the 1/4" width down to 0.200”.

Then I drilled and reamed the bearing hole for the reverse shaft.  I’m making two of these bracket/bearing things in one piece here – one on each end.

Then flipping it on end,  I drilled and tapped some 3-48 holes for mounting the brackets.  I did this to both ends.

With all the important holes completed it was time to slice the two brackets apart.  Everything that happens after this is purely cosmetic.  It’s the position of the holes that matters in this piece.

I held the part with a 15o angle block to taper one side.

Flipping it over, I now held it in place with a 30[usp]o[/sup] angle block to get a 15o angle on the other side.  (I slid the angle bracket out of the way when I was doing the milling!)

All that was left was to use some filing buttons to help file the narrow end round.  And here are the completed bracket/bearings.

Test fitting them in place looked good!  You can see about how things will look.  None of the arms are fixed in place yet, they are just swinging freely on the shaft.

Here’s another shot of the reverse shaft bearing, just for fun.

Thanks for looking in!
Kim

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #1656 on: May 15, 2022, 03:22:16 AM »
Great looking parts and craftsmanship Kim. Love the zero clearance on the band saw.._ :Love:

:drinking-41:
Don

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #1657 on: May 15, 2022, 04:56:32 AM »
Thanks Don!  :cheers:
Kim

Offline Minh Thanh

« Reply #1658 on: May 15, 2022, 05:44:02 AM »
Hi Kim!
  I like the way you "interact" with people.  :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp:
 Thank you for that .

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #1659 on: May 15, 2022, 03:50:33 PM »
Thanks Minh!  :embarassed:

Kim

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #1660 on: May 15, 2022, 06:17:38 PM »
The bracketry looks great Kim!  :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:
"I've cut that stock three times, and it's still too short!"

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #1661 on: May 20, 2022, 10:41:20 PM »
Thank you CNR!  :cheers:

Chapter 18.12 – Radius Rod Hangers

After the bearing/brackets, I made the Radius Rod Hangers.  These are the connecting link between the Reverse Arm and the Radius Rod.

These were made from 1/8” x 1/4" 1018 steel bar. I took 3” of stock and thinned it to 5/64” thick.

After cutting that in half, I double sticky taped the two pieces together and then drilled two #49 holes on the centerline, exactly 1 11/32” apart.  These holes will be used to hold the part on the jig. They will later be reamed to 5/64”.

On my small part holding jig I made holes at the four inside corners of the hangers using a 1/8” center cutting end mill.

Then milled both sides down so that the center portion was 1/8” wide.

Next up was the filing button.  I didn’t include a picture of that. I’m sure you’ve seen plenty of filing button shots. If not, look back a few posts and you’ll find one there :)

After rounding the ends the parts were done:

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #1662 on: May 20, 2022, 10:43:11 PM »
Chapter 18.13 – Pins

The final parts for the reversing assembly are some pins.  These will hold the hangers to the reverse arms and the radius rod.

These were made from 3/32” 12L14 rod.  I turned a short length down to 5/64” then used my smallest grooving tool (1/64”) to cut slits for e-rings.  Here’s one complete, being cut off the parent stock:

And here are all four of the pins.

Interestingly, the plans say you need four of these.  But counting in the assembly drawing for the reverse gear I will clearly need six of them.  Guess I’ll be making a couple more.

I also noticed in that ultra magnified shot there that I need to file the pips off the end of the pins.  I clearly never remembered to do that.   Those parts are so small it's hard to see!

Kim

Offline RReid

• Northern California
« Reply #1663 on: May 21, 2022, 12:36:15 AM »
Rather than filing the pip off, often I like to turn parts like that around in the collet and face the pip off. Then both ends look exactly the same, and the time and effort is about the same. Nice pins either way!
Regards,
Ron

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #1664 on: May 21, 2022, 12:42:14 AM »
Those look great! 

Are you going to make your own e-clips too? Either way, make/get extras, those little things just LOVE to fly across the room and behind furniture!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal