Author Topic: Pennsylvania A3 Switcher (Kozo)  (Read 327389 times)

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
Re: Pennsylvania A3 Switcher (Kozo)
« Reply #1485 on: January 21, 2022, 05:04:03 AM »
Getting closer Kim and excellent work and presentation….. :Love:

:drinking-41:
Don

Offline fumopuc

• Munich, Germany, EU
« Reply #1486 on: January 21, 2022, 01:31:30 PM »
Hi Kim,
I do like all the small details of this build.
There are so many tiny part to make.
Nice to see it coming together.
Kind Regards
Achim

Offline Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #1487 on: January 21, 2022, 05:50:16 PM »
Thanks for following along Don and Achim!   :cheers:

Kim

Offline Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #1488 on: January 24, 2022, 01:12:32 AM »
Now that I’ve got the measurements for the eccentric rods, it’s time to make them.  It turns out that one needs to be about 8 thou longer than the other.  But they are both about 25 thou longer than Kozo showed on the plans.  I guess that’s why he says to measure them and make them THAT size! :)

The eccentric rods were made from 1/8” x 1/4” 1018 flat bar.

The first op was to drill the center for the end holes at exactly my measured values.  I made the holes an interim size so it's easier to hold in a jig.  I’ll drill them out to the final size when the rest of the machining is done.

With that done, I will do the rest of the operations relative to the holes themselves.  That way I don’t have to worry about the actual lengths of the rods.  So here I’m using a gauge pin to center on one of the holes before the next op.

Which is to drill 1/8” holes that help define the rod from the rounded ends.  This is the small end, so it only gets 2 holes.  Since some of these holes are on the edge of the part I used a 1/8” center cutting end mill for this op.

Now, this is the big end.  It has an oil fixture built-in.  So I drilled four holes; above and below the rod, and then to the left and right of the oil fixture.  Again, all holes locations were measured relative to the center of the big-end rod hole.

And then I drilled the oil hole.

Now we start to shape the rod.  I used a roughing mill to take down the bigger side some. This is not the final tapered shape, but it gets rid of a bunch of metal before the next step.  Just to help give context I put the part I hadn’t done yet in front of the vise jaws so you can hopefully see the difference between the two.  I also took a little metal off the small end and took the oil fixture to the correct height.

Next, I filed the ends round using filing buttons.

Now to thin the rod section down I mounted it vertically to the jig and peeled off a bit from each side.  This is why I used the roughing mill to take out a bunch of metal.  It just made less to thin here. The picture shows just after completing the first side:

With the sides thinned, it is now time to taper the rod.  While this looks like the same jig (and it IS the same hunk of aluminum) I actually drilled a different set of holes that holds the rod at a very slight angle (about 0.46o or so).  Then a few careful passes on each side here and the rod was all tapered.

With that, the rods are complete!  Except, now that I look at the picture I realize I never re-drilled the holes to the final size.  So I’ll be doing that first thing next time!  But that shouldn’t take much effort.

I still have a bushing to make for the big end, then it’ll be ready for assembly.

Thanks for checking in on my build!
Kim

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #1489 on: January 24, 2022, 01:19:59 AM »
Hi Kim

You are making great progress and everything is looking very nice! I have not said much lately but I'm still following along with each update.

Dave

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #1490 on: January 24, 2022, 01:30:45 AM »
It's like watching Kozo do another article!!! that whole thing is coming along splendidly!   I Remember the adjustable link issue quite well.   

She's going to be a nice runnah for sure.    Still following along Kim,

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline RReid

• Northern California
« Reply #1491 on: January 24, 2022, 02:02:13 AM »
More really nice work, Kim.  :ThumbsUp:
Regards,
Ron

Offline Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #1492 on: January 24, 2022, 05:16:03 AM »
Thanks Dave, Dave, and Ron!  :cheers:

I do believe it will be a runner.  At least, I hope so!  I'm certainly enjoying the build and learning a lot from Kozo's book.

Kim

Offline fumopuc

• Munich, Germany, EU
« Reply #1493 on: January 24, 2022, 06:20:25 AM »
Hi Kim,
very nice rods. I do like the finish over all. Smooth surface.

Kind Regards
Achim

Offline Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #1494 on: January 24, 2022, 04:34:25 PM »
Thank you Achim!
Kim

Offline Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #1495 on: January 24, 2022, 10:32:19 PM »
Chapter 17.16 – Bushings

Today I made the bushing for the big ends.  It was a super simple turning exercise.  So simple that I didn’t take any pictures.  And now that they are Locktited into place and behind the pins, you can’t even see them.   Ah well…

But with all the valve gear in place, I just couldn’t resist trying to run things on Air!

So, I put the covers on the steam chests and gave it a go.    I was hoping that the radius rods would stay in the lower position even without anything there to hold them down.  Gravity is working in my favor here. :)

And here's the documented evidence; There’s a ton of air loss. Sure, there are no gaskets but the biggest loser is the holes for the cylinder cocks.  Of course, I haven’t made those yet!  So, I took some short 8-32 screws and gently placed them in the 8-36 cylinder cock holes.  I didn’t tighten them very much because I didn’t want to screw up the threads.  Only got a thread and a half of engagement, of course, but it's better than a wide-open hole.  Still quite breezy under the cylinders I can tell you.  But the important thing is, IT WORKS!  :pinkelephant:
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUwfXvRRgMk" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUwfXvRRgMk</a>

Some of the loud clacking you hear is coming from the front wheels tipping back and forth due to the suspension wiggling.  So I taped that down to decrease the rattling.  And while I was doing that I had an idea!  I could tape the radius rods in the UP position, and see if it will run in reverse!  And sure enough, it does!  :cartwheel:
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bD6Ol3Zah8" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bD6Ol3Zah8</a>

While it takes a good bit of air to get things started, I think it will get better when I’m losing less air through the cylinder cock holes.  But I can feel air escaping around the steam valve rod gland too, so those will need some attention on the packing.

But the fact that it runs is just so exciting I can hardly stand it!  I even made my wife step out into the shop to see it go!  :cartwheel: :pinkelephant: :cartwheel:

Thanks for looking and sharing my happiness!
Kim
« Last Edit: December 07, 2022, 01:15:36 AM by Kim »

Offline propforward

• MN, USA
« Reply #1496 on: January 24, 2022, 10:38:25 PM »
Well done Kim! What a milestone, I can totally understand your excitement. Very well done!
Stuart

Forging ahead regardless.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #1497 on: January 24, 2022, 10:45:05 PM »
 :whoohoo:

Excellent!! 

Part of the clicking was probably your grin splitting your face!

Offline Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #1498 on: January 24, 2022, 11:07:35 PM »
Thanks Stuart and Chris!
Yes, you're right, I did have a face-splitting grin for sure!  ;D

Kim

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #1499 on: January 24, 2022, 11:53:46 PM »
Excellent Kim! she's a runner! well done.  :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:
"I've cut that stock three times, and it's still too short!"

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal