Author Topic: Pennsylvania A3 Switcher (Kozo)  (Read 73316 times)

Offline Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
Re: Pennsylvania A3 Switcher (Kozo)
« Reply #1020 on: April 17, 2021, 05:11:40 AM »
Great sequence, worked great!  On the counterbore, did you harden/temper it?

Thanks Chris!

I hardened the counterbore but didn't bother to temper, since I only needed it for two holes.  It has a very short useful life, so as long as it lasted for my two holes, I was set.  useful life is short.  And I always find it hard to keep the 'tempering' from getting too hot on the thin parts of the tool (like the sharp edges) which would start to draw away the hardening.  So I just skipped the tempering this time.

Kim

Offline Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #1021 on: April 17, 2021, 05:13:24 AM »
Thank you for the encouragement Julian, Joe, Bob, Dave, and Craig!
Really appreciate the comments  :cheers:
Kim
« Last Edit: April 17, 2021, 05:17:01 AM by Kim »

Offline Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #1022 on: April 17, 2021, 05:16:49 AM »
That's really nice work Kim, both the parts and the write-up.

It would seem that those little tapped holes would be for a small oil cup, but when I reviewed my copy of the book the bushings aren't shown as being drilled, so oil wouldn't get through anyway. Maybe a dummy oil cup was intended? I couldn't find a single photo or drawing showing the side rods assembled in anything other than a "rods down" position, in which case that area is always hidden from view. I imagine you looked too, but I got curious.

Thanks for the kind words Ron and for checking on those tapped holes.  Yes, I looked through the book several times and couldn't find anything to go in there.  I considered oil cups, but never saw any.  I also thought about a set screw to hold the bearings in place, but the threads don't go all the way through.  they only go partway in.  So I'm stumped. But I put them in because it was in the drawings! :)

I appreciate you looking too.  Maybe one of will figure out what those tapped holes are for someday!
Kim

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #1023 on: April 17, 2021, 01:27:44 PM »
You may want to check this forum, the Kozo support group!
https://livesteam.proboards.com/board/3/kozo-hiraoka-support-group
Chris

Online Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #1024 on: April 23, 2021, 03:01:50 PM »
Excellent work on the rods  :praise2:  :praise2: It's interesting that suddenly a metric dimension appears  :headscratch:
Best regards

Roger

Offline Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #1025 on: April 23, 2021, 04:40:24 PM »
Yes, I have found that interesting too!   Several of the internal diameters on the wheels are in metric.  I'm sure he just used those because they were convenient for him.  For the most part, everything is in inch units.  But those few really threw me for a bit!

Kim