Author Topic: Pennsylvania A3 Switcher (Kozo)  (Read 345261 times)

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
Re: Pennsylvania A3 Switcher (Kozo)
« Reply #1635 on: May 11, 2022, 05:25:46 AM »
Thanks CNR!
Yeah, I ordered the Bendinizer 3000 from ACME*.  I considered getting the Bendinizer 2000, but I went all out and decided on the 3000.  It's so rewarding to use quality tools!   :ROFL:

Kim

*ACME is where Wile E Coyote got all of his stuff for trying to capture the Roadrunner! :)

Offline Baltic

• Mt Doran, Vic Australia
« Reply #1636 on: May 11, 2022, 01:43:06 PM »
Great work there Kim, some real fiddly little parts there, I like you round bar bending jig, done the business

Thanks Gary

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #1637 on: May 11, 2022, 02:04:36 PM »
Thank you Gary!  :cheers:
Kim

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh, NC. USA
« Reply #1638 on: May 11, 2022, 10:00:46 PM »

Well, today is a big anniversary for me - it's 12 weeks exactly from the date of my surgery.  So as of today, I'm able to start (slowly - so says my wife) expanding my range of motion and my weight restrictions and such.  I'm excited about that! But it will likely be a while till I'm back to pressing 250 lbs!  (Not that I could even do that before the surgery!  :Lol:)

I'm certainly feeling very much back to normal now.  I've really noticed feeling better overall and more energy over the last few weeks.  So I think things are going great!

I guess you and I can commiserate together.  Like you, things are getting a bit better every day.

I’ve said this before but… building a live steam loco is not for the quitters.  This is a multi-year dedication of time and resources.  I’ve been following along, though I don’t often comment.  You’re doing a fantastic job. 
 :ThumbsUp:
Craig
The destination motivates us toward excellence, the journey entertains us, and along the way we meet so many interesting people.

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #1639 on: May 11, 2022, 10:20:41 PM »
Thank you Craig!  I appreciate the encouragement!  ;D

Hope your recovery continues as well as mine has.
Kim

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #1640 on: May 11, 2022, 11:04:06 PM »
The ACME stuff's great! The coyote always had the best gadgets and merchandise from them.

Re bench pressing numbers before / after surgery - I still say "I'll be pressing 250 again soon" after my neck surgery but I don't mention that means 250 grams, not pounds. The power of the metric system!  :Lol:  :cheers:
"I've cut that stock three times, and it's still too short!"

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #1641 on: May 11, 2022, 11:25:47 PM »
The ACME stuff's great! The coyote always had the best gadgets and merchandise from them.

Re bench pressing numbers before / after surgery - I still say "I'll be pressing 250 again soon" after my neck surgery but I don't mention that means 250 grams, not pounds. The power of the metric system!  :Lol: :cheers:
After my thumb tendonitis healed it was getting back to 12 ounce curls! Or 16 ounce for the bottled stuff...   :DrinkPint:

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #1642 on: May 12, 2022, 12:26:15 AM »
 :ThumbsUp: :cheers:

The 6 dose cure / cold snack therapy as my Dad used to say.  :DrinkPint:

Offline kvom

« Reply #1643 on: May 12, 2022, 06:11:35 AM »
My current recovery is the 4th day locked in a hotel room in Germany after a positive covid  test.  I've had time to catch up on this and other threads.  No symptoms.  Hoping to test out today or tomorrow.

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #1644 on: May 12, 2022, 01:41:57 PM »
Sorry to hear that Kvom - didn't know that the Germans still have Isolation requirements ..

To you all - have a quick recovery  :cheers:

Per

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #1645 on: May 12, 2022, 03:56:59 PM »
Sorry to hear that KVOM.  Hope you aren't feeling too poorly and that you get that negative Covid test soon!

Kim

Offline propforward

• MN, USA
« Reply #1646 on: May 12, 2022, 10:57:18 PM »
My current recovery is the 4th day locked in a hotel room in Germany after a positive covid  test.  I've had time to catch up on this and other threads.  No symptoms.  Hoping to test out today or tomorrow.

Well that is awful news, very sorry to hear it and I hope you test negative very soon. Sounds like your not actually sick so that's something good.

Side note - was going to ship your rotary table today but I'll wait until I know you are on the way back.
Stuart

Forging ahead regardless.

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #1647 on: May 13, 2022, 10:21:05 PM »
Chapter 18.10 – Reach Rod Arm  and Reverse Arm

Next up were the Reach Rod Arm and the Reverse Arm.  These arms will go on the reverse shaft (just made) and translate the forward/backward motion from the reverse lever, to an up/down motion for the radius rods (which move up and down in the expansion links).

These arms are grouped together because they are very similar.  The main difference is that the Reach Rod Arm (of which there is only one) is shorter than the Reverse Arms (of which there are two).

I started with some 1/4" x 3/8” 1018 bar stock.  First, I shaved it down to 0.200” in thickness, taking a little off each side to reduce warping.  Then I sliced it into 3 parts for the 3 arms.

Next, I drilled the holes in the ends.  These define the arms.  I made one hole #49 (clearance for 1-72 screw) and the other 1/8”.  These will both be opened up and reamed as the last operation.  But for now I want these sizes to make monting it in a jig easier.

The bigger end has some additional holes.  First, it needs a 1/16” hole through it for an eventual pin which will lock the arm to the reverse rod.

Next, I put a 3-48 tapped hole in the end.  This is for a temporary set screw to help in setting the location and angle for the arms on the reverse shaft.

For this step I made a little jig that holds the arms at the appropriate angle for tapering the sides of the arms.  There are two different holes – one for the shorter Reach Rod Arm and one for the longer Reverse Arms. Using this jig I tapered one side of the arm:

Then I flipped the part over and tapered the other side of the arm.

For the final shaping I used filing buttons to round off the ends.

Finally, I cut the slit in the small end to accept the mating part it will be moving.  These cuts need a little additional clearance so Kozo has you cut the slit at an angle (different angle for the two different types of arms).  The Reach Rod arm shows an angle of 60o.  I used angle blocks to set this.  It’s hard to stack up multiple angle blocks like this – they always slide around.  So I used a thin strip of double-sided tape to hold them together during setup.  Now, the angle I made here was actually 64o.  The additional 4o makes up for the slope of the side.

I removed the angle block stack once the vice was tightened down. The little strips of brass are just spacers to prevent the angle blocks from being the things that get clamped.  The angle blocks are 1/4" wide and the part itself is only 0.200” wide.  With the packing it makes the part wider than the angle blocks so I’m getting the clamping force where I want it (and it allows me to slide the angle blocks out of the way during machining).

Finally, I reamed the holes to 5/32” and 5/64”, respectively.  And here are the completed arms.  The longer two are the Reverse Arms and the shorter one is the Reach Rod Arm.

Just a few more parts to go to complete the reversing assembly.
Kim

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #1648 on: May 13, 2022, 10:24:34 PM »
More great parts....    :cheers:    :popcorn:

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #1649 on: May 13, 2022, 10:36:12 PM »
 :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal