Author Topic: 1898 Automobile A.K.A. horseless carriage  (Read 65852 times)

Offline JC54

• Grantham, Lincolnshire, UK
Re: 1898 Automobile A.K.A. horseless carriage
« Reply #60 on: September 13, 2018, 03:57:57 PM »
Pic 2
When the Fun Stops,, Stop!

Offline JC54

« Reply #61 on: September 13, 2018, 04:02:36 PM »
Sorry about this, it appears my photos are too big for one post, in future will work out how to shrink them... :noidea: :atcomputer:

Offline Ye-Ole Steam Dude

• Deep East Texas on Sam Rayburn Lake
« Reply #62 on: September 13, 2018, 06:50:38 PM »
Hopefully here are the photos that I promised. The first one is vehicle as it arrived off an American aircraft carrier!!! Second pic is in it's first road legal state as a display vehicle at a local steam rally. Third pic is how far I got with rebuild 5 years ago. Not touched since due to the wife and my health problems.

Hello John,

Really cool looking with the display of you engines. Surely would be nice to have it finished.

Thanks for sharing and have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

Offline JC54

« Reply #63 on: September 13, 2018, 08:18:13 PM »
Thank you for the comments Thomas. Yes I would like to see it finished but it will have to be by somebody else if they want to make an offer and take it on.  Ultimately it will only end up in the scrapyard. Kids aren't interested and not at all mechanically minded.    John  :'( :DrinkPint:

« Reply #64 on: September 13, 2018, 09:02:11 PM »
Making good progress there, Thomas!

So, what's the trade-offs between plasma vs. water-jet cutting? Why might one prefer one over the other?  I know nothing about these things.

Kim

Hello Kim my second reply,

I attached a photo of some 3/16 plate cut by waterjet, note the almost perfect edge.

Next to this is a ½ plate cut by plasma, note the rough edge, holes not round, and the center cutout is not square.

Not all plasma cutting turns out this way, but this is so poorly done I am going to have it waterjetted by another company.

This will delay me for probably another week but I just cannot use the plasma cut pieces.

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

Offline Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #65 on: September 13, 2018, 10:01:31 PM »
That's too bad, Thomas :(

Looks like they may need to sharpen their plasma cutter!  :ROFL:

What causes the difference?  The plasma heats it up and melts things making them less precise because it flows a little?

Kim

« Reply #66 on: September 13, 2018, 10:19:20 PM »
That's too bad, Thomas :(

Looks like they may need to sharpen their plasma cutter!  :ROFL:

What causes the difference?  The plasma heats it up and melts things making them less precise because it flows a little?

Kim

Hey again Kim,

Yes plasma is heat and it creates a lot of heat in the metal that is being cut. However, the operator should make adjustments to the machine depending on the material and thickness. They ( the company that did this work for me ) had just cut some 3/16 mild steel plate and it turned out OK. It is obvious they did not re-adjust the heat range and air pressure when the 1/2 was cut. They are good people over there so I am not too upset. Really it's my fault, I knew better and should have had all of it waterjetted to start with.

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #67 on: September 14, 2018, 03:28:56 AM »
The plasma cut piece looks, to me, like a piece that would have a piece of tubing run through it and welded. If my assumption is correct, I'm wondering just how close of a fit it needs. There may be more to this than what I'm seeing.

I'm enjoying this build thread.  :ThumbsUp:

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

« Reply #68 on: September 14, 2018, 07:50:47 AM »
The plasma cut piece looks, to me, like a piece that would have a piece of tubing run through it and welded. If my assumption is correct, I'm wondering just how close of a fit it needs. There may be more to this than what I'm seeing.

I'm enjoying this build thread.  :ThumbsUp:

Jim

Hello Jim,

You are correct, there are four of these "bearing flanges" and they do weld to the ends of square tube to make the Axle Housings. They need to be within a 1/16-inch or less accuracy to properly align the Square Tube with the 4-bolt Bearing. The bolt holes in the Bearings are .46" diameter and I will use 3/8" bolts to secure the Bearing to the plate. Each Axle Housing will be aligned as near perfect as I can get them to the flanges before welding them in place. Flange to Tube alignment will be on the "X" and "Z" axis before welding. Final adjustment to the actual Axle will be made with the Bearings when bolted to the Flanges.

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

Offline Ian S C

• Stirling Engine Maker Darfield Canterbury N Z
« Reply #69 on: September 14, 2018, 02:34:06 PM »
In my last job we built a machine for feeding out hay for animals (sheep cows etc). Sprockets, a ratchet, and a few other bits were Plasma cut, or at one time oxy gas cut, then cleaned up with the angle grinder. The bits that fitted on shafts had a 30 mm hole, and I used to take them home and bore them to 35 mm, the shaft size we used. We finished building them about 2yrs ago, about a month ago one of the first machines (20 yr old) came in for repair, the gas cut sprockets were all OK. Some of the rest of it was a bit rough, but sitting outside for 20yrs, and being dragged around paddocks once a day during the winter feed out season, not too bad.
Here's a new one.
Ian S C

« Reply #70 on: September 14, 2018, 04:51:16 PM »
Hello Ian,

Very cool looking machine. I just spent the last hour re-boring all the holes on the 3/16" plate that was plasma cut....boy what a job. The jagged edge would catch the point opening (flute) on the drill bit and cause all kinds of chatter. Had to go real slow to keep from breaking the bit. The plasma cutting hardens the metal and makes it even more difficult to drill.

I did place the order for the 4 Axle Flanges to be waterjetted with a company in Houston, that is the good news. The bad news it will take at least 10-days.

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

« Reply #71 on: September 14, 2018, 08:42:37 PM »
Hello everyone,

Got a lot of work completed today. Made the Bushing Holders and installed them in the Down Legs on the Engine Frame. I will machine some brass bushings to go inside these Holders. So pleased that after all the welding and fabrication on the Engine Frame that the Bushing Holders aligned almost perfect with each other. I slipped a piece of pipe temporarily into the Holders to confirm the alignment. Used a lot of clamps, spacers and the electric crane to align the Engine Frame on the Chassis. Once I get everything in perfect alignment and clamped down real good, I can start to tack weld the Hanger Brackets to the Chassis. Last photo is a close up of the Hanger Brackets with the Down Leg temporarily bolted in place. I am quitting a bit early today because I want to get a fresh look and double check everything in the morning before any welding. This alignment must be perfect to allow the Engine Frame and Rear Axle assembly to run straight and true.

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #72 on: September 14, 2018, 09:31:52 PM »
Quite good progress!  I keep forgetting its full size, keep expecting to see the frame clamped in the mill.

:popcorn:

« Reply #73 on: September 14, 2018, 10:18:49 PM »
Quite good progress!  I keep forgetting its full size, keep expecting to see the frame clamped in the mill.

Hello Chris,

Remember, it is only slightly larger than your project! :shrug:

Really pleased with the work today.

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #74 on: September 14, 2018, 10:22:29 PM »

Hello Chris,

Remember, it is only slightly larger than your project! :shrug:

Really pleased with the work today.

Have a great day,
Thomas
Admit it, you just got tired of the shop elves having all the fun in the models!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal