Engines > From Kits/Castings

PM Research Engine Number 1

<< < (2/71) > >>

propforward:
That is solid advice, and it holds true on bar stock components too. I'm going to force myself to take that approach on this build.

That steam chest cover will benefit from some more attention yet. The rough corners are really bugging me, where there wasn't enough stock to clean up when machining the edges - plus the "recess" is just ugly. The casting used to have letters cast in it, which looked great, but the mould must have been changed or it's become beaten up over time. I had hoped to get nice clean boss surfaces on the top plate - but again not enough stock.

So, I may go back and clean the surface around the perimeter, and possibly even in the recess. But for now I want to concentrate on dimensional accuracy and fit. So I'll clean the rough casting corners by hand, get the backside polished on a surface plate and get everything deburred, and move on.

gary.a.ayres:

--- Quote from: propforward on August 26, 2018, 06:53:54 PM ---a journey of 1000 mile starts with a single step,

--- End quote ---

So true! Love it...

Will be interested to see this develop.

gary

b.lindsey:
Any progress on the #1 Stuart? No rush and I know you have had other things to do also. I can relate to that as I haven't posting anything on the #5 or the Little Pearl in ages. Sometimes the diversions are good :)

Bill

propforward:
Thanks for checking in! No new parts yet - the last few weeks have focused on getting the lathe straight. Today I finished up mounting the new 4 jaw chuck, and sorted out my crappy old coolant dispenser with a new one, as well as miscellaneous other shop organization tasks.

With all that done, I picked up the plans and castings, intent on making a part - but realized that I have not yet made any work plans for any parts. I really want to take a disciplined approach to planning how I make each part this time, so the drawings will go to work with me so that I can make some run cards at lunchtimes. That probably means two weeks before I can cut more metal, since next weekend I have other plans, but it means I'll hit the ground running come the next shop session.

gary.a.ayres:
Your patient, methodical approach will bear fruit in due course - you can be sure of it.

gary

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version