Author Topic: GDB Inline 4 Cylinder OHV I.C.  (Read 34078 times)

Offline 90LX_Notch

• North Eastern Pennsylvania USA
    • YouTube Channel
Re: GDB Inline 4 Cylinder OHV I.C.
« Reply #165 on: September 01, 2021, 11:17:37 PM »
Roger and Mike thank you both for your continued support.

Unfortunately, I was unable to get into the shop this weekend; therefore, I have nothing to post.

-Bob
Proud Member of MEM

My Engine Videos on YouTube-
http://www.youtube.com/user/Notch90usa/videos

Offline 90LX_Notch

• YouTube Channel
« Reply #166 on: September 21, 2021, 11:11:30 PM »
Block continued-

An arbor was machined to accept the rough sleeves. The sleeves were then a simple turning job. Note, the bore is not to finished size.  This will be done later in the lathe.

The plate was removed and high temp RTV was lightly dabbed around the block’s top surface.  The plate was then reassembled and any RTV that oozed out along the outside of the block was wiped clean.  I was pleased with result of the seal created along the inside of the water jacket (photo 5).

The sleeves were then coated with Ford Teflon Assembly Paste and pressed into the block.

This was a bitter sweet moment.  My best machine work is now entombed within the block, never to be seen again.

-Bob
Proud Member of MEM

Offline RReid

• Northern California
« Reply #167 on: September 22, 2021, 12:33:36 AM »
At least those are some good pictures for posterity of your never-to-be-seen-again machining. Beautiful work! :ThumbsUp:
Regards,
Ron

Online steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #168 on: September 22, 2021, 12:47:46 AM »
There were pictures!!!! It happened....and it happened with a 608!..... :cheers:

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline 90LX_Notch

• YouTube Channel
« Reply #169 on: September 23, 2021, 10:25:02 AM »
Thank you Ron and Dave for your continued support.  Hopefully I can get some momentum going and knockout some more parts.

-Bob
Proud Member of MEM

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #170 on: September 23, 2021, 11:10:50 PM »
Awwww more progress kept it coming Bob! …. :Love:

:cheers:
Don

Offline 90LX_Notch

• YouTube Channel
« Reply #171 on: October 03, 2021, 05:48:51 PM »
Thanks Don.  Happy to see you checking in.

Progress Report-

Last week I decided to start on the head.   In the process of squaring the material, a sliver of cast iron went into my left eye.  I can usually get foreign objects out of my eye easily; this however, took a few hours and needless to say “killed” any productive shop time.  Luckily my eye is fine and I am working on the head today. 

I will try to post how today goes later.

-Bob
Proud Member of MEM

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #172 on: October 03, 2021, 07:57:22 PM »
Glad you got it out safely - that can be really nasty!   Though when I first saw the picture I thought THAT was the sliver...!

Offline Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #173 on: October 03, 2021, 11:37:11 PM »
Yes! Glad you got it out of your eye.  Did you have to go in somewhere to get some help?

I noticed that you've got your name stamped in that metal work area in that picture (toward the bottom).  Very personalized!   ;D

Kim

Offline 90LX_Notch

• YouTube Channel
« Reply #174 on: October 04, 2021, 10:54:05 PM »
Chris-
Lol.  That would have really hurt.  Thanks for dropping in.

Kim-
No, I considered going to the E.R. at one point but kept at and was able to remove it.  My eye was very irritated for quite awhile.  The stamping on my bench includes my wife’s name and the year we were married.  It was just something I did one day when I had the stamps out for something else.  Thanks for checking in.

Head-
The head is made from a block of cast iron.  The block was squared.  The side walls requires a 6.08* angle.  A parallel was clamped to the table, the sine bar was placed against it and indicated.  The head was then placed against the parallel and clamped to the table.  The parallel was then removed.

George drew the walls of the head without bottom radii.  After pushing myself with the engine block with blended radii I decided to add radii to the head.  A step was left for the radius to be cut.  A shop made single lip cutter was used to cut the bottom radius.  The cutter took me awhile to make.  I’ve had my single lip cutter grinder for close to a year now but haven’t it used it much.  The cutter is a 3/16 diameter with a 1/32 radius.

As stupid as it sounds, I had quite the feeling of satisfaction watching the radius form as the cutter machined away the cast iron.

-Bob

Proud Member of MEM

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #175 on: October 05, 2021, 01:32:11 AM »
Nice progress Bob!
I recently acquired a Deckel SO grinder and have been working through it. It is in pretty good shape but filthy and neglected. I'm just about finished with it, it will make a nice addition to my shop.

Dave 

Online steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #176 on: October 05, 2021, 02:18:32 AM »
Oh man!   Engage Safety Squints!

Sorry to hear that bud!   Glad it turned out OK.....tell me about that cute depth gage?....hmmmm? 8)
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline 90LX_Notch

• YouTube Channel
« Reply #177 on: October 05, 2021, 03:51:58 AM »
Dave O.- The single lip cutter grinder is a very handy addition.  The Chinese knock off of the SO doesn’t have a real .001 resolution vernier scale which makes putting an accurate radius on the tool a pain.

Dave P.- That gage is a Z axis setter that I cobbled together.  In the picture it is sitting on the head and a stack of gage blocks.  In the picture I am setting the radius cutter.  By doing this, the cutter is set to the plane of the step of the head that the gauge is sitting on.  I also used a gauge block stack that corresponded to the height of the step to keep the gauge from tipping and giving a bad setting. 

Thank you both for checking in.

-Bob
Proud Member of MEM

Offline gbritnell

« Reply #178 on: October 05, 2021, 12:16:32 PM »
Slow but surely Bob but it's coming along great!
Talent unshared is talent wasted.

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #179 on: October 05, 2021, 05:18:26 PM »
Looking good  :ThumbsUp:  :ThumbsUp:  :wine1:

You were luck with your eye. Many years ago I had been doing some grinding and was sweeping the bench off afterwards. By one of those chances a small piece of metal was flicked up by a bristle and went behind my normal glasses and into my eye  :( My wife was out somewhere, I didn't feel that I should drive, I would have had a long wait for a taxi and an ambulance seemed excessive (possibly not where eyesight is concerned  :headscratch: ). I got my most powerful magnet, put some clingfilm on it and stuck it in my eye. The chip came out without any damage  :)  :)
Best regards

Roger

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal