Author Topic: Workshop Log  (Read 25533 times)

Offline propforward

• MN, USA
Re: Workshop Log
« Reply #180 on: May 30, 2021, 02:09:39 PM »
As the actress said to the bishop. Badum tsh!

I am pleased with it. Lovely to machine - I think itís 303 stainless steel. The joy of sharp inserts, flood coolant and free machining material. Good use of a chunk that was partially machined from some other job.
Stuart

Offline gary.a.ayres

• British Isles & sometimes France
« Reply #181 on: May 30, 2021, 03:27:42 PM »
 :ThumbsUp:

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #182 on: June 26, 2021, 01:35:38 AM »
I like that chuck!     How's the run out?

Dave

"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline propforward

• MN, USA
« Reply #183 on: June 26, 2021, 05:31:26 PM »
That's a great question Dave.

I just did a test to find out. I wasn't overly concerned because the ER40 collet chuck I use is a "set true" - and I can adjust the run out on it, so I always figured I could just adjust that when using the little chuck and get it where it needs to be. However - inquiring minds want to know!

So I put a 1/2" gauge pin in my collet chuck and clocked the run out, which came in at about 2/10 of a thou TIR. Can't tell you how happy I was about that.

Then I installed the mini chuck in the collet, with the gauge pin in the chuck. Run out measures 0.007" TIR. Not so good.
Then I rotated the mini chuck 90 degrees in the collet and tried again, and it came in at 0.002" TIR. Still not great, but seems reasonable for an inexpensive 3 jaw. I might even be able to get it better by tweaking its rotation position some more in the collet chuck - I haven't tried very hard on that, but figure this is a pretty good demonstration. At this point I would be able to adjust the set true if necessary to get it closer.

Thanks for checking in! I haven't been working on my engine, but I'm making motorcycle accessories, so still very much enjoying my hobby machining, and still making improvements. My mild steel finishes today are really nice, I'm having a good time in the shed.  :ThumbsUp:
« Last Edit: June 27, 2021, 01:26:13 AM by propforward »
Stuart

Offline propforward

• MN, USA
« Reply #184 on: June 26, 2021, 05:42:28 PM »
Well I messed with a little more in the collet chuck, and got it to 0.0015 TIR - I actually think that's pretty decent.
Stuart

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #185 on: June 26, 2021, 05:55:33 PM »
Not bad at all for a 3 jaw!   

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline propforward

• MN, USA
« Reply #186 on: September 29, 2021, 01:35:50 AM »
I have not had much shed time over the last six weeks. It has been a hectic time, mostly good though. Anyway, managed to sell a sidecar that I shouldnít have bought in the first place, and used that money to buy a new welding table. I was originally going to design and build my own, but when I priced that all out, this purchased kit was cheaper, and while it is very light duty in real welding terms, itís going to be more than adequate for my hobbyist use. I have another, smaller but heavier duty table for beating the living daylights out of things. This one I like because itís covered in fixturing holes. I got a start on it at the weekend. Itís slow going because Iím very new to welding, but Iím making progress. One of our ASME pressure vessel welders at work has offered to come and give me some tips, so Iím excited about that. Anyway, here it is:

Got a ways to go yet, but I am very excited for the possibilities a new skill brings - albeit at a very novice level.

Stuart

Online cnr6400

« Reply #187 on: September 29, 2021, 02:13:37 AM »
That's a great looking welding table! I like it.  :cheers:   :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

And if your co-worker with the PV ticket comes by, it will probably hold 3000 psi!   :Lol:

Offline propforward

• MN, USA
« Reply #188 on: September 29, 2021, 02:23:54 AM »
Holy welding table Batman!

Sorry, couldnít help it.

It will be even better once itís up on its own legs.
Stuart

Offline Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #189 on: September 29, 2021, 05:54:55 AM »
That looks like it's going to be a really nice welding table!  Makes me want one...

Unfortunately, I have no room :(

Maybe someday.  I'm glad you've got one though!

Kim