Author Topic: Workshop Log  (Read 42290 times)

Offline propforward

• MN, USA
Re: Workshop Log
« Reply #180 on: May 30, 2021, 02:09:39 PM »
As the actress said to the bishop. Badum tsh!

I am pleased with it. Lovely to machine - I think it’s 303 stainless steel. The joy of sharp inserts, flood coolant and free machining material. Good use of a chunk that was partially machined from some other job.
Stuart

Forging ahead regardless.

Offline gary.a.ayres

• Isle of Skye & sometimes France
« Reply #181 on: May 30, 2021, 03:27:42 PM »
 :ThumbsUp:

Online steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #182 on: June 26, 2021, 01:35:38 AM »
I like that chuck!     How's the run out?

Dave

"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline propforward

• MN, USA
« Reply #183 on: June 26, 2021, 05:31:26 PM »
That's a great question Dave.

I just did a test to find out. I wasn't overly concerned because the ER40 collet chuck I use is a "set true" - and I can adjust the run out on it, so I always figured I could just adjust that when using the little chuck and get it where it needs to be. However - inquiring minds want to know!

So I put a 1/2" gauge pin in my collet chuck and clocked the run out, which came in at about 2/10 of a thou TIR. Can't tell you how happy I was about that.

Then I installed the mini chuck in the collet, with the gauge pin in the chuck. Run out measures 0.007" TIR. Not so good.
Then I rotated the mini chuck 90 degrees in the collet and tried again, and it came in at 0.002" TIR. Still not great, but seems reasonable for an inexpensive 3 jaw. I might even be able to get it better by tweaking its rotation position some more in the collet chuck - I haven't tried very hard on that, but figure this is a pretty good demonstration. At this point I would be able to adjust the set true if necessary to get it closer.

Thanks for checking in! I haven't been working on my engine, but I'm making motorcycle accessories, so still very much enjoying my hobby machining, and still making improvements. My mild steel finishes today are really nice, I'm having a good time in the shed.  :ThumbsUp:
« Last Edit: June 27, 2021, 01:26:13 AM by propforward »
Stuart

Offline propforward

• MN, USA
« Reply #184 on: June 26, 2021, 05:42:28 PM »
Well I messed with a little more in the collet chuck, and got it to 0.0015 TIR - I actually think that's pretty decent.
Stuart

Online steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #185 on: June 26, 2021, 05:55:33 PM »
Not bad at all for a 3 jaw!   

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline propforward

• MN, USA
« Reply #186 on: September 29, 2021, 01:35:50 AM »
I have not had much shed time over the last six weeks. It has been a hectic time, mostly good though. Anyway, managed to sell a sidecar that I shouldn’t have bought in the first place, and used that money to buy a new welding table. I was originally going to design and build my own, but when I priced that all out, this purchased kit was cheaper, and while it is very light duty in real welding terms, it’s going to be more than adequate for my hobbyist use. I have another, smaller but heavier duty table for beating the living daylights out of things. This one I like because it’s covered in fixturing holes. I got a start on it at the weekend. It’s slow going because I’m very new to welding, but I’m making progress. One of our ASME pressure vessel welders at work has offered to come and give me some tips, so I’m excited about that. Anyway, here it is:

Got a ways to go yet, but I am very excited for the possibilities a new skill brings - albeit at a very novice level.

Stuart

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #187 on: September 29, 2021, 02:13:37 AM »
That's a great looking welding table! I like it.  :cheers:   :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

And if your co-worker with the PV ticket comes by, it will probably hold 3000 psi!   :Lol:
"I've cut that stock three times, and it's still too short!"

Offline propforward

• MN, USA
« Reply #188 on: September 29, 2021, 02:23:54 AM »
Holy welding table Batman!

Sorry, couldn’t help it.

It will be even better once it’s up on its own legs.
Stuart

Offline Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #189 on: September 29, 2021, 05:54:55 AM »
That looks like it's going to be a really nice welding table!  Makes me want one...

Unfortunately, I have no room :(

Maybe someday.  I'm glad you've got one though!

Kim

Offline propforward

• MN, USA
« Reply #190 on: January 08, 2022, 12:11:34 PM »
Brrrrrrr. It's that time of the year.

Once inside though, it's always toasty warm, and fun awaits!

This is the welding / cutting / grinding bay. The welding curtain is more about preventing migration of dust to the motorcycle area. It actually works well.

And then through the double doors into the machine tool area. Used to be a motorcycle maintenance area as well, but I'm done with motorbikes now, except for my one sidecar outfit. I had 14 bikes at one time, but I've lost interest since I was in a bad accident.

I got my welding table finished a while ago, and it's very nice, although it is not flat. I must have put too much heat into it. I'm going to attempt to flatten it by heating the stiffening ribs on the underside - a trick the welders at work told me about.

Stuart

Online Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #191 on: January 08, 2022, 07:22:50 PM »
Nice shop Stuart!

Dave

Offline Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #192 on: January 08, 2022, 07:30:19 PM »
Beautiful shop!  Nice that you can keep it cozy warm too!  Makes it more inviting, as you say :)

Kim

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #193 on: January 08, 2022, 09:12:46 PM »
Wonderful  :)  :) So much space  :ThumbsUp:  :ThumbsUp:
Best regards

Roger

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #194 on: January 08, 2022, 10:08:13 PM »
New tools! A shiny tappy hammer.

And some inserts to try. Thought these would fit on my existing tooling, but made an error there, so new holders arriving tomorrow. I'm interested to see how these do on carbon steel. There are some different designs here, with different PVD coatings. Allegedly good for steel medium and fine finishes. Also got a couple of non ferrous inserts. Anyway - some fun and learning to be had.

I like the new hammer and has it just been cast ?? a few hours time and it will be cool enough to hold .?!!! :lolb: :lolb: :lolb:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal