Author Topic: Model Builders Vise from Morrison & Marvin Castings  (Read 7972 times)

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
Re: Model Builders Vise from Morrison & Marvin Castings
« Reply #30 on: June 21, 2020, 11:47:12 PM »
Kim, Colin, & Mike thank you for the nice comments.

Mike, I can't use it, it has a special drawer in one of the Gerstner tool chests along with his little Kurt friends. I remember taking it to the GEARS shows and was completely paranoid having it sit out on the display table. Everyone wants to pick it up and fondle it; I was so worried that someone would drop it in their pocket and walk off with it. I remember one time there was a guy looking at it, for a good half hour; I never took my eyes off it. The shows in the US don't have the alarm cables like you guys do, and I know of a couple small very nice items that have grown legs and walked off.

Dave

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2020, 12:41:08 AM »
Awww a man and his tools just down right peachy Dave. Always beautiful work on a clean machine you just got to love it........ :Love:

:cheers:
Don

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2020, 01:15:00 AM »
Thanks Don!

I sure miss seeing your projects, hopefully one of these days you will get going on something that you can share with us.

Take care,
Dave

Offline Bobsmodels

« Reply #33 on: June 22, 2020, 07:10:37 PM »
Dave

Been following along here too.   Wow very nice job.  Hmm maybe another project !!!  Well someday.

Bob

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #34 on: June 22, 2020, 07:37:07 PM »
Thanks Bob.

You should at least have a set of castings ageing in the cupboard, they don't take up much room. :lolb:

Dave

Offline Jack

« Reply #35 on: June 22, 2020, 08:15:42 PM »
Hi Dave

Concerning cutting the jaws with a 90 degree carbide countersink. Will a 90 degree carbide sporting drill do the same thing? The plans call for a .043 Pitch my question is? would I make a cut .020 deep and then move over .086 and repeat until the end of the jaw OR do I index .043 for each cut.
Excuse my ignorance on this but I am confused.

Thanks
Jack

Offline Jack

« Reply #36 on: June 22, 2020, 10:50:57 PM »
Hi Everyone

I answered my own question after setting up the Kurt to 30 degrees I made the first cut and then indexed over .043 according to the DRO made another cut and It looked about right so I continued until the end. Repositioned my Kurt to 30 degrees the other way and continued to make cuts like before.  I might have gone a wee bit deeper but I didn't want to make a major screw up.
It looks like vise jaws to me.

Thanks

Jack
« Last Edit: June 23, 2020, 02:33:57 AM by Jack »

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #37 on: June 23, 2020, 12:11:50 AM »
Sounds good Jack

I just got home from work and checked one of my jaw plates on my optical comparator, I come up with .05" pitch. I did the CAD model and drawings long after I built my vise, so I'm guessing that I just came up with something that looked correct on the model. The depth on mine is .02" and the cutter left a slight radius in the bottom of the valley. The MA Ford counter sinks usually come to a pretty sharp point and that is why I chose that tool. The spot drill may work you will just have to try and see.

Dave

Offline Jack

« Reply #38 on: June 23, 2020, 02:43:57 AM »
Hi Everyone

The cutting of the vise jaws went pretty well, at least I am Happy with them. This is what I have finished so far. My new 5/8" reamer came today so tomorrow I may get to to cut the 5/8" bore of the fixed jaw but I have to baby sit my girlfriend for a few hours while she recovers from Knee replacement.

Thanks for looking

Jack

Offline Bobsmodels

« Reply #39 on: June 23, 2020, 02:25:20 PM »
Dave

There is a set getting nice and aged.  They are on the aging shelf(s) with many more.  Never could turn down a set of castings.

Bob

Offline nj111

« Reply #40 on: June 23, 2020, 05:42:03 PM »
Somehow I missed this thread until now. Absolutely love these little vices and the quality of workmanship shown here makes them even more desirable! One day I'll order the castings!
Nick

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal