Author Topic: Morton M5  (Read 7236 times)

Offline gbritnell

Re: Morton M5
« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2021, 02:32:00 PM »
The next step was to thread the cylinders. Trying to chase the threads on the lathe up to a shoulder is a little tenuous so I used a method that someone had shown me many years ago. This was done on my small 6 inch Craftsman/Atlas lathe but could be used on larger machines. I made a crank handle with a threaded rod that inserts into the lathe spindle from the rear. On the end is a long aluminum bushing that has been split at 30 degrees. By tightening the nut the handle end it draws the aluminum bushing together and it wedges against the inside of the spindle. The lathe is set of the appropriate thread, in this case is was 40 TPI. The feed lever is engaged and the spindle is cranked by hand thus allowing the threading tool to come right up against the shoulder. A fixture was made to hold the cylinders concentric and they were all threaded. 
Talent unshared is talent wasted.

Offline gbritnell

« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2021, 02:39:26 PM »
The heads were turned and cylindrical fins added then they were threaded with an internal tool by the same method as the cylinders.

Offline gbritnell

« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2021, 02:40:25 PM »
The seal between the cylinder and the head is by a thin copper washer. This will be explained further on.

Offline tvoght

• Indiana
« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2021, 05:24:39 PM »
George, It's great to see this after buying the drawings from you the other day. I can follow along. I had found your build on the other site, but it's good to see this here. Like I told you, it's not likely that I would undertake this project (certainly not in the near term), but I can build vicariously through you.,,--Tim

Online Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #34 on: June 25, 2021, 06:41:12 PM »
Splendid fabrication as ever  :praise2:  :praise2:  :wine1:
Best regards

Roger

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #35 on: June 26, 2021, 12:05:34 AM »
Always a pleasure to watch you whittle George!    :popcorn:

As I remember there was a lot of complex geometry on that model, seems you've sorted that out.

Watching along!

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline gbritnell

« Reply #36 on: June 26, 2021, 04:06:34 PM »
The rear crankcase cover took the most sculpting. I started with a block of aluminum and set it up in the 4 jaw chuck and drilled and bored the inside cavity. I then made a threaded plug to mount it on and cut the back outside creating a radius on the boss. From there it went back in the mill for holes and gear pockets. The gear pockets are for the gears to drive the oil pump. 

Offline gbritnell

« Reply #37 on: June 26, 2021, 05:05:16 PM »
From the lathe the part went into the dividing head on the mill. Holes were drilled and shapes were stepped off.

Offline gbritnell

« Reply #38 on: June 26, 2021, 05:08:17 PM »
This is what the part looked like prior to filing and polishing.

Offline petertha

« Reply #39 on: June 26, 2021, 06:21:20 PM »
Beautiful work, George.

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #40 on: June 27, 2021, 03:16:09 AM »
George,
It's great to see this, as I have only seen the finished engine.
Art
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

Offline gbritnell

« Reply #41 on: June 28, 2021, 03:22:14 PM »
The last piece of the crankcase assembly was the rear housing. As I had mentioned my redesign included an oil pump and the distributor was relocated from horizontal to a vertical position.
I started with a block of aluminum in the lathe and cut the small step which locates into the rear crankcase housing. The part was then put on the mill and the pockets for the gears train were machined in. Once that was finished the block was blued up and the shapes were laid out as a guide to machining the shapes.

Offline gbritnell

« Reply #42 on: June 28, 2021, 03:29:38 PM »
Along with stepping off the radial shapes I used plugs to indicate to set up for cutting the angled surfaces. The part was then moved to the rotary table to finish the outside diameter.

Offline gbritnell

« Reply #43 on: June 28, 2021, 03:33:36 PM »
The following pictures are of the part prior to hand finishing all the surfaces.

Offline gbritnell

« Reply #44 on: June 28, 2021, 03:37:06 PM »
The final pictures of the posting are of the finished crankcase, filed, polished and assembled.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal