Author Topic: Newbie building a PMR 6CI  (Read 16821 times)

Offline vdubjunkie

Re: Newbie building a PMR 6CI
« Reply #90 on: February 03, 2019, 10:20:18 PM »
Hey, that's a great idea.  I've heard of people using JB Weld for all sorts of things.  I imagine it will get out of my way well for the bit of threads that will be cut into that area.   
:cheers:

Also, on a side note, I'm getting really far along on my metal prep to paint my Atlas 7" Shaper I'm restoring.  I have never done much with paint, and what I've done has generally turned out less than great.  I'm just going to take my time, and be willing to redo as much as it takes to turn out right.

“It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends on his not understanding it.” - Upton Sinclair

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #91 on: February 03, 2019, 10:27:49 PM »
Great to see this progress and I can feel your excitement from your post. You will have a runner soon and the excitement grows from there.

Bill

Offline bwal

« Reply #92 on: February 09, 2019, 10:35:36 AM »
Nice going so far. 

Any pictures of the shaper? I had to sell my Douglas Shaper due to spacing issues and now regret it.

Ben

Offline vdubjunkie

« Reply #93 on: March 23, 2019, 02:59:39 PM »
bwal,

Terribly sorry about the delay.  I've been all over the place, and my "feverish pace" diminished after not meeting the New Year's goal.  Do I have pictures?!  How about way too many?

Actually, I've been looking for a place to post them, but I don't think there is an appropriate place on here, and I think it would be white noise on practicalmachinist.com.  Any ideas?

Until then, here are a few pics..

This is how she looked when I brought her home.  It was literally rusted immobile.  The ram would not slide, and I couldn't get anything to rotate.

I've seen people squirt solvent, and force machines back into operation, but I knew right away I wouldn't be comfortable with this.  So, I began tearing it down.

Here's a nice trick I came up with knowing I definitely did not have a tool made to remove this part.

My tiny workspace quickly became overloaded.  You can see the ram in the background, and the guts of the machine strewn across the front of the bench.

Pretty early on I had to decide whether this would be a functional restoration, or if I was going full on.  I think you can guess which one I chose.  Not only am I chasing all threads, but removing badges, etc.

Look at that ram.  It's really coming along.  I've got a couple of screws to extract, and one or two badge securing pins as well.  But, I'm just about ready for paint on darned near all of the parts.

I've also got a maroon scotch brite wheel coming to "buff" all of my screws, rods, etc.

« Last Edit: March 23, 2019, 03:03:39 PM by vdubjunkie »
“It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends on his not understanding it.” - Upton Sinclair

Offline vdubjunkie

« Reply #94 on: March 23, 2019, 03:08:31 PM »
Lookin' good! That half hole on the base? JB Weld. The bottom is on the bottom and the top is covered by the mating part. Degrease and fill 'er up!

Pete

That's a great idea Pete.  I think I'm going to try to get some JB Weld today.  I've managed to get my milling machine to work well enough to scrape down my plugs to within about .0005" of the surface.  I'll put in some JB Weld, let it cure, and maybe take a file, and finish it off.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #95 on: March 23, 2019, 04:46:51 PM »
That shaper is going to be a beauty once you are done!
 :popcorn: :popcorn:

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #96 on: March 23, 2019, 09:05:19 PM »
Nice little shaper and looking better already. If you want to document the restoration I would suggest themachines and tooling sub fora.  Let me know if you wish and I can move the posts about it there for you.

Bill

Offline vdubjunkie

« Reply #97 on: March 24, 2019, 12:54:25 AM »
That shaper is going to be a beauty once you are done!
 :popcorn: :popcorn:

I really appreciate the support.  Everybody has been so supportive and helpful.  This is why I wanted to post my shaper restoration here.  You guys have one of the best groups of people I've found!

I started a thread on my restoration here.
http://www.modelenginemaker.com/index.php?topic=8957

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal