Author Topic: Hello, Another new fella from Indiana  (Read 2326 times)

Offline Doug Doty

Hello, Another new fella from Indiana
« on: April 22, 2018, 03:12:52 AM »
53 and still loving working with my hands. Built small boats, race cars, 4x4 trucks, Jeeps and airplanes over the years. Just got back home to Madison In. from a 2 day trip up to the Wyndott Mi. to take in the N.A.M.E.S  Show there this weekend.  Wow !! , a lot of talent and such good friendly people there. I am building my first little oscillator air motor and about done less the piston / rod so those guys at the show wow'ed me for sure.

I am getting older heavier and stiffer, so crawling around, on, under, and inside projects is about over for me, but still love spending time in the shop. My shop has been more fabricating oriented over the years but I do have a few good pieces to work with for model engine machining.

Got a Bridgeport variable mill with power x and dro that I just got recently.  A grizzly G4003G lathe I have had about 10 years. Having these two pieces together has caused my interest in actual machining to explode.  Also a 50 ton Scotchman iron Worker, a Wilton horz. cut of band saw and Wilton Vert belt sander. A lincoln 110v sp100 mig that I got new over 30 years ago as a kid, a 250 amp Miller mig and my pride and joy and Miller Dynasty 300dx water cooled tig machine.

As tedious as these little model engines look to be, my mindset abilities and building desires are seeming to aligning with them pretty well looking forward.  I got a 1915 7hp Hercules hit and miss and a couple other old engines as well that seems to have lead me in this direction. 

I will post a pic of my 1st. oscillator project as soon as I figure out how back here.

Thanks for having me , Doug Doty, Madsion In.
Just 1 wobbler so far to help pick up my milling skills.

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
Re: Hello, Another new fella from Indiana
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2018, 05:31:27 AM »
Hi there Doug,
Welcome to the forum!

Sounds like you've got a pretty well equipped shop, and some great projects going.
Looking forward to seeing the pictures.

Did you meet any of the members of this forum while you were at NAMES?  Several of them were going I believe.
Kim

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2018, 11:58:31 AM »
Hi and welcome Doug. You will find as many if not more varied interests here among the members but the one thing that brings us all together is the love of model engines in all their forms. Great to have you.

Bill
« Last Edit: April 22, 2018, 12:40:04 PM by b.lindsey »

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2018, 12:34:49 PM »
:hi: Doug,

sounds like you have a nice workshop set up there  :)

Looking forward to seeing your little oscillator  8)

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2018, 04:02:23 PM »
Welcome to MEM Doug!

Dave

Offline 90LX_Notch

• North Eastern Pennsylvania USA
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2018, 04:26:56 PM »
Welcome Doug.  I am around the same age as you and use to drag race a Mustang.  This hobby isn't as tedious as you would think.  There are a lot of satisfactions in making all the required parts and having an engine run.  The adrenaline rush isn't there like racing; but, extreme joy and a sense of accomplishment are.

-Bob
Proud Member of MEM

My Engine Videos on YouTube-
http://www.youtube.com/user/Notch90usa/videos

Offline Doug Doty

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2021, 04:27:50 AM »
Better late than never !! 3 years on a Wobbler is a bit much though.  In all honesty I just forgot to come back here :) I was done a day or 3 after my first post. I got side tracked with other hobbies but I am back now and real fired up to build something more serious in the model engine world. here is my little motor I talked about on day one of this thread back in 18'   <a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9A1tPX-e4iw" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9A1tPX-e4iw</a>

planning to be at the model engine show over in Ohio in the weekend of Sept. 26 to look around and make up my mind of what is next. i got one in mind but ashamed to say until I decide. it really would be taking on a lot. more later...
Just 1 wobbler so far to help pick up my milling skills.

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2021, 05:02:18 AM »
Well done! That looks like a happy little engine! :)

Looking forward to what your next project will be.

Kim

Online Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2021, 06:59:17 PM »
Welcome back on the Forum  :ThumbsUp: Nicely done  :praise2:
Best regards

Roger

Offline propforward

• MN, USA
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2021, 07:00:45 PM »
Great result Doug! Nice running engine there.
Stuart

Forging ahead regardless.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal