Author Topic: 10% sales tax and now this...  (Read 7547 times)

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
    • SOFTWARE FOR PEOPLE WHO BUILD THINGS!
10% sales tax and now this...
« on: October 06, 2012, 09:05:08 PM »
Yes, everything (and everyone) is higher in California.  We now have the dubious distinction of having the highest gas prices in the nation...

http://tinyurl.com/8m6y84k

I know our European and Australian members would probably kill for prices that low but for us it's a real kick in the ...

The only thing good about it is the fact that it might keep some of the yuppie trucks (SUVs) off the road for a while.

Ah well, could be worse.  I could be living in Taxachusetts.
Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware
https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Offline AussieJimG

• Rest In Peace
  • Bywong, NSW, Australia
Re: 10% sales tax and now this...
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2012, 09:22:23 PM »
That terrible Marv, I really feel for you. :stir:

If it goes any higher, it won't be worth importing at USPS prices.

Jim

fcheslop

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2012, 09:54:43 PM »
Bargan fill it up while you can :stir: try ?1.34per litre

Offline Raggle

• Newtown, Montgomery, Powys mid-Wales
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2012, 10:01:08 PM »
But you still have all that free sunshine for your solar PV installations  -  here in UK we had all ours stolen this "summer"

Ray
All we're trying to do is combine a fuel and an oxidant in the combustion chamber and burn it in the hope of getting some useful thrust out of the back end. It's not rocket science.

Bogstandard

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2012, 10:33:37 PM »
Marv,

I noticed on that article that the prices do eventually fall to somewhat lower figures, depending on the cost of crude.

Here in the UK, that very rarely happens, it just keeps going up whenever someone adds a bit more tax or wants to screw us for more money.

They don't call the UK 'treasure island' for nothing, no wonder US businesses are buying up all our companies, they can make greater profits over here, knowing we can do nothing about it when they hike up prices.

John

Offline Maryak

• Rest In Peace
  • Aldinga Beach South Australia
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2012, 11:47:26 PM »
yuppie trucks (SUVs)

Just to add to the above, here they are known as Toorak Taxis or Mums with Muscle.

Toorak is a posh Melbourne suburb and it's all about ferrying the yuppy puppies around.

Best Regards
Bob

PS in South Oz, we have the highest electricity prices and the highest water prices 31c/kWh and $3.10/kl. Our state government just spent  1.8 Billion on a desal plant which has never worked, never performed to spec and now they are mothballing it to "SAVE MONEY."

$US4.61/USG = $AU1.20/litre, no where near the difference it used to be, we average $AU1.40/litre
« Last Edit: October 07, 2012, 02:05:41 AM by Maryak »
Если вы у Тетушки были яйца, она была бы Дядюшкой

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2012, 01:14:19 AM »
Here is Taxachusetts it's about $3.87/gallon.....and I drive a 4x4....but I use it...for real.
I hear carmageddon is coming again Marv....get the mixer fired up!

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline Pete49

• top of the gulf SA, Gateway to the Flinders Ranges
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2012, 03:50:46 AM »
I could understand the 10% tax etc if California or the USA had a pension and hospital system as in Australia as in the end it has to be paid for but in your case Marv I can see why you are angry.
Pete
I used to have a friend.....but the rope broke and he ran away :(....Good news everybody I have another friend...I used chain this time :)

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2012, 08:31:37 AM »
But you still have all that free sunshine for your solar PV installations  -  here in UK we had all ours stolen this "summer"

Ray

Hey, if my ?2K feed in tariff they paid for me for my solar generation this year was poor, bring on a sunny year 8)

However Diesel is now ?1.44 a litre down south, if I could find it at ?1.34 I would be very happy. What does annoy me is how the government charges VAT on their fuel duty.  :Mad:

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline tel

• Bathurst District, NSW, Oz.
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2012, 09:24:23 AM »
I'm not even gonna comment! $20 to fill a 10 litre container for the mowers here today. :(
The older I get, the better I was.
Lacerta es reptiles quisnam mos non exsisto accuso nusquam

Offline Raggle

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2012, 01:00:40 PM »
Hey, if my ?2K feed in tariff they paid for me for my solar generation this year was poor, bring on a sunny year

Indeed, Jo  -  Ours hasn't been quite as much as that but the 2700 Kw/hrs we generated for the first full year (autumn equinox to the next) has certainly been sufficient to cover our gas consumption as well. I don't expect to lose my ?200 a year senior citizens' heating grant as a result.

Our south facing roof was a perfect candidate and the ?12k was doing badly just sitting in the bank. But I always felt this subsidy was going to be paid by consumers, still of working age, who were not so well blessed.

But of course, living in Mid Wales, I am confident all will be well when we've covered this area with wind farms and pylons.  >:D  ... and talking of subsidies ...

Ray
All we're trying to do is combine a fuel and an oxidant in the combustion chamber and burn it in the hope of getting some useful thrust out of the back end. It's not rocket science.

Offline Raggle

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2012, 01:12:48 PM »
I couldn't find a way to link to the report itself as it came up as a .pdf only, but this page tells all

http://junkscience.com/2012/03/06/new-report-economic-analysis-reveals-wind-power-worse-than-a-mistake/

Hell in a handcart, I tell ye

Ray

Offline ScroungerLee

• Southwest Connecticut, US, North America, Earth
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2012, 02:28:10 PM »
When I had my Ford F250 I used for work it had twin gas tanks. Just over 20 gallons each iirc.  That would make it around $160 to fill up at these prices.  Glad I got rid of the truck once I stopped my mobile auto repair business.  It got 8 mpg highway, and just about 0 mpg snow plowing.

To put it another way, I could fill both tanks or else buy one of those 4x6 horizontal band saws on sale.

Lee

Mmmmm.... Shiny!

fcheslop

« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2012, 04:00:47 PM »
Hi Lee, I know that feeling only too well its costing me ?300 plus a week for derv over here and crippling me into the bargain and most of it tax :Mad:

Offline Captain Jerry

• Summerfield, FL USA
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2012, 11:30:42 PM »
When I was a kid in my '50 Merc V8 Flathead, I could just barely get $5 worth of gas in the tank.  It would be a lot easier to do that today.  On the other hand, the $5 was damned hard to come by.
NOTARY SOJAK

There are things that you can do and some things you can't do. Don't worry about it. try it anyway.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal