Author Topic: Two Cylinder Engine  (Read 71940 times)

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
Re: Two Cylinder Engine
« Reply #300 on: March 03, 2021, 08:08:48 PM »
Next the inlet port was drilled and the location flat was milled, same vice different machines. I then checked the bore. The 1.96mm pin gauge just passed through and the 1.97 gauge would not enter from either end, much as before. Finally I drilled and tapped the locating screw hole and the inlet union holes in the body.
Best regards

Roger

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #301 on: March 04, 2021, 11:49:36 AM »
You are getting rather good at hitting the same small diameter hole every time Roger  :ThumbsUp:
« Last Edit: March 07, 2021, 11:22:42 AM by Admiral_dk »

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #302 on: March 06, 2021, 05:34:46 PM »
Thank you Per  :ThumbsUp: It took me a long time to learn how to ream properly  ::)

A quick sanity check to make sure it will fit before I start all the fiddley bits.
Best regards

Roger

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #303 on: March 07, 2021, 05:34:59 PM »
On with some of the little bits. First was the bronze bush for the pump tappet turned to 6.05mm, reamed 5mm pressed in and reamed again. Next up was slitting the end or a piece of 5mm silver steel as the start of the pump tappet. This was done with a 1.2mm wide saw in 3 cuts to get a 2mm slot. Finally turning the piece that goes on the end of the pump plunger before going over to milling  mode.
First in milling mode was to cut a 10° angle on a piece of 4mm square silver steel for the stroke adjustment wedge.
Best regards

Roger

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #304 on: March 09, 2021, 05:42:32 PM »
The wedge was then used to set the angle for the tappet using a piece of 2mm brass in the slot to ensure it was vertical. Next up while in milling mode the 4mm slot for the adjustment wedge was milled in the bracket and the body. It seems to align well enough. The pivot hole in the wedge was then drilled 1.8mm and reamed 2mm.
Best regards

Roger

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #305 on: March 10, 2021, 07:25:13 PM »
The tappet was then set up to drill and ream the pivot hole. All the silver steel parts were then hardened. The bore of the pump element shrunk so that a 1.95mm pin gauge no longer entered. It was then lapped out to 1.97mm using an Acro needle lap and 1 micron diamond paste.
Best regards

Roger

Offline fumopuc

• Munich, Germany, EU
« Reply #306 on: March 12, 2021, 08:40:18 AM »
Hi Roger, always a pleasure again and again to follow your "Swiss Clockwork" model engineering.
Kind Regards
Achim

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #307 on: March 13, 2021, 12:36:15 PM »
Thank you Achim  :ThumbsUp: Progress is a bit slow at the moment as there is various work and family things going on. My daughter's first book was published last week and she has two more underway. My employer is building a factory extension here which includes a new ebeam facility. As the accelerator is being supplied by an American firm all communication is by email and teams which is far less efficient than sitting a conference room surrounded by drawings.

Next up I confirmed the required plunger length by putting a 1mm drill in the inlet port and measuring the spacing to the end of the body. The end of a 1.97mm pin gauge was annealed and threaded M2 for the tappet/spring seating. Finally the pin gauge was cut to the calculated length using a thin abrasive disc. It all seemed to fit together and the tappet was flush with the body with a 1mm drill in the inlet. That a gives 1mm stroke to close the inlet port and a maximum of 2mm pumping stroke.

When I have lapped the needle of the diesel injector (on the fuel injection thread) the pieces can all go in the ultrasonic bath. I have been trying to overlap this and the new injector to minimise the number of set up changes.
Best regards

Roger

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #308 on: March 13, 2021, 06:37:54 PM »
Still following your progress Roger  :ThumbsUp:

Yes - we do not always plan our own time / other projects take the priority ....

Did I just read between the lines that you work @ Cern ?

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #309 on: March 15, 2021, 12:32:42 PM »
Thank you Per,

I'm not at CERN, I work for a manufacturer of high performance wire and cable at the other end of Switzerland:

https://literature.hubersuhner.com/Technologies/Lowfrequency/EbeamCrosslinking/?gotofirstsearchresult=white%20paper&page=1

Best regards

Roger

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #310 on: March 15, 2021, 09:52:40 PM »
OK - but interesting none the less ....

I had not heard of electric cabling made with voltages between 500KV and 3MV before - definitely NOT a place to FOOL around in the wrong places  :zap:   :o   :insane:

That said - I expect that this is confined to certain areas or even inside equipment + of cause the "Lab Facilities" of the R&D Department.

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #311 on: March 18, 2021, 05:45:14 PM »
The connections are M5 x 0.5 unions from Regner, the inlet is standard, the delivery valve is modified. The excentric strap is cut from a 25mm wide 2mm brass strip. The hole was bored to 19mm in the lathe and used to check the diameter of the excentric itself. I did not allow enough clearance in the fuel pump excentic and it seized  ::)
Best regards

Roger

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #312 on: March 18, 2021, 05:46:17 PM »
Due to the 8 picture limit
Best regards

Roger

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #313 on: March 25, 2021, 08:27:05 PM »
The necessary holes were drilled in the excentric strap and the excentric was drilled and tapped M2 for a grub screw. The rest of the strap was finished with hacksawing and filling. I could have made some complicated set ups with the RT but this seemed quicker  :)

Ready for a trial assembly of the pump. I still need to make an injection inlet manifold.
Best regards

Roger

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #314 on: March 29, 2021, 07:43:55 PM »
The excentric fitted and aligned with the pump. It all seemed to work together when turned with starter  :)  Next step was to mill a cut out in the timing gear cover.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9jwPD-DGMI" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9jwPD-DGMI</a>
Best regards

Roger

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal