Author Topic: Tug's Corliss Tandem Compound Project  (Read 94423 times)

Offline ShopShoe

• Central Iowa, Central USA
Re: Tug's Corliss Tandem Compound Project
« Reply #615 on: January 04, 2021, 01:40:14 PM »
Ramon,

What can I say? It seems that everyone has said so much that my voice becomes only a minor "Me, Too." and I become more restrained. This time this project is so astounding, and a long time coming, and I feel I have to add my compliments to the mix.

I bow to your skills and perseverence on this project and echo all that has been said. GREAT build, incredible detail, etc.

And thank you for the in-process updates when you were able to put them up for us. You are one of the encouragers and I thank you for it.

ShopShoe

Offline ShopShoe

• Central Iowa, Central USA
« Reply #616 on: January 04, 2021, 02:03:49 PM »
OT Sidebar:

--

Jo,

I have noticed what you have noticed and my shop activities have been cut back by a series of events in my life. Not all of this is due to Covid, but **** happens.

I have been paying attention to this and other forums, and commenting when it seems appropriate (Which is when I think I can add to the discussion or help someone.)  I hope to be back to more active shop life as circumstances allow.

I hope all of us can continue in this community as we can, and I encourage the beginners and the shy ones to come forth, perhaps with some new ideas that they have actually implemented in spite of "...things" at this time.

I could do with some short and sweet posts of new tooling, inventive posts on finishing metal, and maybe some mechanical objects of whimsey made for practice and entertainment: Some things that might be made in a short time when personal life, weather conditions, and family obligations allow a few hours of playtime.

BTW, on a personal note, my desire to post was diminished after the Photobucket situation, and now YouTube might be no longer an option for me. I can work around, but I can feel the enthusiasm leaking out when I have to spend more time working around to make posts instead of working in the shop.

Keep Calm and Machine On, Keep 'um Turning, We Do Our Parts, etc.

ShopShoe

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #617 on: January 04, 2021, 02:22:35 PM »
Over the last 9 years that MEM has been in existence I have constantly posted my builds (or casting fonding during the major surgery recovery), participate in other's threads if appropriate, Moderate and Administer this forum. What I have learnt is you get out of participating what you put in but don't expect everyone to participate: the vast majority of members have never posted  :(  and some only post once or twice never to post again. Those that do participate show interest in different aspects of a build: yes there are the constant complementers  ::), those that only join in for the purpose of clarification to aid their understanding and many new members who seem to be shy as it takes time before they move beyond posting only on the threads of those people who welcomed them into the forum.

During the duration of Covid I have noticed that many of the members are struggling to post anything at all and the number of builds being undertaken has drastically reduced. We all need to encourage and support each other in any way we can. To that end I continue to post my builds in the hope that it is of use to someone who may take the time to read it and hope that it was of use to them. I know people are interested as I can see the view count going up  :cheers:

Jo

Jo -

Please don't take that as a criticism of the character of anyone on here, regular poster or not.

We are all different and I am well aware of those who, for whatever reason, do not wish to post. I have two good friends one who posts extremely rarely the other not at all but both of whom phone regularly to discuss what's been posted.

It's an observation on my part that's all. I think it would be fair to say, though not on here from the very outset, since the time I did first post I have always tried to portray to others that all is achievable within the remits of skill and equipment. The subjects I have posted on I have always tried to cover fully to show that and I'd like to think it fair to also say I've 'done my fair share' over that time.

Of course it's nice to receive plaudits and commendations over skill and results - but to me a line from the last post by Shop Shoe is far more gratifying than any reference to my skill level - " You are one of the encouragers and I thank you for it" -  that and similar lines on occasion in the past, sometimes from 'unknown' names - now that does give me a feeling of self satisfaction to think that someone considers such enough to say so.

When I say I'm tired I really mean it - age is catching up fast but like any ex 'airborne' squaddy, being worn down by it's challenge is one thing - giving in however is most definitely not an option.

Covid has seen me lose interest in plastic modelling, sailing, flying control line and all because the social contact is not there. None of that is dead - just dormant - but it has given me time to concentrate on machining something I intend to continue with but unlikely to post about.

There's a French expression - not sure how to say it in French but it's meaning is "the well has run dry"

Shop Shoe, my thanks indeed for your kind comments - very much appreciated.

That's it for now

Regards - Tug

"I ain't here for the long time but I am here for a good time"
(a very apt phrase - thanks to a well meaning MEM friend)

Online vcutajar

• Marsascala, MALTA
« Reply #618 on: January 04, 2021, 08:14:39 PM »
Stunning photos of the engine Ramon.  :NotWorthy:
Managed to find the video also.  Running like clockwork. :NotWorthy:

Vince

Offline samc88

« Reply #619 on: January 04, 2021, 09:17:13 PM »
Beautiful result, Ive recently read through the whole thread and the work is very good. I tend to follow builds in work as im on tapatalk i get notifications on threads so get  quick look at the post but rarely have time to post anything useful

Offline propforward

• MN, USA
« Reply #620 on: January 04, 2021, 09:47:20 PM »
Over the last 9 years that MEM has been in existence I have constantly posted my builds (or casting fonding during the major surgery recovery), participate in other's threads if appropriate, Moderate and Administer this forum. What I have learnt is you get out of participating what you put in but don't expect everyone to participate: the vast majority of members have never posted  :(  and some only post once or twice never to post again. Those that do participate show interest in different aspects of a build: yes there are the constant complementers  ::), those that only join in for the purpose of clarification to aid their understanding and many new members who seem to be shy as it takes time before they move beyond posting only on the threads of those people who welcomed them into the forum.

During the duration of Covid I have noticed that many of the members are struggling to post anything at all and the number of builds being undertaken has drastically reduced. We all need to encourage and support each other in any way we can. To that end I continue to post my builds in the hope that it is of use to someone who may take the time to read it and hope that it was of use to them. I know people are interested as I can see the view count going up  :cheers:

Jo

We are all different and I am well aware of those who, for whatever reason, do not wish to post.

I look at many threads on here. To be honest, I shy away from posting on threads such as this one, because the work is simply magnificent, and I kind of don't feel I can add anything beyond what has been said. So I really appreciate threads like this because they are an inspiration. I pick up many tips from pictures of set ups and so on. But I do get the effort required to make detailed threads. I used to write "how to" tech threads on motorcycle maintenance, and it is time consuming. So from an avid fan / novice, to you and all the other experienced and accomplished members, thank you for posting your work.
Stuart

Forging ahead regardless.

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #621 on: January 05, 2021, 08:24:27 PM »
Sorry to hear about your health issues Ramon - this is never nice - no matter how you view it ....
I really hope that you still get the opportunity to enjoy whatever life is left for you and Sue.

As one who have had sleep deprivation (apnøe) problems most of my life, I can relate to being too tired to do anything in the workshop as it can be dangerous, or just detrimental to progress on the subject you want to work on ....

I really should remember this opportunity to once again thank you for all your help and explanations over time on this forum  :praise2:   :praise2:   :praise2:
I have learned a lot from your postings and enjoyed them immensely - especially those about CI Engines (diesels to some) for Model Airplanes. This is both from an understanding how they work, how to make them and many more details, that you shared with us all here  :ThumbsUp:  :cheers:

I hope you still look in from time to time .... if only to see what is going on here.

Say hello to Sue and best wishes to you both   :)

Per

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #622 on: January 06, 2021, 09:36:52 AM »
Hi Vince, Yes very pleased with how it runs - far easier to achieve and much better than anticipated.

Sam, thanks for commenting - I do appreciate that it may not suit everyone to post but it's always nice to hear from someone 'new' when they do

'Prop' - thanks to you too - I do try to pass on anything that I have learnt over the years so good to hear you feel it of use. Something I am aware of is that 'knowledge' from my past is slowly becoming obsolete as things move on apace. I recently searched for 'slot drills' - every thing that came up was solid carbide - I had to try again for HSS. I began to use solid carbide tools in my last few years at work but they were only used on the newly installed machining centre.

Per - I am on top of the health issues with the help of medication but thanks for your concern - there's no plan to slide off the old perch quite yet so I intend to hang on in there for as long as possible - I'm 76 in five days time - hopefully I'll be able to say the same about being 86 in ten years time :D

I'm afraid the tiredness - both mental and physical - is just something that has to be allowed for in any planning  ::) just means what time is available with a clear mind is becoming a slowly diminishing commodity. Sights will have to be set much lower as the years progress. The very best to you to - Sue sends her regards.

I think we can bring this particular journey to an end now guys. When I set out it was not so much on a whim but just to see how far the machining would get rather than sell the castings on. No one is more surprised that it's actually finished than yours truly but like most of what's built in the past it's now under wraps and it's time to move on.

My thanks to all who have followed the thread whether posting or not and to those that did for all the relevant comments you've made over the time - I have really enjoyed making this model and it's description and, even if I meandered a tad (a tad??) OT at times it would appear you have too.

My very best for this year to all :)

Tug

Offline kvom

« Reply #623 on: January 06, 2021, 01:27:57 PM »
I hadn't seen photos of the back side of the engine  before the last batch you posted.  Can you explain the brass assemblies along the sides of the cylinders as well as the small valves at the base?  Is the rod supported by brackets next to the flywheel the barring bar?

Thanks.

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #624 on: January 06, 2021, 05:24:57 PM »
Hi 'kv'

The small valves at the base are the cylinder drain valves - I think there is a picture in the thread somewhere of drilling through the base and having an o ring seal where they go up into the cylinder. They are 90 degree turn and made from scratch. The four pipes go to a manifold beneath then a single pipe to the exhaust system at the end.

The pipework at the centre height of the cylinders although through flow is actually a dummy. It represents the take off point for a steam usage indicator. Technically it should have a two way valve to isolate one side from the other but sometimes these were fitted just when required - I went for the easy option.

Yes the rod is the barring handle - it's quite surprising just how little a force is required to move the flywheel with it in true fashion, hardly any but scaled up of course it was probably a different matter.

Hope that helps some

Regards - Tug

Edit - I overlooked the pressure relief valves. Again dummies. these were usually fitted either atop the cylinders or on the side. A search of several books showed one engine with them fitted as such - they looked better to my eye than sticking out at 90 degrees.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2021, 09:42:45 AM by Ramon »

Offline Hrcoleman

« Reply #625 on: January 08, 2021, 11:28:26 PM »
I can only add to what others have said here.  Pouring over all the images in this thread as well as the informative text and finally the YouTube videos; this is a true testament to a master model engineers skills.  I thought I was a half reasonable shaper of bits of metal, but what you have built here Tug, from the oil boxes on the mani bearings to the smallest linkage, is a high bench mark for those of us less skilled to aim for.
Happy birthday as well.

Cheers,

Hugh

Offline Steamer5

• Global Moderator
  • The "Naki" New Zealand
« Reply #626 on: January 09, 2021, 08:34:16 AM »
Hi Ramon,
 My dad retired at 60. Mum died a couple of years later, since then he spends some of everyday in the workshop, he will be 94 in 2 months! He credits time in the shop to keeping him going. He has just finished repairing a 200 year old telescope for a friend of his, cutting the 3 inch rack was a challenge but he got there......he called in a few favors on that one.
Guess what I’m trying to say is we all have to keep the little grey cells busy, how we do that is our choice, making things is one, imparting that knowledge on to others is a gift that gives both ways. Today it is a lot easier than in the past to reach a far bigger audience, Like most here I’m in amazement at your work & am thankful that you are prepared to spend the time sharing it with us. Roll on your 86th birthday........enjoy the journey!

Keep safe, the news here is reporting COVID is ramping up in the UK. We are very lucky here, but at any time we could have an out break, the UK strain is here luckily caught in Managed Isolation

Cheers Kerrin
Get excited and make something!

Offline HG Corliss

« Reply #627 on: December 29, 2021, 12:20:17 AM »
I'm not to sure if this will get to the right person as the post i was researching was in 2017
I'm inquiring about the Arnold Throp drawings of the Model Condensing Corliss Engine
and if they are still available
I'm getting ready to start the Corliss engine project and have been researching for as many drawings as i can find
right now i have James Wolf, Charles Heckel, and The Model Engine Maker drawings
looking for the Arnold Throp drawings (16 Pages)

Any help would be appreciated
Thank-you
HG Corliss

(yes his 2nd grandfather is my 6th)

Offline deltatango

• Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #628 on: December 29, 2021, 01:02:12 AM »
Hi HG Corliss,
Welcome to the forum!

Bob Potter sold his business 'Southworth Engines", including I think the Corliss design, to Blackgates Engineering - try sales@blackgates.co.uk .

If they can't help then there are alternative ways. Please take a look at https://www.modelenginemaker.com/index.php/topic,9540.0.html where I'm part way through building a Throp/Southworth engine.

Regards, David

Just edited to get Bob Potter's name in there correctly.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2021, 06:26:58 AM by deltatango »
Don't die wondering!

Offline HG Corliss

« Reply #629 on: December 30, 2021, 09:32:31 PM »
Thank you will try that route

Herb

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal