Author Topic: Tug's Corliss Tandem Compound Project  (Read 92401 times)

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
Re: Tug's Corliss Tandem Compound Project
« Reply #600 on: December 28, 2020, 08:46:26 AM »
Phil - I had emailed Bob  but heard nothing as yet.

Chris - you old lurker you  :Lol: out of the wood work at last - you'll be posting about that latest build next  ;D

Dennis - Thanks for taking the time to look in and comment. I am familiar with Simons build but it's been a while since I have seen his engine - an impressive model too.

Computer seems to have 'freed up' some but I notice the video link Phil put up is still blank on this PC.
With a totally crashed laptop - must have been putting all those images up during the MEM show  ::) I'm in the hands of this PC's foibles. One thing I have noticed is that the constant bombardment of spam emails offering Bitcoin and other non desirable offers seems to have dried up completely. Coincidence?

All the best for the New Year guys - hope it's a lot better than this one

Tug
"I ain't here for the long time but I am here for a good time"
(a very apt phrase - thanks to a well meaning MEM friend)

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #601 on: December 28, 2020, 10:29:57 AM »
Splendid  :praise2:  :praise2: and you kept smiling even with a nasty cut  ::)

I do enjoy watching these complicated valve mechanisms  :)  :wine1:
Best regards

Roger

Offline JC54

• Grantham, Lincolnshire, UK
« Reply #602 on: December 28, 2020, 02:01:24 PM »
 Absolutely Brilliant. :praise2: :praise2: :killcomputer: John
When the Fun Stops,, Stop!

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #603 on: January 02, 2021, 11:25:51 PM »
Hi Guys, for some unexplained reason this computer is now working better. I have managed to upload some photos to Google photos tonight without the previous issues. So having taken some 'walkround' pics this morning here's the last post on this project.

And one final - last - overall look

That's it guys - photos as promised and the very end of the project. It's all now under wraps - the decision to have it on the sideboard in the hall was vetoed - by me - yes really. Just too big and besides with it in the workshop I can run it whenever I want  :)

Time to move on though my plans will see little to post about- all the best for the coming year,  that's it from tha ol shid for some time to come

Tug
« Last Edit: January 02, 2021, 11:37:31 PM by Ramon »

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #604 on: January 03, 2021, 12:25:54 AM »
Top notch engine as said before Ramon, the detail pics were great, really enjoyed looking through them. Thanks for posting. Happy New Year!  (in the "ol' shid" or out of it!)  :cheers:
"I've cut that stock three times, and it's still too short!"

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #605 on: January 03, 2021, 02:16:53 AM »
 Hi Tug looking Wonderfull and really good photos ...have you weighed it yet. ??  something to be really proud of
 I have a cable from my MacBook Air that plugs into the telly and they look even better on the large screen, !!
Looking forward to your next project..

Willy
« Last Edit: January 03, 2021, 02:20:48 AM by steam guy willy »

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #606 on: January 03, 2021, 07:26:32 AM »
Thanks for the Photos Ramon , nice to study all the detail you have put into the engine.

Don't let it be too long before we see that twin shaft and what you do with that block of CI.

J

Offline derekwarner

• Wollongong ...... Australia
« Reply #607 on: January 03, 2021, 08:33:10 AM »
Did I read in another article [somewhere] that the close-fitting wooden slats over the sides of the flywheel were to reduce the overbearing howl/shriek like sound emitted from the speeding spokes thrashing thru the air?..........

Brilliant photographs  :ThumbsUp: ......
What is the completed [ball park] weight?

Derek 
« Last Edit: January 03, 2021, 08:53:05 AM by derekwarner »
Derek L Warner - Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op - Australia
www.ils.org.au

Offline Steamer5

• Global Moderator
  • The "Naki" New Zealand
« Reply #608 on: January 03, 2021, 08:36:03 AM »
Hi Ramon,
 Gobsmacked!
Fantastic model, enjoyed the video loved the pictures & enjoyed the build journey.

Have a safe New Year, & looking forward to what ever you decided to build & share with us.

Cheers Kerrin
Get excited and make something!

Offline gbritnell

« Reply #609 on: January 03, 2021, 01:52:55 PM »
A truly outstanding engineering miniature. Your attention to detail is first rate. Thanks for all the documentation along the way.
gbritnell
Talent unshared is talent wasted.

Offline tangler

• Christchurch, UK
« Reply #610 on: January 03, 2021, 04:34:30 PM »
An exemplar and an inspiration.  Thank you so much for sharing with us   :ThumbsUp:
Please don't stay away for too long.

Happy New Year to you and Sue,
Rod and Sally

Offline Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #611 on: January 03, 2021, 05:01:45 PM »
That is beautiful, Tug!
Thanks for all the detailed photos. The workmanship is just amazing!
Kim

Offline Laurentic

• Nr Yeovil, Somerset, England
« Reply #612 on: January 03, 2021, 06:22:24 PM »
Came upon this thread only shortly before Christmas would you believe - I'm really good at missing good threads - and have spent quite some time since Christmas reading through this thread from beginning to end, yes, all 41 pages of it!  Could only read for about an hour or so at a time before my eyes give me a headache and send me dizzy, so it's taken a while.

What can I say that hasn't been said so many times before?  The build is stunning, the attention to detail is stunning, the set ups were so interesting and informative, the discourse on using JB Weld so interesting and informative too, and the end result is not only stunning and a credit to you Tug but a target for all of us to aim for but I fear not many will achieve - I certainly won't.  What you have ended up with Tug is an exhibition quality model with the added bonus that it works too.

A nice touch was finding out even the good and great make mistakes and/or are not satisfied with what has been made and make it again, I am not alone in that it seems!  Mind you, I make most parts at least twice if not three times before they are 'acceptable'.

Well done Tug, you have my admiration - I will now make sure I follow your next projects, may there be many to follow too.

Chris

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #613 on: January 04, 2021, 11:08:56 AM »
'Laurentic' and guys - thank you all for taking the time to post and for your kind comments.  :embarassed: I can think of better Xmas reading perhaps Chris but each to his own eh? :D

I feel I may have come across as being a bit short finishing off that last post so.....

I know I have said this before but posting about a project has become, for me, a two edged sword. It takes a fair amount of time from that of actually modelling to think about taking images of procedure, then sit down afterwards and sort them before writing and inserting them for others to see. I've always done so on the basis that it may be of interest to others and that what I do to achieve a result may also be of use to someone else. If that is the case then it has been worthwhile but believe me, I must stress, I certainly do not see it as doing it for any sort of personal ego. To receive a comment such as yours Chris on the odd occasion makes up for those times when after a long post and a considerable increase in visits there is nothing but a huge silence. That situation always leads to questioning whether it's all actually worthwhile. When I've said that before it usually provokes the odd comment to the positive but that is usually short lived and soon forgotten.

I'm getting old - and tired! Really! I've always gained satisfaction from helping someone so that's what has always motivated me to post in the past. I've said before I like to think that I write as if I'm speaking to, and certainly not at, whoever is reading it. I'd like to also think that that comes across to the reader- maybe I'm fooling myself - perhaps it doesn't :(

Some may have noticed that since the posting resumed on the Corliss there have been few if any 'in progress' pics. Minor health issues over the last eighteen months or so have lead at times ( a lot of times) to extreme tiredness so time 'awake' is precious. I have a new project but must confess I have little drive to continue posting about the construction of it because of that reason. Hope everyone will understand that.

So, cnr, Willy, Jason, Derek, Kerrin, George, Rod, Kim and Chris once again my thanks for taking the time to comment and also to those who have previously   :) and to those who asked ......

Willy, no I haven't weighed it as such but I can't lift it myself! Hopefully in the not too distant future you'll get to see how heavy it is!

Jason, the twin shaft is on semi permanent hold. Mainly due to Covid restrictions there seems little point in pursuing such if being able to run it is virtually impossible. And the cast iron - well ????

Derek - I believe the slats were mainly to prevent 'windage' in the surrounding environment which would have been considerable from an engine working at full chat! As said to Willy no idea on weight - I could lift the flywheel end with both arms but couldn't support it with one long enough to place those blocks under!

For once guys I can't say with conviction "I'll be back" but of course one should "never say never"  ;)

My regards to all - Ol Tug

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #614 on: January 04, 2021, 12:10:08 PM »
I know I have said this before but posting about a project has become, for me, a two edged sword. It takes a fair amount of time from that of actually modelling to think about taking images of procedure, then sit down afterwards and sort them before writing and inserting them for others to see. I've always done so on the basis that it may be of interest to others and that what I do to achieve a result may also be of use to someone else. If that is the case then it has been worthwhile but believe me, I must stress, I certainly do not see it as doing it for any sort of personal ego. To receive a comment such as yours Chris on the odd occasion makes up for those times when after a long post and a considerable increase in visits there is nothing but a huge silence. That situation always leads to questioning whether it's all actually worthwhile. When I've said that before it usually provokes the odd comment to the positive but that is usually short lived and soon forgotten.

Over the last 9 years that MEM has been in existence I have constantly posted my builds (or casting fonding during the major surgery recovery), participate in other's threads if appropriate, Moderate and Administer this forum. What I have learnt is you get out of participating what you put in but don't expect everyone to participate: the vast majority of members have never posted  :(  and some only post once or twice never to post again. Those that do participate show interest in different aspects of a build: yes there are the constant complementers  ::), those that only join in for the purpose of clarification to aid their understanding and many new members who seem to be shy as it takes time before they move beyond posting only on the threads of those people who welcomed them into the forum.

During the duration of Covid I have noticed that many of the members are struggling to post anything at all and the number of builds being undertaken has drastically reduced. We all need to encourage and support each other in any way we can. To that end I continue to post my builds in the hope that it is of use to someone who may take the time to read it and hope that it was of use to them. I know people are interested as I can see the view count going up  :cheers:

Jo

Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal