Author Topic: Tug's Corliss Tandem Compound Project  (Read 92412 times)

Offline gbritnell

Re: Tug's Corliss Tandem Compound Project
« Reply #540 on: November 24, 2020, 05:47:15 PM »
Hi Ramon,
While it would be neat to have a working mechanical lubricators in that scale why not just make, externally, what looks like a lubricator with linkage and pipework. If you would ever operate it on steam you could put a displacement lubricator in the feed line. Some things just aren't practical when you get that small.
gbritnell
Talent unshared is talent wasted.

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #541 on: November 24, 2020, 06:47:52 PM »
Hi Guys, it's always appreciated when someone replies and none more so than this time. Sometimes it's hard to see the wood from the trees when 'mindset' is set in

I really had been focussed on how to get a tiny cylinder (working) inside a none too big box. I had checked the odd few drawings of lubers I have but CNR's post turned things around  ;D What a damn good idea and George has now reinforced it - thanks guys, much appreciated.

As I do not intend to run this on steam George  a 'displacement' lubricator is out but I can have a resevoir feeding a dummy 'working' box (as scale as fittings will allow). I'm thinking that the resevoir could take the shape of the average displacement lubricator with a tight fitting cap. This can be situated as you suggest beneath the base with access via on of those redundant chequer plated holes originally cut in for the slide valve set up. If this could be pressurised slightly by a bleed off from the main stop valve this could be piped to said distributer block with dummy 'works'.

The more I think about it the more attractive it appeals - only downside is that the finish ETA is slightly put back but whats a couple of more weeks here and there.

Thanks for the offer of drawings cnr but I don't think I'll be needing them now ;)

The piping isn't going to arrive for a fortnight - that's going to be a long wait  ::)

Thanks again guys - back soon

Tug
"I ain't here for the long time but I am here for a good time"
(a very apt phrase - thanks to a well meaning MEM friend)

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #542 on: November 25, 2020, 12:05:19 AM »
 :ThumbsUp:  Glad the idea was useful. Look forward to seeing the lubricator / distribution box as the build continues.  :cheers:
"I've cut that stock three times, and it's still too short!"

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #543 on: November 25, 2020, 12:51:35 PM »
Just came back from a really nice beach walk with Sue. Gave me time to muse over this a bit more.

Actually I don't think this will work as said - there being no pressure differential between the initial air and that in the steam chests (sorry about the mix but you know what I mean) - well certainly in the HP - the drop to the LP possibly being a different matter.  The take off from the stop valve is on the down side of regulation, couple that with the drag in such very small piping I think a pressurised vessel will require considerably more pressure than the running pressure - not something I want to pursue due to having to break into existing pipe work.

Thinking then is to replace the air pressurised oil vessel with a screw type plunger which should be able to force the oil through as required e.g. like a stuffer box only oil instead of grease.

When I have run my other engines at shows etc - I usually squeeze a good slug of steam oil into the airline inlet port before coupling up the airline. Not exactly scientific but it works. This is fine for single and twin cylinders with common inlet piping but the pathway to the LP cylinder is a longway from that initial air inlet on this engine

Any thoughts or comments before I get too far on this?

Regards - Tug

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #544 on: November 25, 2020, 01:34:13 PM »
Ramon, you could make a small version of the central oiling system found on some of the CNC machines. A spring loaded plunger is drawn back which fills the pump cavity with oil from a  container and then the spring provides the pressure to push the oil through the pipework to the various parts of the machine. The small openings in the pipework means the plunger takes 30 secs or so to return to the start. You only give t a pump once in a while.

If you can't picture what I'm describing let me know and I'll video the one on my machine

https://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/Catalogue/Machine-Spares/One-Shot-Lubrication-System

The other option is to add an air tool lubricator to your airline just before the engine which draws up a small adjustable amount of oil into the air flow which would get carried through the valves, HP and exhaust into the LP valves and then cylinder

https://www.toolstation.com/air-filter-regulator-lubricator/p36390

Naughty Nick had one for his engines, look at 2.30 in

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpQ7O6TMyP0" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpQ7O6TMyP0</a>
« Last Edit: November 25, 2020, 01:43:16 PM by Jasonb »

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #545 on: November 25, 2020, 02:07:56 PM »
Thanks for the input Jason, yes I am familiar with one shot systems - we had them on the Bridgeports and yes I could - do have infact - an oil resevoir/regulator set up though never use oil in it. Personally I'd rather not go down that route though as I do like the way steam oil coats all surfaces used as previously described.

This has begun more from wanting to fit a 'working' but 'in scale' lubricator to this engine. It would be nice to think that though a conventional working model lubricator would be a bit too large CNR's idea of a remote one has certainly made the prospect a viable one. The problem there is the direct linkage required - not something possible without some major strip down and alteration involved.

Your thought on the 'one shot' is another option however - thanks indeed :ThumbsUp: Just have to see if I can come up with some thing small but effective enough.

Stay well

Regards - Ramon

« Last Edit: November 25, 2020, 02:11:55 PM by Ramon »

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #546 on: November 25, 2020, 02:46:51 PM »
What sort of size do you think a mechanical one would have to be? The Minnie one fits into a 5/8" cube and could possibly be made even smaller

Full size has been known to just clamp the drive link to the valve rod

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #547 on: November 25, 2020, 04:30:40 PM »
Hi Ramon, maybe one like the link below could be hidden in the base and powered by a "wall wart" 250 VAC to 12 VDC converter. It would only need to be switched on periodically. You could use the 12 VDC for engine room lights at the pressure gauge maybe, too. Just food for thought. The pumps are rated for gasoline/petrol and diesel so would be fine from the chem resistance aspect for lube oil. However I am not sure if they will pump high viscosity heavy lube oil - testing needed for that.

https://www.aircraftspruce.ca/catalog/pnpages/05-10856.php?gclid=CjwKCAiAnvj9BRA4EiwAuUMDf6xjI2xJcWTs7v-GosJX7knGVoqPbmjwofj2dAp-EsSBhknv2lT4VxoCDMEQAvD_BwE

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #548 on: November 25, 2020, 07:01:10 PM »
Hi guys - thanks for this further input but at this stage cnr I don't want to have an independant power source - your thoughts are much appreciated though.

I was thinking of linkage to a pump beneath the base there Jason - not really a viable proposition now the engine is erected. I was intending to drive the 'lubricator' (dummy or working) from a clamp on the valve rocker rod as you suggest.

After my last post I went out to see if I could come up with something that would be totally unobtrusive and based on cnr's first suggestion. I kept coming back to an air pressurised resevoir but could not see a way to do this without some serious buggering about underneath the base. In desperation I took a look at the stop valve - so far dismissed - and the possibilty was there of drilling a bypass through to the take off which would allow initial pressure being tapped off. This would allow the system to work independant of running pressure. So, drilling successfully acomplished I think it will work - only way to find out is to try so will set too in the morning :)

The other good news is that I found a couple of lengths of small bore copper tube that can be used for the plumbing before the dummy lubricator/distribution block.

All that said Jason I'm intrigued by a 5/8 cubed version - any chance of posting a sketch of it?

Thanks again guys - I'm getting a real good enjoyment factor out of this addition - have to keep going now :ThumbsUp:

Regards - Tug

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #550 on: November 25, 2020, 10:33:49 PM »
Thanks Jason, duly printed off and ready for bed time reading  :ThumbsUp:

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #551 on: December 03, 2020, 02:11:53 PM »
Hi Guys, just to say silence doesn't mean nothings happening!

I've finally settled for a pressured resevoir beneath the plinth as previously considered using incoming air pressure bypassing the main stop valve. That's now made and fitted and I'm just in the throes of piping up to the valve and the dummy lubricator/distribution point. It all looks viable but whether that thick old steam oil will get down that microbore of the 1mm tube is as yet to be seen.

Making nipples and nuts with a 2mm thread is a whole new experience too  :)

Hope to be able to test this tomorrow.

Regards - Tug

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #552 on: December 03, 2020, 03:05:56 PM »
Hi Tug

For some reason I'm not able to see the photos.  :stickpoke::lolb:

Dave

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #553 on: December 03, 2020, 09:02:02 PM »
Well Hell Dave neither am I :Lol:

Actually I haven't taken any whilst doing all these small brassy bits but heres a small update taken tonight to keep you smilin'

Still a few bits to do but not far off now  :)

Regards - Tug

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #554 on: December 03, 2020, 09:15:42 PM »
 :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal