Author Topic: Tug's Corliss Tandem Compound Project  (Read 94403 times)

Offline deltatango

• Melbourne, Australia
Re: Tug's Corliss Tandem Compound Project
« Reply #480 on: October 24, 2020, 11:27:38 PM »
That's brilliant Tug! Thank you for taking the trouble to make the video and for sharing it.

Seeing the trip gear working, and working so very well, is a huge inspiration to me to keep going with what sometimes feels like an interminable project.

Like Jason I'm hearing much more air noise on the rearward stroke than the other one.

Thinking aloud now - if my current understanding of how the two cylinders work together is correct then both must be working exactly in phase - the rigid piston rod forces this - so the valve events should happen at identical times on both. It follows that the lengths of the links between the two valve gears are critical as are the positions of the two pistons along the piston rod. OK, I'll stop rambling and let you get on making the rest of the bits  :)

Regards, David
Don't die wondering!

Offline kvom

« Reply #481 on: October 25, 2020, 12:23:25 AM »
Great vid.   :cheers:  Your hand gives a good appreciation of the size of the engine.

If there is a way to run with only the LP engine fine tuning its valve adjustments would be easier.

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #482 on: October 25, 2020, 12:42:32 AM »
Beautiful Tug!
Lots of interesting motion going on there.

Dave

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #483 on: October 25, 2020, 02:17:02 AM »
Wonderfull ,looks and sounds great...another lovely project nearing completion  and now the clocks have gone back we get an extra hour in the workshop !!

willy.

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #484 on: October 25, 2020, 04:55:51 AM »
That is great, Tug!
Thanks for posting the video.
Love seeing all that linkage in motion!
Kim

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #485 on: October 25, 2020, 10:10:58 AM »
Wonderful result  :ThumbsUp:    Thanks for the video and all the lessons on the way  :NotWorthy:     Terry

Offline MJM460

• Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #486 on: October 25, 2020, 10:40:20 AM »
Hi Ramon,

Absolutely wonderful to see it running so well.  A real tribute to your work.  And that exquisite OS and Y steam valve with the rising stem just to top it off. 

Yes, I can hear that slightly asymmetric sound.  But if the notes were out of order, I doubt that it would run so sweetly.  I think it could be one just not quite on the beat.  But so close, there is surely not much wrong. 

When thinking about what happens when those plugs are removed, I feel that might be expected when running on such low pressure, and with atmospheric pressure exhaust, when the load and the  pressure profile through the engine is nothing like the profile the designer intended.  I don’t know what pressure is at your compressor discharge, but the pressure the engine sees is the pressure in the steam chest.  And this will be very low, especially when the steam valve is throttling for slow speed.  The expansion of the air as it passes through the engine may be producing pressure below atmospheric within the engine, and when the LP exhaust opens, atmospheric air will first flow in, before being expelled as intended.  This will have an effect on the power produced by the engine, and hence its speed.  Operation will be closer to normal when running on some load so the inlet pressure can be increased.

But sorting that out can come later.  I am sure celebrations are in order now.

MJM460
The more I learn, the more I find that I still have to learn!

Offline astroud

« Reply #487 on: October 25, 2020, 11:03:22 AM »
Exquisite !
Beautiful engine and I love the slow tickover and the sound as it slowly speeds up.

congratulations, Andrew

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #488 on: October 25, 2020, 08:41:08 PM »
Hi guys - thanks to all for looking in and your kind comments. Particularly Andrew - always nice to see a new name and hear from them  :ThumbsUp:

I have to tell you I don't quite share your thoughts that it's running okay. That extra long stroke you can hear is actually on the upstroke - where it appears to have some resistance but hasn't. I think that at that point air is coming in but the exhaust has already begun to close. I don't know what pressure its running on but it's far higher than anything else and certainly more than I'd hoped for. Hopefully this will reduce significantly once things are in synch

I haven't done anything today save a really good clean down and tidy up - I do tend to gradually end up with a bench in total dis-array as I work  ::) - but have been giving it quite some thought. I think I will try to delay the exhaust opening at the eccentric first but have a sneaking feeling those valves are going to have to come out for a slight modification to give a slightly longer opening.

Whatever I will persevere and come back when things are looking much better

Thanks again everyone - to coin a phrase  - 'I'll be back'

Regards frum tha ol shid - Ol Tug
"I ain't here for the long time but I am here for a good time"
(a very apt phrase - thanks to a well meaning MEM friend)

Offline pgp001

• West Yorkshire - UK
« Reply #489 on: October 25, 2020, 08:50:52 PM »
Tug

Just remove the LP piston, no one would ever know  >:D

Phil

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #490 on: October 25, 2020, 09:34:37 PM »
     :ROFL:    :lolb:

I very much doubt that Ramon will settle for that - but thanks for the laugh.

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #491 on: October 25, 2020, 10:37:35 PM »
Tug

Phil

Ah so that's what youre going to do with Agnes is it - never fear your secret's safe with me ;)

Offline tangler

• Christchurch, UK
« Reply #492 on: October 25, 2020, 10:45:19 PM »
Just magnificent  :NotWorthy:

Stay well,
Rod

Offline pgp001

• West Yorkshire - UK
« Reply #493 on: October 25, 2020, 11:15:39 PM »
Tug

Phil

Ah so that's what youre going to do with Agnes is it - never fear your secret's safe with me ;)

Seriously Tug, I am pretty envious of how your engine is coming along, you are making a super job of it and it does look very smart in that colour scheme with no cleading.

I can only hope that when I finally get retired I will be able to make some real progress on Agnes.
Unfortunately I have another 5 months to go even if I decide to chuck the towel in early at 65, but I will have to wait until 66 to get my state pension, so its looking like 17 months.

Due  to a massive downturn in orders at work due to Covid, I actually got made redundant one Monday in August at 4pm................. the phone rang at 9am on the Tuesday morning with the MD begging me to come back and run the department as my boss had handed his notice in the same day.
Having been there for 32 years I seem to be the only one left who knows how we do things. Its probably just as well because we are on the point of accepting an order for four million pounds worth of bespoke machinery in the next couple of weeks. Guess who will be designing it.  :)

So I had a 17 hour taste of being out of work (I quite liked it actually) but I have at least been working from home since March so am getting used to no travelling.
I still get no extra workshop time though.  :ThumbsDown:

Phil

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #494 on: October 26, 2020, 08:22:44 AM »
Hello Rod, good to see you here :ThumbsUp: Hope you and Sally have now settled in well down in Christchurch  :)

Phil, thanks :ThumbsUp:  I'm afraid the primer is beginning to wear a little which gives nice worn patina but not quite in keeping with a new model  ::)

I was fortunate to go early from work so have enjoyed near twenty years of not having to. I've been fit and active for all of that save one scare and op but that is now well past - just wish I had another twenty years ahead of the same but the energy levels definitely decline these days with increasing pace. Hope it all goes well for you but always keep it in mind you only get one go at it (retirement) once you've used the time for other matters its gone forever. It really does seem a very short time since I began my time and January brings forth seventy six years - all downhill to eighty  :old: Soon goes I'm afraid.

Regards - Tug

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal