Author Topic: Tug's Corliss Tandem Compound Project  (Read 94388 times)

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
Re: Tug's Corliss Tandem Compound Project
« Reply #300 on: May 11, 2018, 08:43:26 AM »
Hi Chris, Whiskey, Thanks for looking in  :ThumbsUp:

I came to realise long ago Chris that to leave something you're not satisfied with and carry on soon begins to eat away at you - the 'I wish I'd have done that over' kind of thing  ::) Despite the usual initial thoughts of how can I get round this problem without losing it,  it's usually much easier to just bin it and begin again.

I've only been able to get at this piecemeal this last few days - something I don't like doing but a much needed re-grouting of a freshly pressure washed patio are has taken it's toll - not just in time but in me - tiring work for these old bones  :old:

Ne'er fear Whiskey I'll keep em coming though not quite so frequent for a few days hence ;)

:cheers: - Tug
"I ain't here for the long time but I am here for a good time"
(a very apt phrase - thanks to a well meaning MEM friend)

Offline Jakdaw43

« Reply #301 on: May 12, 2018, 04:24:47 PM »
Hello Gentlemen,
I thought that I should let you know how I'm getting on with my Corliss Duplex Mill Engine project that I started last mid-November.
Having got the basic assemblies for the two halves of the engine together and made a mdf board base to mount it upon I covered the top surface with 'Formica'.  My plan, if it works (!?) is to cut grooves into this to simulate a tiled floor and face the outer mdf surfaces with mahogany.
I've made up the Harnell governor and mounted it up onto a fabricated plinth so that the Corliss valve rods to the high pressure cylinder go beneath it.  I had to experiment a little with the rate of the stainless steel spring in the governor head to achieve the sensitivity of movement to the trip blades, but all works fine now.
I was supposed to set aside the project at the start of May, the start of the locomotive running season, but the desire to make bits played on....However, I've now ordered an acrylic cover which should arrive next week, and 'senior management'  has granted leave to put the engine on a cupboard in the conservatory.
I expect I shall not be able to resist making the odd bit when the rains come....one of the few benefits of the variable weather in the British 'summer' !
Thinking ahead....I need to simulate 'monkey-muck' insulation on the  visible pipework.  Have any of you any hints on how to achieve this neatly on 5/16", 7/16" and 15mm pipes ?
I can't say I'm looking forward to timing all the Corliss gear...any thoughts ?
I've attached some pics. of operations and work to date.
All the best,
Stuart
Stuart alias 'Jackdaw'

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #302 on: May 14, 2018, 08:30:32 PM »
Hi Guys - just to say I haven't been demoralised by the set back as you might perchance perceive, just that long overdue household duties have  taken precedent for a few days (and will for a few more  ::))

As you can see I am back on track though - another 120 pieces have been cut and stained ready for another go  ;) Incidentally, that small piece of ply laying on the box is all that's left of a 48" x 12" sheet of 1/32" birch ply - bit of a wasteful exercise for sure  :(

Hi Jack
I haven't even thought about valve timing as yet but I am intending to use Miliput as a means to simulate the pipework insulation. Looks like you are well into yours - why don't you start a new thread on your version - I'm sure others would be interested to see what you have done in more detail.

It will be at least a fortnight before I can get back at this with any degree of continuity - I really don't like working 'here and there' as I have been - so have decided that now that every thing is ready I'll leave the gluing until I can continue straight on with the machining.

Regards for now then,

Back soon - Tug

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #303 on: May 14, 2018, 10:05:28 PM »
Good Lord, and I thought granny Douglas had a lot of quilt pieces to keep up with whilst tending to her everyday household chores  :facepalm:  The flywheel is gonna be awesome

Whiskey

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh, NC. USA
« Reply #304 on: May 14, 2018, 11:08:35 PM »
Ramon, we've all been there; and though you hate to toss it all in the scrap bin, you know that you won't be happy otherwise.  Looks like you're off to a great start with this go round, and you'll be happier in the long run.

This build is a delight to see coming together.  :popcorn:
« Last Edit: May 22, 2018, 03:24:33 AM by Craig DeShong »
Craig
The destination motivates us toward excellence, the journey entertains us, and along the way we meet so many interesting people.

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #305 on: May 15, 2018, 05:51:16 PM »
Yeh, well practised at 'being there' Craig  ::) so no big issue here. It's a true old saying that those who've never made a mistake never made anything.

Thanks for the kind comment and looking in - you too Whiskey  :ThumbsUp:

I'll be back on this afore too long - Tug

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #306 on: May 20, 2018, 08:40:31 AM »
Still following along and enjoying the pictures  :ThumbsUp:  :ThumbsUp:  :wine1:
Best regards

Roger

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #307 on: May 20, 2018, 08:48:41 PM »
Thanks for looking in Roger :ThumbsUp:

Doing this from my old (and slow) laptop. The Windows 10 no choice but to do it, we're here to improve your PC etc  'new update' has totally and utterly buggered up my PC  >:( and I can't access a sodding thing, not even the bloody desktop. I have no knowledge of how to sort such matters so it's going to have to go in tomorrow - just hope they can fix it  'cause losing all on there is going to be a blow I don't want to even think about recovering from - fingers crossed then.

Regards for now - a very despondent Ol Tug ::)

Offline Steamer5

• Global Moderator
  • The "Naki" New Zealand
« Reply #308 on: May 21, 2018, 11:44:11 AM »
Hi Tug,
 I feel your pain!!
3 weeks ago used the old dinosaur to draw up something turned it off. Next day went to do something....."please insert boot disk".....oh oh this doesn't look good!  :killcomputer: :killcomputer:A week latter the new all bells & whistles was up & running......having being somewhat slack at backups.....well that will teach me!! One good thing about getting older you're not sure what you now don't have access too!!

Cheers Kerrin
Get excited and make something!

Offline tangler

• Christchurch, UK
« Reply #309 on: May 23, 2018, 10:03:03 PM »
Tug,

I hope they managed to sort out your laptop.  I had the same problem this morning and it's taken me all day to sort it out with the aid of the internet - seems to be something to do with the update conflicting with a third party virus checker - I use AVG.

On a more cheerful note I've sent you a PM,

Regards,

Rod

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #310 on: May 23, 2018, 11:40:34 PM »
Incidentally, that small piece of ply laying on the box is all that's left of a 48" x 12" sheet of 1/32" birch ply - bit of a wasteful exercise for sure  :(

It's only a waste if the learning and/or gained experience is not used.  ;D
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #311 on: May 25, 2018, 08:27:59 PM »
Hi Guys - Just back from a really super short break with Sue.

Phoned the Computer shop - apparently the Windows latest update caused the PC to crash >:( so well chuffed there to hear that. Whatever, I'm off to Cromer early in the morning sowith the bank hol coming up I shan't be back online properly till Tuesday - this old laptop is so painfully slow  ::)

Got your message Rod - no probs and will reply as soon as I'm up and running again next week.

Package arrived safely Dave - again that will have to wait a couple of days.

Whilst on hol went to a superb Stationary steam museum hopefully I'll have some pics to show too.

Thanks for looking in - with luck all will be back to normal next week

Regards - Tug

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #312 on: May 25, 2018, 08:37:22 PM »
So, sounds like you are having a smashing time with your very special lady and due to technical difficulties, beyond your control, we crusty lot will just have to be patient until your return. Damn good one on you, I would do the same thing  :lolb: :lolb:. Y’all have some more fun.

Whiskey

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #313 on: May 30, 2018, 11:54:20 PM »
Hi Tug ...just wondering about the governor linkage ...? is the rod fitted with a left and right handed thread  and does only one end need a locking nut ?  Good progress btw
Willy

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #314 on: May 31, 2018, 02:22:17 PM »
Hi Willy, Haven't got that far yet but yes I would be doing it with L&RH threads and yes it would only require a lock nut at one end.

I'm still in a bit of a limbo period - now on top of re-grouting the patio - boy I don't want to be doing that again, too much getting up and down for these old bones  :old:. I've set myself to re-felt the shed extension too before getting back on the flywheel so am waiting for a couple of days dry forecast as I need to let it dry out once the old felt is off - looks like that could be later in the week.

Been over to see my old friend Gordon today. I may have mentioned before - for some time he's been getting real bad dizzy spells and collapsing without warning. 'They' can't seem to find a reason and due to the worry of potentially collapsing at his lathe decided a few months back to get rid of his workshop contents in one foul swoop. He'd asked me over to give me his collection of BA fasteners plus one or two other bits and pieces he had left.  Lot's of sorting out to do  for sure  ;)

Just sixteen weeks or so to go Willy ;)

Regards - Tug

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal