Author Topic: Tug's Corliss Tandem Compound Project  (Read 94415 times)

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
Re: Tug's Corliss Tandem Compound Project
« Reply #270 on: May 02, 2018, 07:16:30 AM »
The pit looks very good Ramon, shame it will be hard to see most of it.

Also did not know you were that posh - cup and saucer for your tea in the workshop, whatever next ;)

J

Offline J.L.

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #271 on: May 02, 2018, 12:17:36 PM »
Hi Tug,

The flywheel pit is wonderful! I really like the nice green border trim.

The whole project has such an exciting feeling of expectation with its anticipated cutouts and raised plinths.

Lovery wooden surround around the flooring.

A delight to follow this thread Tug.  :ThumbsUp:

Cheers...John

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #272 on: May 02, 2018, 01:26:51 PM »
Hi guys - thanks for looking in and all your kind comments  :ThumbsUp:

Been busy this morning still prepping the parts for those boards so should be having some pics later.

The finger's fine though nibbling super glue off is not quite the same as it used to be with balsa cement - I'll bet there's quite a few of you who can remember that little pleasure  :D

Zee - Sue does a mean Chicken Jalfrezi on wild rice so pick up ol' Whiskey on your way and come on over  ;D Ah wouldn't that be great if you could.

Jason - tea is served at 4 pm prompt by the resident workshop hostess - good old Sue of course :D We have tea and cakes every afternoon in the workshop annexe where Sue keeps one of her tropical fish tanks - its not the same in a mug (even when it's a MEM mug Rod  ;) or an engine mug Dean ;) ;)) so cup and saucer it is  ;)

Kim - I have had the de-bonder in the past just none available this time. I've not stuck myself to a part before but did once have a real mess when concentrating on a part held by left hand while still holding the bottle in my right - I had pushed the capillary tube down inside the bottle for more control and the heat from my hand caused the CA to overflow all around my fingers. Fortunately that time I did have de-bonder but it still took some effort to get my fingers apart. I did once inadvertently stick Sue to one of my control line models but that's another story :D

JL - I haven't 'logged' in for a while so have not seen your latest progress - something to look forward too later  :ThumbsUp:

Back soon - Tug

"I ain't here for the long time but I am here for a good time"
(a very apt phrase - thanks to a well meaning MEM friend)

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #273 on: May 03, 2018, 07:52:18 AM »

Hi Guys - thought I'd better give you an update on what I've been up to. (I did this last night but just as I previewed it the site went down - fortunately I'd just saved it - phew  :)

As previously mentioned I intend to board in the flywheel which is in keeping with full size practice of an engine of this stature. I've decided to make that boarding fit a rebate in the rim and be held in place by the pressure of the hub plate. Doing this on the outer side is not an issue but the crank side would mean either the hub being captive or, as decided on, split in two and held together by a ring and cap.

First up, having drawn it out, was to produce the boards - 60 per side. These were cut from 0.8mm three ply left over from model aircraft days.

The ply was cut across the grain, the width to just over the length of a board, and a simple jig made using a piece of white faced particle board. Two strips of 1.5mm ply were super glued on it, spaced to retain the ply, and a metal guide strip set at 3 degrees screwed in place.

The 120 strips were cut off using a scalpel turning the ply over each time to create the 6 degree tapered boards.

Wider than finally required these will be machined to a true angle and width at a later stage but this gives an idea of the hoped for effect

A sub-plate of white faced particle board was bolted to a large faceplate and the ali discs cut out on the bandsaw.

A 6mm dowel locates the centre and twelve screws outside of the finished diameter required hold it firmly in place.

Due to the anticipated 'claggy' nature of the ali sheet a very sharply pointed tool was ground to trepan out a 30mm dia central hole...

....which is to take an insert that will locate the inner point of the boards. The board was also engraved on the lathe at the four quarters to act as positioning guides for the first four boards

The hubs began as silver soldered components, one 2mm larger than the other

Once turned the larger one was cut in two on the centre line and the faces lapped flat and cleaned of burrs.

This was then soft soldered together .....

.... then the two subsequent high points created by this were carefully linished off to enable initial holding in the SC 4 Jaw

Both were turned to the same dimensions with the split one having a register for a clamping ring. Once finished this was heated to break the join

The parts ready to fit (the hex head bolts are temporary  - it's intended to make square head ones)

That's the current state of play - next up is to make a fixture for holding the boards to machine them and get them stuck in place. This is all new territory for me but I feel fairly confident this will work out - that's put the kiss of death on that then  :D

It promises to be a nice day tomorrow so will be digging over the dhalia beds.

Regards from the old shid - Tug

Online sco

« Reply #274 on: May 03, 2018, 07:59:32 AM »
Masterclass Ramon!  Thanks for posting in such detail - lots of things to file away for future use  ;)

Simon.
Ars longa, vita brevis.

Offline kvom

« Reply #275 on: May 03, 2018, 01:14:34 PM »
I've never heard of a "boarded" flywheel.  Any historical pics around?

Online sco

Ars longa, vita brevis.

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #277 on: May 03, 2018, 02:17:09 PM »
Thanks sco.
I'd thought I knew but couldn't find any pictures.

Seems Jo had done something like that.  :thinking:

Looking forward to seeing yours Ramon!
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #278 on: May 03, 2018, 04:36:19 PM »
Excellent post Tug. Chock full of good technique and excellent pictures.
Thanks!
Kim

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #279 on: May 03, 2018, 06:53:22 PM »
Hi Simon - hows it going with your engine?

Thanks for the link but here's a pic of the effect I'm after. This is Corlisss valved engine in beautiful condition at the Manchester Museum of Science and Technology. I went there many years ago and somewhere I have loads of (pre digital) photos of this engine taken at the time.

I don't intend to stain mine quite so dark but hope I'll get the effect. Not much done today though I have found time to make a start on the jig - digging as planned then 'taken'  ;) to a couple of garden centres this afternoon. Bought some wonderful Port and Brandy infused rich fruit cake - tea and a good slice of that cake plus a nap saw the rest of the day off  :Lol:

Thanks for looking in Zee and Kim  :ThumbsUp:

Regards for now - Tug

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #280 on: May 03, 2018, 07:14:35 PM »
Thats a beautiful engine. What is the reason for the boards though? Keeping the workers from getting caught was usually not a concern back then.

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #281 on: May 03, 2018, 07:19:25 PM »
Hi Chris - I believe that the main reason was windage - to cut down on drag I guess but I stand to be corrected. I agree there was little regard to safety so hardly likely to be that.

The one thing that really struck me about this engine at the time was the lovely colour(s) of the planished steel lagging - something else I'm hoping to be able to replicate in due course

Thanks for looking in  :ThumbsUp: - Tug

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #282 on: May 03, 2018, 07:46:26 PM »
Hi Chris - I believe that the main reason was windage - to cut down on drag I guess but I stand to be corrected. I agree there was little regard to safety so hardly likely to be that.

The one thing that really struck me about this engine at the time was the lovely colour(s) of the planished steel lagging - something else I'm hoping to be able to replicate in due course

Thanks for looking in  :ThumbsUp: - Tug
And the bicylcle racers think THEY invented that!   :Lol:

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #283 on: May 03, 2018, 11:35:58 PM »
Dammit Tug, you always seem to come up with a “one up” . All I could think of when I saw the piccys was an old style “board track” for motorcycles. I could also suspect, that in certain mill applications, it would be beneficial to have a solid surface so as not to suck up so much stuff. I would assume that a solid surface wouldn’t stir up as much “fines” as a spoked wheel would. BTW, how’s them butterbeans coming along  8)

Whiskey

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #284 on: May 04, 2018, 08:09:20 AM »
Morning Whiskey, - 'one up' eh?

Well I've been in the ol shid since six this morning cleaning down in the hope that I would find a 4mm slip that's gone walk about  :(. Just finished going through the entire contents of the waste bin but to no avail - amazing how much paper roll you get through between bags. Searched contents of two vacuum ups too but that little bugger has hidden itself well. Usually I'm very careful using slips - use and return immediately to box - I can remember using it but not where I bloody put it, if I did. Hopefully it's fell into some storage under the bench so having that lot out is the next thing on the cards.

Butter Beans - doin' well, goin' fine with t'maters ;)

Oh well, back to hunt the slip - nobody move, it's round here somewhere  :Lol:

:cheers: Tug

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal