Author Topic: Tug's Corliss Tandem Compound Project  (Read 94635 times)

Offline MJM460

• Melbourne, Australia
Re: Tug's Corliss Tandem Compound Project
« Reply #585 on: December 25, 2020, 12:12:32 AM »
Beautiful Ramon, wonderful to see it working so well.  Such an interesting valve mechanism to watch in operation.  Impressive workmanship in every detail.  As usual with your builds, it has been fascinating and instructive to follow.  Words seem inadequate.  And a beautifully made video despite your computer problems.

Thanks to Phil for finding it for us.

I must say I liked your sense of humour with the finger, but it’s a pity it had to be such a painful experience.  Just too easy for these little slips to happen.

Have a very joyful Christmas despite the inconvenience of lockdown, and a happy and safe new year.

MJM460

The more I learn, the more I find that I still have to learn!

Online Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #586 on: December 25, 2020, 12:59:01 AM »
Wow! what a Master Piece!
Absolutely beautiful work and result!

Dave

Offline fumopuc

• Munich, Germany, EU
« Reply #587 on: December 25, 2020, 06:41:24 AM »
Hi Tug, a beautiful piece of art. Running so smoothly in low revs. Great job.
Kind Regards
Achim

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #588 on: December 25, 2020, 07:06:32 AM »
Another top notch model as we have all come to expect from you, thanks for sharing the build with us in your usual informative way.

Happy Xmas.

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #589 on: December 25, 2020, 07:24:39 AM »
Amazing Tug!  I love watching the valve gear snap into place.  Its just beautiful to watch!
Thanks for fighting the posting demons and getting the video uploaded.  It was well worth it!

Kim

Online sco

« Reply #590 on: December 25, 2020, 10:36:59 AM »
Absolutely terrific Tug!  What an awesome piece of work - love all the details in the hand rails, oiling system, guard etc.

Top job!

Merry Christmas to you and Sue,

Simon.
Ars longa, vita brevis.

Offline kvom

« Reply #591 on: December 25, 2020, 01:11:23 PM »
Amazing work.  Seeing your fingers at the start surprised me as to the size of the cylinders.  I had supposed they were a good bit larger, and thus the detail work even more impressive.

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #592 on: December 25, 2020, 07:03:16 PM »
What a fantastic result Ramon - you should be very happy with it  :praise2:
I can't add any that haven't already been said - but I enjoyed watching the video.

Seeing it running, the flywheel kind of reminds me of the big steam engine in the Transport Museum in Glasgow. Here the cable(s) running round the flywheel down to the subway tunnel below where it pulls the coaches. The driver had a few handles - one of them engaged a "brake/clutch", round the cable. With that one active, the coach moved along the line. Another one braked the "wheels on the car" and the last one was an emergency wire cutter - in case the "clutch" wouldn't release. With this system they avoided steam and most of the bad air in the tunnels.

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #593 on: December 25, 2020, 07:11:26 PM »
Absolutely BEAUTIFUL :ThumbsUp: :praise2: :praise2:   Thanks for posting in such detail.      Terry

Offline derekwarner

• Wollongong ...... Australia
« Reply #594 on: December 25, 2020, 10:35:32 PM »
The triggering movement for the steam valving is  :hammerbash: even at the estimated 120 RPM for the majority of the video...absolutely amazing

The background music of Herr Beethoven's Fur Elise? commencing @ 0:26 seconds is in a complimentary rhythm with the engine movement

So the main steam valve [with the rising spindle] also has an isolation valve tapped into the main valve body....is the for an unloading function of steam from the pressure side of the main valve piston seat?

A fitting show for Christmas....thanks for sharing

Derek

« Last Edit: December 26, 2020, 05:42:15 AM by derekwarner »
Derek L Warner - Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op - Australia
www.ils.org.au

Offline deltatango

• Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #595 on: December 26, 2020, 08:15:49 AM »
Just back from Christmas with very limited internet access and I find a wonderful present from Tug. Thank you!

I probably won't reach near the same standards but at least I know for sure that a Throp-Southworth tandem Corliss will work, and work brilliantly.

I really hope that Bob Potter can get to see this.

Regards, and best wishes for 2021,

David
Don't die wondering!

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #596 on: December 26, 2020, 11:35:04 AM »
Hi Guys - Sue just told me this is working a bit better this morning so I'll have a try.

Thank you all for the kind comments - I'm just glad you could see the video. It's still a blank area in Phil's post so something is totally awry on this PC (7 years old). Thanks Phil for doing that.

Derek, nice to see you here - hope you are well. The 'isolation valve' has full pressure of incoming air (the engine will only be run on air with me these days) which is used to pressurise the lubrication system - the lubricator is just a distribution block described in previous posts.  Top marks for Beethoven - Moonlight Sonata though. It's on a disc of music accompanying  'thunderstorms' played when Radio Three gets a bit too avante guarde!

Simon nice to hear from you too - been a while. Hope this inspires you to finish yours maybe we'll get to Forncett this year - fingers crossed. All the best for the New Year to you and Wendy.

Well guys - hopefully this will post without too much issue. I'm going to have a short break but have another project in the offing so will be back - but not before this computer is replaced - going into Tier Four may have an effect on that happening soon however and it's far too frustrating to keep on trying to upload images.

Thanks again to all who look in whether you comment or not - it's all much appreciated.

Back soon - Tug
"I ain't here for the long time but I am here for a good time"
(a very apt phrase - thanks to a well meaning MEM friend)

Offline pgp001

• West Yorkshire - UK
« Reply #597 on: December 26, 2020, 11:42:50 AM »

I really hope that Bob Potter can get to see this.

Regards, and best wishes for 2021,

David

Good call, I will forward Bob a link to the video.

Phil

Offline modelsteam

• Cambridgeshire in the UK
« Reply #598 on: December 26, 2020, 12:44:57 PM »

"Nice one Squirrel "   keep them coming . A great result and looking forward to your next project.

Chris  :old:

Offline Dennis

« Reply #599 on: December 27, 2020, 03:16:48 PM »
Hello Ramon,
Simon told me about your tandem Corliss so I had a look at the build this morning.  It is really a beautiful model and wonderfully detailed.  Congratulations on a model well built.

Dennis

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal